Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I ve had multiple scopes on my Ar15 didnt like none of them, I would stick to iron sights on Ar, plus you get quicker movement,
I would agree... consider your distance and needed reaction times. For quick shots within 25 yards consider a barrel mounted laser with a pressure pad. For 25 -100 yards shots the iron sights work great. I use a leapers 4x20 scope for 100-500 yards.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would agree... consider your distance and needed reaction times. For quick shots within 25 yards consider a barrel mounted laser with a pressure pad. For 25 -100 yards shots the iron sights work great. I use a leapers 4x20 scope for 100-500 yards.
This isn't a "bad" plan as long as you're not working with anyone else.
If you're fighting at any distance beyond 25 yards, or you're working in a team where other lasers are being employed, you're going to suffer from poor visibility and "wash" (caused by lots of lasers).

If money is no Issue, the ACOG is hands down the finest optics you can get for your carbine. Well deserved battle pedigree.

For "survival" - the Aimpoint gets a slight nod over the 'faster' EOTech due to battery life.
As Nomad mentioned, the M3's and 2MOA dots are much easier to hit with out past 200 yards.
At 400, a 4 MOA optic will nearly cover your objective area on the target.

Cheers,
:thumb:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I personally have an Aimpoint CompM4 on my AR (I'm getting a 3.75x magnifier for it on a flip out mount). I would also recommend the EOTech 556.A65/1 with the 3x magnifier an a LaRue tactical arms mount so you can rapidly flip the magnifier out of the way. I always have backup iron sights (BUIS) on my AR and would never rely completely on a powered sight to the point of removing my BUIS no matter what it's battery life is. On my irons sights, I have replaced my front post with an XS sights tritium bar sight post. The Trijicon ACOG sights are amazing sights and I would highly recommend them if you have the money for them. As a side note, I'm in the process of building a DPMS .308 AR with a match barrel on which I'm mounting a NightForce NXS scope.

--Wintermute

·
Registered
350 Posts
One additional note I wanted to add in. In extremely humid conditions (out in the jungle, swamps, nw forest in summer, etc...) most optics tend to fog up. With EOTechs, Aimpoints, ACOGS, and others I have all seen this happen, and it pretty much makes the really expensive optic you have useless and a pain in the ass. Just another reason to always have BUIS on your rifle no matter what and know how to use them.

--Wintermute

·
Registered
289 Posts
anyone heard or used MAKO optics see 5 power magnifer listed for under $150--problemly junk but never know if serviceable 1/3 price--I know you get what you pay for--maybe use as stop gap while saving for top line unit/can always use for second rifle after

·
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
256 Posts
I use an Elcan because it is extremely tough, adjusts at the base, is waterproof, and has a wide angle of view. It's very quick in action because of the post reticle with tritium tip. It also has a bulet drop compensator built in for .556 NATO.

Detonics Service Master & Colt AR-15

·
Registered
49 Posts
aimpoints are good for CQB settings, but it wouldn't be the best thing in the world for shooting small game and the like, since they're like firing iron sights (no magnification). don't get me wrong, a LOT of people would/will/are doing just fine with iron sights, but to hit something small or reaching out to max effective range, you'd probably need something that has a bit of magnification to it, like a ACOG or the like. if you could afford something like that, its pretty ideal; the ones we had in the army were 4X, so it was a good compromise zoom, plus the lighted reticle was fed via fiber optics, not a battery. the less to go wrong, the better, right?

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Mine is outfitted a bit differently than the usual ACOG or EOTech AR.

I went with the millett DMS-1 scope on a LaRue extended quick detach mount.
The scope is a 1-4X32 and uses a nice dot-inside-a-doughnut reticle that illuminates red.

I have flip up irons if I need them and I can quickly and easily remove the scope. Both the scope and mount combined were still cheaper than an ACOG and some EOtechs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts