Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an AR15 and was wondering about what kind or brand of mags are good and dependable. Got only one with the rifle. It has the green follower but no brand on it and had to do a little file and polish job on it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There are many options out there for USGI magazines. Many companies make these and a simple search of google for "30rd USGI magazines" will get you going.

If you want to be one of the "cool kids". I would get MagPul PMAGs. They are much better than USGI mags in my opinion. They come in many colors and will withstand abuse that will split a USGI magazine. They cost a little more, but plastic doesnt rust.

I have never has a problem with a PMAG. A few with USGI mags, but pliers usually fixed the feedlip problems.

Something else I recommend before buying a bunch of any magazine is to buy one and make sure it fits and feeds your gun properly.

5.7mm

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Call the folks at GDS Enterprises in Austin, TX.
(512) 707-8353 GDS

They are honest, good folks to deal with. He makes his living selling AR parts and generally has the best overall prices.

Tell them what kind of mags you want and they'll price them to you.

M-F 9 to 3 Central is the best time to call.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
From my "firearms tip & suggestions thread:
  • USGI
  • D&H
  • C Products
  • PMI
  • Colt
  • H&K
Avoid USA brand, Mec-Gar, or any bargain magazines of unknown origin. A reliable magazine is 50% part of keeping your AR malfunction-free!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help. We got a gun show here on 23 and 24 Feb. maybee I can find some when I make an ammo run. If not I have some good recomendations now.
Picked this gun up as a police trade but the deputy that had it really spent some time fine tuning it. It really shoots sweet with a perfect trigger. But just got one crappy mag with it. He must have kept the good ones for extras.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've got all different kinds. I really don't know what I all have anymore. They all work well for me exept for the 40 rounders.

·
Hoodlum
175 Posts
Brownell's has a good deal on mags, I know several ISPC shooters that use them.

You can make GI mags better by installing Magpul followers in them.

·
Really Low Post Count
76 Posts
The DSG mag comes with a Magpul non-binding follower and they are going for less than 10 bucks.

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=939

I haven't ever heard of Mec Gar making an AR magazine but they have made OEM mags for: AMT Armscor Astra Beretta Bernadelli FN Browning BUL Charles Daly Colt CZ IMI Kel-Tec Kimber Llama North American Arms Remington
Sigarms Smith & Wesson Springfield Armory STI Standard Arms Star
Steyr Tanfoglio Taurus Walther

·
Registered
826 Posts
magpul pmags the only way to go!
+1. Likewise, I am a big fan of MagPul PMAGs, either the deluxe windowed ones or the standard ones, both for regular use and for SHTF spares storage. With their polymer construction and array of features, they are clearly the future of AR magazines, and they are only a few bucks more per unit than good, basic USGI mags. They are consistent in quality of their manufacture, too.

I also like to buy high-quality mil-spec USGI 30-round aluminum magazine bodies directly from C Products, and then assemble them myself with a refurb kit that includes 2nd-generation MagPul no-tilt followers and chrome steel springs. You can add your choice of enhanced floorplate or tac-load retention device if you choose. Doing it yourself is simple, and it lets you build nicely individualized custom magazines at about the same price as basic, unenhanced pre-assembled standard mags.

·
Registered
901 Posts
From my "firearms tip & suggestions thread:
  • USGI
  • D&H
  • C Products
  • PMI
  • Colt
  • H&K
Avoid USA brand, Mec-Gar, or any bargain magazines of unknown origin. A reliable magazine is 50% part of keeping your AR malfunction-free!
Interesting video I found on youtube. Its a durability test of several of the mags you listed getting run over by a truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts