Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Semper Fi
10,662 Posts
In my opinion the mag fed shotguns are basically a range toy. My former range buddy bought one and after fiddling with it finally got it to shoot reliably.

They have a very limited niche for certain times such as quickly switching from buckshot to breaching rounds for LEO/Mil.

Other than that they have taken a weapon that has been distilled down to its simplest core over a hundred plus years of use and needlessly complicated it. Those mags have to be carried somehow and take up space/weight that would be better served by more ammo.

Grab a pump/semi tube mag shotgun and a satchel with shells and you are good to go with nothing extra to worry about. The mag fed shotgun can't easily be topped up during a lull in the action like a tube fed can. Go ahead try the shoot-two-load-two drill if you doubt me. With proper on the fly reloading of a tube fed gun you greatly lessen the risk of facing a bad guy with an empty gun.

The mags aren't cheap and really don't hold that many more rounds than a tube mag. My Win 1300 holds 8 rounds (more with mini-shells) without the hassle of a mag.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I am curious about muzzle flare from anyone having shot the AR platform.

I have the lynx 12 and love it, but the muzzle flare is horrible, takes way too long to get back on target compared to like a Remington 1100-11-87.

Been shopping muzzle brakes but haven't picked one yet. want the best but hard to tell what that really is. bench testing is different than actual shooting.
As I stated in my earlier post, I run a Tromix door breach muzzle brake. The best brake for shotguns. It’s a joy to shoot, with it installed.

·
Registered
15,107 Posts
I have a Saiga, unconverted. I paid $370 for it back when everyone considered them a toy. My SIL had bought his a year earlier for $250, and I had bought the 7.62x39 for $170.

Might want to buy the Turkish guns now, before the rush.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Box fed semi auto shotguns use to be like unicorns.

Not so much anymore and that is a good thing.

Given the overwhelming popularity of box fed pistols and rifles, it's not surprising that shotguns would (eventually) get the same style magazine.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
The utility of a box magazine cannot be over stated. They are superior to tube magazines. If a tube magazine becomes damaged in any way you've got a real problem.

If a box magazine becomes damaged you strip out the damaged magazine and insert a fresh magazine. It's an immediate solution to a problem.

Also, inserting a fresh box magazine is a quick and easy reload when compared to stuffing individual shells through a loading gate.

That said, I still like tube fed shotguns, even though a box fed shotgun has a number of advantages.

·
Semper Fi
10,662 Posts
The utility of a box magazine cannot be over stated. They are superior to tube magazines. If a tube magazine becomes damaged in any way you've got a real problem.

If a box magazine becomes damaged you strip out the damaged magazine and insert a fresh magazine. It's an immediate solution to a problem.

Also, inserting a fresh box magazine is a quick and easy reload when compared to stuffing individual shells through a loading gate.

That said, I still like tube fed shotguns, even though a box fed shotgun has a number of advantages.
As I said before, other than a FEW very niche applications a mag fed shotgun has zero benefits over the tube.

When was the last time ANYONE has heard of a tube mag being damaged??

Common shotgun practice is (for example) to shoot two - load two, which keeps the mag topped up. With a tube gun and a satchel of shells there is no real down time during the fight. Lets see you do that with a box mag.

As to slow, with practice speed loading a tube is easy.

Reactions: NHCraigT and SoJ_51

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
4,982 Posts
My wife loves hers (12 ga) don't recall the "brand" but the muzzle flash wasn't bad at all in low light even with 3" shells (has muzzle flash hider) I've shot it some and it's a blast, functions great as well, hers the 5 round hold 3" but the aftermarket 10 rounds only handle 2 3/4" shells.

Steel shot is for when it is legally required in this household, lead buckshot out of a 12 ga is not to be taken lightly IMO
It is a "Tri Star' TRX tactical btw.

·
That'll be the day...
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, my buddy has "ranged" his gun several times now.... not a single jam and actually fun to shoot....

sooooooo

I went out and got the exact same thing....

Can't wait to shoot and break it in.

As I said before, other than a FEW very niche applications a mag fed shotgun has zero benefits over the tube.
I just can't buy this..... How can a tube with 5 rounds be better than a mag with 10?

·
Registered
854 Posts
In my opinion the mag fed shotguns are basically a range toy. My former range buddy bought one and after fiddling with it finally got it to shoot reliably.

They have a very limited niche for certain times such as quickly switching from buckshot to breaching rounds for LEO/Mil.

Other than that they have taken a weapon that has been distilled down to its simplest core over a hundred plus years of use and needlessly complicated it. Those mags have to be carried somehow and take up space/weight that would be better served by more ammo.

Grab a pump/semi tube mag shotgun and a satchel with shells and you are good to go with nothing extra to worry about. The mag fed shotgun can't easily be topped up during a lull in the action like a tube fed can. Go ahead try the shoot-two-load-two drill if you doubt me. With proper on the fly reloading of a tube fed gun you greatly lessen the risk of facing a bad guy with an empty gun.

The mags aren't cheap and really don't hold that many more rounds than a tube mag. My Win 1300 holds 8 rounds (more with mini-shells) without the hassle of a mag.
Quick question, Does your 1300 shoot the mini shells without an adapter? I’ve got one and always been curious but haven’t thrown down in the minis because I thought they needed an adapter on the lifter.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Had a friend send me these pics. He bought this from an online dealer and then he found this ammo at WalMart.

Palmetto has this gun for-sale, today for $329.

His comment was.....

"This is an awesome choice when 556 and 762 and 308 can't be found anywhere. Shotgun ammo is available everywhere. After 100 rounds, it was cycling like butter."

I think I am coming around to his thinking!!!!

How much does that sucker weigh with a full mag in it?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Well, my buddy has "ranged" his gun several times now.... not a single jam and actually fun to shoot....

sooooooo

I just can't buy this..... How can a tube with 5 rounds be better than a mag with 10?

Flip that last statement around its just as applicable I think.

For me it's the weight and bulk of the mag hanging down that I just don't care for on any shotgun. If it's your main long gun you plan on carrying ok, the added mag capacity makes sense.

I much prefer a rifle, with a short barrel pump slung myself.

·
Semper Fi
10,662 Posts
Quick question, Does your 1300 shoot the mini shells without an adapter? I’ve got one and always been curious but haven’t thrown down in the minis because I thought they needed an adapter on the lifter.
Yes it does. In fact when those shells first came out the Win1300 was the only shotgun that they worked with.

·
Semper Fi
10,662 Posts

sooooooo

That 10rd mag hangs way below the shotgun. What do you do when it is empty and you still need to keep shooting. For a range toy or limited use gun that 10rds sounds like enough. Try taking a combat shotgun course and you WILL see what a pain in the butt a mag shotgun is. There is simply no easy way to top up that box mag like is possible with a tube.

My 18.5" Win 1300 carries 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. So I get 8rds (+ 6 on sidesaddle) without having to mess around with a box mag. If I shoot two I can easily load two from the shell carrier or even just from my pocket.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Registered
158 Posts
Keep hearing how these magazine feed shotguns are **** from people who don't own them! Yet people who do own them talk about how much they like them!

I have only had the chance to shot one magazine feed shotgun when I was in the military that was the AA-12 it was a lot of fun! Shooting full auto slugs with one hand! Using 00 buck and a drum or stick magazine down a hallway there is now escape. Clearing rooms was so easy as it just destroyed everything. During our 4 days of testing each AA-12 went through about 5,000+ rounds from slug, 00 buck, Bird shot and special round like door breaching. Of the 10 weapon that we got to play with one had a failure to feed that was because of ammo the shell only had a primer and no power.

I have talked to Winchester, Remington, Mossberg and even Benelli representatives and asked them why they don't try making a magazine feed shotgun they all gave a song and dance saying it can't be done then I bring up the AA-12! There all quite after that!

Looking for an AR style they have been on the market over the pond for some years and a lot of three gun shooters over there use them in competitions! Typhoon F-12! I would love for them to make a F-12 12 inch firearm like the Komrade.

·
Over and Out
4,929 Posts
Hmm.. Not an "AR-style", but.. 'Happy middle-ground'?

:cool:

Seems to 'tick the higher-cap / semi-auto boxes', but withOut the 'risk' (misfeeds, etc) and additional carry-load to fuss-with of the AR-mag style semis.. Kinda 'wonky lookin', but ehh, who cares, if it's 'got what it takes', under the hood.. 👍

Personally, don't really care much for the 'bullpup' design, though I Do understand the 'rationale', but.. Meh, to each his own, and this one Is certainly Interesting. +1 for pretty-much IWI-anything, tho.. :cool:

Gotta just Escape this friggin Zommie-pit.. :rolleyes:

jd

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Sooooo, it's okay, maybe even preferable to use box magazines for rifles and pistols, but not shotgun?

LOL... what am I missing?

I don't think for one second tube fed shotguns are going away because shotguns with box magazines are becoming available.

If I questioned anything it would be what took them so long? and when will we start to see double stack shotgun magazines. Now, that would be something... LOL

·
Semper Fi
10,662 Posts
Sooooo, it's okay, maybe even preferable to use box magazines for rifles and pistols, but not shotgun?

LOL... what am I missing?
The pro/con benefit analysis.

A box mag brings a lot to the table for a rifle/pistol but not so much to the shotgun.

A 30rd mag in an AR for example holds a LOT of rounds in a relatively compact package. There is simply no way to have that much ammo capacity in a rifle any other way.

While a box mag for the shotgun can (in some cases) simply hold exactly the same number of rounds as the original tube mag (5+1) but does so in a much more bulky way. And upping the mag capacity to 8, 10, 25 only adds to that bulk. Destroying a sleek and easy to handle weapon's ergonomics.

My Win 1300 Defender (18.5") packs 7+1 2.75" shells into a tube mag shotgun. A tube that is easily kept topped up during shooting which is something that simply can NOT be done with a mag fed shotgun.

I don't think for one second tube fed shotguns are going away because shotguns with box magazines are becoming available.

If I questioned anything it would be what took them so long? and when will we start to see double stack shotgun magazines. Now, that would be something... LOL
The current box fed fad is simply catering to the shooters who grew up thinking the AR was pretty much the only rifle out there and those who want the latest fad whether or not it makes sense.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I’ve had a Saiga for years and love it. I have several 5 and 10 round magazines. I also have a 12 round and 20 round drum. Honestly I’ve only used the 20 round drum once because of it’s size/weight and unwieldyness. Other than that I am completely comfortable with it. A 12 round drum in the shotgun, and two 10 round mags on my person gives me quick and easy access to 33 rounds. Easy enough to make that 3 10 round mags on my person for quick access to 43 rounds.

Shoot 13, drop the drum, quickly insert magazine number 1 and I immediately have 10 more rounds. Shoot them, drop the mag and insert mag #2 and I quickly have 10 more. And so on.

I can’t imagine any situation where that would be necessary but still nice to have.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts