Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am looking to custom build my first AR, I think I have decided on the LMT Defense 2000 for the lower, and I have no idea for a upper receiver. I'm trying to keep the whole gun under 1400, and te lower runs about 350$.
I would really like atleast a 10in hamdguard or bigger, and if it costs more than about 500, it does need to be a piston operated.
Thank you.
Will OFarrell

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,118 Posts
I'd suggest a standard AR, mil spec stuff. 16 inch, 1 in 7 barrel. Nothing fancy, put good optics on it, (ACOG) keep the handguard short and light, keep it light overall, and enjoy it for what it is, a lighweight, compact, high capacity, easy to wield, capable little rifle.

I clearly understand the pull of a specialized, high end gun. with a 2 foot long, keymod handguard, forward grip, BUIS, match barrel and so on. However, the AR platform and 223 being what it is, I see no need to make it as heavy as a 308 with all sorts of additional stuff. In fact, I strongly dislike unbalanced, nose heavy AR's

I see no real world benefit from piston uppers either. Nor do I see a reliability improvement by going with a piston upper. Both gas impingement and piston uppers are equally reliable.

Piston uppers may have a downside as the piston driven AR "may" be less accurate. And parts are uncommon. Suppressors are said to be better paired with a gas gun, not a piston, for tuning.

I have tens of thousands of rounds downrange. The only AR reliability issues I've ever had are related to the ammo and not the gun. I don't throw my guns down the gravel driveway, and I don't pour sand into a fine piece of machinery. I keep my stuff clean and properly maintained. Surprisingly, that works every time.

If you want to shoot longer distances, go for a 308.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd suggest a standard AR, mil spec stuff. 16 inch, 1 in 7 barrel. Nothing fancy, put good optics on it, (ACOG) keep the handguard short and light, keep it light overall, and enjoy it for what it is, a lighweight, compact, high capacity, easy to wield, capable little rifle.

I clearly understand the pull of a specialized, high end gun. with a 2 foot long, keymod handguard, forward grip, BUIS, match barrel and so on. However, the AR platform and 223 being what it is, I see no need to make it as heavy as a 308 with all sorts of additional stuff. In fact, I strongly dislike unbalanced, nose heavy AR's

I see no real world benefit from piston uppers either. Nor do I see a reliability improvement by going with a piston upper. Both gas impingement and piston uppers are equally reliable.

Piston uppers may have a downside as the piston driven AR "may" be less accurate. And parts are uncommon. Suppressors are said to be better paired with a gas gun, not a piston, for tuning.

I have tens of thousands of rounds downrange. The only AR reliability issues I've ever had are related to the ammo and not the gun. I don't throw my guns down the gravel driveway, and I don't pour sand into a fine piece of machinery. I keep my stuff clean and properly maintained. Surprisingly, that works every time.

If you want to shoot longer distances, go for a 308.
Ok, well I'm really looking for brand names, and I think I'll get the full, because I do eventually plan on competition 3-gun and full barrel guards are best for those.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,118 Posts
Ok, well I'm really looking for brand names, and I think I'll get the full, because I do eventually plan on competition 3-gun and full barrel guards are best for those.
Ah ha! That makes some sense. Does a mix n match gun with various quality "brand" names behind it have additional value? (don't actually know)

Also, I was not trying to get you to purchase low quality. Far from it. A quality lower, trigger group, upper and barrel when chosen correctly, make a quality gun.

I did not have any idea of your needs. And, I'm sure you can see how people become captivated by awesome quality parts, then construct something that is not ideal.

As I suggested, it's really easy to make a very front heavy, rather unbalanced AR by installing a heavier than necessary barrel, and long, heavy handguard, along with other toys. Looks cool though.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Bcm is a great way to go, especially since you can the the bcg and changing handle for $70 when you buy the upper.

You can also buy a Daniel defense ar upper for not much more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you must have a piston upper, why not a LMT piston upper for that LMT lower? Granted they are quite pricey though.

Another popular option would be Adams Arms piston uppers. They have uppers starting around $600. There are also Sig 516 piston uppers as well, but they start around $1,100

Otherwise, stick with a direct impingement system, Plenty of options available (barrel lengths and types) and there are more rail options available with the DI system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts