Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARs of Russian Inspiration

"What do you get when you cross an AR with an AK? You get the Rock River Arms LAR-47, which accepts AK-47 mags and is chambered in 7.62 X 39 Russian.
Gracing the cover of the March 12, 2012 issue of Gun Digest the Magazine is the Centurion 39, an American-made AK-47, from our comrades at Century Arms. It may be domestically produced, but it’s hard to look at this black gun and not feel the piercing, menacing stare of Josef Stalin himself.

In terms of sheer numbers, probably more Mauser 98s have been produced historically than AKs..."

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-blogs/tactical-military-arms-blog/ars-of-russian-inspiration

Attachments

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
While I like AR-15s and 7.62x39 but not AKs and 5.56, AR 7.62 bolts have problems and the weak AR extractor is not ideal for steel cased ammo.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great. Another piece of tacticrap for the tactinerds to tactidrool over (provided they have ACOG's and 4 different vertical foregrips of course).
I just put a QUAD Rail on my rig, it really helps me out in CQC and combat in the cities have the 4 fore grips. I can use my weapon laying on either side, standing up and even hangin upside down. Soon as a get some more money saved I am adding 4 ACOG's to complete the package.

Gonna be ready when the SHTF...:thumb:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Quad rail? *****. My rails have rails and I replaced all my black P-Mags with tan ones. I even replaced the GI-issue mags I was using to level all my furniture with H&K ones, so much stronger...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I got a solution..

buy both the AR and AK. I was on the fence about this. I like the punching power the AK offers and I like the accuracy of the AR. Instead of wondering which to buy, I'll just get both.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I think the 300BLK is a better solution. AK-47 type ballistics using a regular AR bolt/mags/everything but the barrel.

The piston operated AR-15/M4 (all of them are, and have been, since the weapon was invented--read Stoner's patent.) is a reliable weapon, and I have no desire to use a different operating system simply for the sake of it.

However, the 5.56x45 has all the horsepower I need. Others may require that heavier projectile, as it does tend to do better against most barriers.

As to the AR extractor/Steel cases. It isn't a problem. The issue arises when people do not clean the chamber frequently. The 5.56x45 is a tapered case cartridge, but not like the AK round is. When the steel cases fail to obdurate effectively (as they do, when compared to brass), blow-by is allowed into the chamber, and it is fouled. This causes subsequent rounds to fail to eject after a certain point. It also led to the rumor that the lacquer Wolf, was "melting" and coating chambers, so Wolf went to the inferior "poly" style of coating, and now we have posts about "My Wolf is rusting...". The Lacquer worked just fine, and way better as a preservative. So rather, while the extractor will experience perhaps infinitesimally more wear secondary to the soft steel casings, it is rather the case/chamber's lack of aggressive taper, lack of efficient obduration under pressure characteristic of the mild steel used, and the failure to maintain the weapon's chamber properly, that will cause SOME PEOPLE and SOME WEAPONS to have issues with Wolf and other steel-case ammunition in 5.56 caliber in their AR's. I have seen far too many Wolf casings with the rim ripped off to say the extractor in and of itself is to blame. Further, I never saw any advanced wear on any of my AR's from using Wolf.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts