Survivalist Forum banner
261 - 280 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree, but….
I’d be less worried about the barrel, and more worried about the bolt parts, and as you are looking at, how it handles a “lack of maintenance”.👍
Yea something in the bcg would likely fail first, but at least thats easy enough to carry a spare. With my luck it would fail at the worst possible moment lol. I purposely put my rifle to the test since I got it new to be certain its dependable in the worst conditions.

Just as a side note, I dont think the gun would have made it 2k rounds with oil as it would have burned off. Ive been using milcomm gun grease which was turned black and gritty at the end but still providing enough lube to not have a problem. In a dry/dusty climate i would probably avoid grease as its a magnet for grit and probably carry a small bottle of oil in my grip storage compartment to relube as needed.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
🤣🤣 We're in the middle of a rifle training cycle. I've shot between 250-300 rds a day, everyday (Mon-Fri), for the last 6 weeks. All through the same rifle, which hadn't been cleaned in about a year. Still no cleanings, just lube.

I break it down every two weeks, and inspect the bolt. Closing in on 100k through that gun, since 2003. On my 5th barrel, 2nd BCG, and 4th bolt...then a few springs here and there (that's from memory - my gun book is at work). I've cleaned it less than 20 times. Quality guns will take a beating, as long as you lube them.

·
Dirt Dweller
1,568 Posts
I did a PSA build 4 years ago. 10.5 in barrel with total expense about $300 plus RDS. I shoot it 50 to 100 yards so I buy what ever is cheap. I’m talking Russian junk and stuff I can’t pronounce. Ive put over 4000 rounds through it with no problems other than replacing the firing with a Colt. Totally flawless. I have pistols that cost as much as the ”better” ARs. I have other ARs I shoot out to 300 yards but my 10.5 is shoter range. The AR design is great. Not need to spend a bunch of money on it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Your not building an AR for $300 these days, unless you have a bunch of spare parts.

Im running the LMT enhanced BCG in my ARs which the bolt is supposed to last longer. Ive read several places that they haven't seen any reports of those bolts failing but who knows. I carry a full spare BCG where ever the gun goes along with a spare parts kit. The spare BCG is a DD take off form my MK18. Spare parts kit is made up of extra parts form LPKs, triggers Ive replaced etc.

·
Semper Fi
11,259 Posts
Great to have redundancy but if S really HTF no one is grabbing 4 rifles to lug around. IMO that redundancy is better placed in common failure parts. Bolts springs etc.
I also have a spare bolt and other misc parts.

However I'm not "lugging" anything around. We are where we are at and aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I also have a spare bolt and other misc parts.

However I'm not "lugging" anything around. We are where we are at and aren't going anywhere.
That's a great plan, I wish I could be in your shoes and never have to leave my place is SHTF. Im not that prepared Im certainly gonna have to leave to get food water other supplies at some point. and my house is not yet fireproof, lightning or tornado proof since we happen to be having several of those this year around my location. I also don't have private security to keep people out when I do have to step out. Id love to live in a bubble and not have to worry out outside factors, just not there yet.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Wait.....you guys dont clean and lube your weapons at the end of everyday shooting? Are you conserving your Hoppes? Is this a prep I didnt consider? All of those used that day? And you dont have failures?

I generally run about 4-6 mags per shoot and between 50-150 rounds on the revolver and my CZ, including dry transitions and mag change exercises. I do this once or twice a month these days. When everyone had kids, we did it 3-4 times a month, the kids used thier 38s. We trained ourselves and our kids in how to do that starting in the Obama years. When was the last you guys wore a blindfold breaking down your weapon or practicing dry transitions? Ever done shoot n scoots at night? Shooting at random flashing lights set up down range? Completely different world. Frustrating but fun as hell.

We did dry runs first but the live fire ones were a real bitch to work out. We drill with both eyes open, so at night we tried shooting with your weaker eye so you can still move effectively. Ummm, most kept forgetting and going night blind anyway, me too! Then we got the red dots and switched up tactics. Still night blind but it kind of fixed that, so you could put the dot on the flashes. Alot of fun but not effective shooting without a PS14 ? Someone please correct me on the number, if you would. That's never been a possibility, for me. Too many other goals and expenses.

When I was younger that was shoot n scoots but now it's more hobble n shoots. That's one of my many tasks this weekend, moving those shooting windows around at the farm range (and airing out RVs, planting yet more potatoes, prepping more rows, bucking up a dead blow over).

How often do you guys clean your weapons? And with what (liquid and tools). Last, how do you guys train? How often that way? Not judging, just afraid that I have been over doing or under doing it. I'm not combat effective for a while, just like to have fun and keep my diminishing mobility.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Wait.....you guys dont clean and lube your weapons at the end of everyday shooting? Are you conserving your Hoppes? Is this a prep I didnt consider? All of those used that day? And you dont have failures?

I generally run about 4-6 mags per shoot and between 50-150 rounds on the revolver and my CZ, including dry transitions and mag change exercises. I do this once or twice a month these days. When everyone had kids, we did it 3-4 times a month, the kids used thier 38s. We trained ourselves and our kids in how to do that starting in the Obama years. When was the last you guys wore a blindfold breaking down your weapon or practicing dry transitions? Ever done shoot n scoots at night? Shooting at random flashing lights set up down range? Completely different world. Frustrating but fun as hell.

We did dry runs first but the live fire ones were a real bitch to work out. We drill with both eyes open, so at night we tried shooting with your weaker eye so you can still move effectively. Ummm, most kept forgetting and going night blind anyway, me too! Then we got the red dots and switched up tactics. Still night blind but it kind of fixed that, so you could put the dot on the flashes. Alot of fun but not effective shooting without a PS14 ? Someone please correct me on the number, if you would. That's never been a possibility, for me. Too many other goals and expenses.

When I was younger that was shoot n scoots but now it's more hobble n shoots. That's one of my many tasks this weekend, moving those shooting windows around at the farm range (and airing out RVs, planting yet more potatoes, prepping more rows, bucking up a dead blow over).

How often do you guys clean your weapons? And with what (liquid and tools). Last, how do you guys train? How often that way? Not judging, just afraid that I have been over doing or under doing it. I'm not combat effective for a while, just like to have fun and keep my diminishing mobility.

Thanks!
I rarely clean. I am a fulltime instructor on a large metroplitan PD. We run 56 shooters a day (two 28-shooter 8-hour shifts), an average of 48 weeks a year. I shoot a lot at work, and then do it all over again. As such, my time not shooting is fairly precious to me - I don't want to spend any of it cleaning, when there is no reason to.

Add in an average of 8-10 shooting classes a year as a student, the 3-4 private classes I teach every year, and the multiple training days/weeks my group does, and I even spend my vacation time shooting.

I clean (what most people would actually consider a "cleaning,") after any situation my guns get coated in mud, after any water-related training, when the gun in question needs to go to someone else for repair, or once a year if a gun hasn't met one of those bars. That takes 10-15 mins per gun.

I wipe down (literally what it sounds like - field strip, then run a rag across the parts) my guns every 3-5000 rounds, to inspect for wear/breakage.

I lube before every day of shooting. If conditions are wet, or have been, I'll put a thin coat of oil on all exposed steel.

On my precision guns, I actually clean those every 2-3000 rounds.

I use primarily Slip 2000 products to clean, and Lucas Gun Oil to lube. I have some Hoppes around that comes into play for stuff the Slip isn't getting.

My guns are all tools. I expect them to function with minimal maintenance, under borderline abusive conditions.

Good article about the hazards of overcleaning:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
As far as training...I'm a bit of a training junkie. I train everything from pure marksmanship and weapon manipulation, to lowlight with white lights, to no-light with nvg's, to medical, to cqb, to precision, to SUT, to vehicle ambush/counterambush, to injured shooter ...handguns, rifles, precision rifles, and shotguns. Empty hand, blades, and impact weapons.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My normal cleaning regimen is around 500 -1k i’ll wipe the old grease off the bcg and apply new, maybe take a q-tip and swab out any large brass crumbs. Usually dont need to do a full strip and clean until around 2-3k. About every other shooting though, i’ll prop the rifle up muzzle pointing down and squirt some clp down the barrel and give it one pass with a boresnake and one pass with an oiled patch. I had a barrel get rusty once and and so im overcautious about that if I can help it.

·
Shill for the Federal Gov
992 Posts
IDK if that is an accurate statement on the low end anyone I know that owns an AR puts 250 rnds a month that hits your 2500 mark in less than a year. maybe that just people I know and meet at the ranges I go to.
That's people who shoot. Most people who have firearms don't really shoot, that includes Survivalists/preppers.

I know I'll get a lot of push back-replies on this saying I'm full of it, but, out of all of the people I know with firearms, including CHL holders who carry every day, besides myself, I only know two other people who shoot regularly. The rest never shoot. Putting three rounds through the 300 win mag the weekend before hunting season doesn't count. Impulse buying an AR and doing a few mags dumps with your brother in law doesn't count.

Come to think of it, most people I know don't even have a sling for their rifles, spare magazines, or even a freakin holster for their pistol/s.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That's people who shoot. Most people who have firearms don't really shoot, that includes Survivalists/preppers.

I know I'll get a lot of push back-replies on this saying I'm full of it, but, out of all of the people I know with firearms, including CHL holders who carry every day, besides myself, I only know two other people who shoot regularly. The rest never shoot. Putting three rounds through the 300 win mag the weekend before hunting season doesn't count. Impulse buying an AR and doing a few mags dumps with your brother in law doesn't count.

Come to think of it, most people I know don't even have a sling for their rifles, spare magazines, or even a freakin holster for their pistol/s.
"Why spend 1500 on an AR, when I can spend 500 on the AR, then 1000 on training and ammo?" ~guys who never do.

I train all over the country. In 20+ years of doing so, the literal handful of guys I have seen at classes with budget ARs have been the only ones I have seen need to go to a second AR when theirs breaks. I always travel with spares. I have never needed to use one of them, but I have lent them out to dudes who came with crappy rifles that failed.

I was in one 3-day class where a father and son duo showed up with some homebrew AR's both failed on Day One, multiple times (constant non-magazine related bolt overrides, and double feeds). Both finished the class shooting my rifles.

Went to another class, several states away, with a nationally-known instructor, with two friends. Friend 1 was running a Bushmaster, whose gas key came off during a string of fire (Bushhamster is famous for their lack of staking). He finished with one of my spare BCMs.

Guys who pinch pennies on their guns, by and large, are not dropping the money to go to classes. They also tend to consider "training" to be a mag dump, and firing a handful of groups from the bench. Just what I have noticed.

·
Semper Fi
11,259 Posts
That's a great plan, I wish I could be in your shoes and never have to leave my place is SHTF. Im not that prepared Im certainly gonna have to leave to get food water other supplies at some point. and my house is not yet fireproof, lightning or tornado proof since we happen to be having several of those this year around my location. I also don't have private security to keep people out when I do have to step out. Id love to live in a bubble and not have to worry out outside factors, just not there yet.
The bubble we live in is called, "rural Arizona". Something happens to the house we have several options right on the property. We don't need private security...we have armed neighbors.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
Several of those scenarios are not likely to require a thousand rounds of ammo to get through.

If you’re leaving to get water, and are thinking you need a few hundred rounds on tap to make it back to the house….you are NOT actually prepared.

Where you live is part of the preps. People that pretend they can take care of that part of the preps after they retire because their job pays too well, or whatever their excuse is, are rolling the dice.

·
Semper Fi
11,259 Posts
I rarely clean. I am a fulltime instructor on a large metroplitan PD. We run 56 shooters a day (two 28-shooter 8-hour shifts), an average of 48 weeks a year. I shoot a lot at work, and then do it all over again. As such, my time not shooting is fairly precious to me - I don't want to spend any of it cleaning, when there is no reason to.

Add in an average of 8-10 shooting classes a year as a student, the 3-4 private classes I teach every year, and the multiple training days/weeks my group does, and I even spend my vacation time shooting.

I clean (what most people would actually consider a "cleaning,") after any situation my guns get coated in mud, after any water-related training, when the gun in question needs to go to someone else for repair, or once a year if a gun hasn't met one of those bars. That takes 10-15 mins per gun.

I wipe down (literally what it sounds like - field strip, then run a rag across the parts) my guns every 3-5000 rounds, to inspect for wear/breakage.

I lube before every day of shooting. If conditions are wet, or have been, I'll put a thin coat of oil on all exposed steel.

On my precision guns, I actually clean those every 2-3000 rounds.

I use primarily Slip 2000 products to clean, and Lucas Gun Oil to lube. I have some Hoppes around that comes into play for stuff the Slip isn't getting.

My guns are all tools. I expect them to function with minimal maintenance, under borderline abusive conditions.

Good article about the hazards of overcleaning:

Iirc, the Army did a test where they white glove cleaned an M16 every day for 4 years and without it ever having been shot during that time it was unserviceable at the end.

261 - 280 of 317 Posts