Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here, and please forgive me if I'm posting old news or in the wrong thread. Feel free to slap me on the hand for any annoyance. Ok, enough butt kissing :)
Last week I was asked what I'd like to have for my birthday present (though my BDay is a fair bit off still):
*An AR15
*An AR10
or
*A Saiga .308 (don't know much about it, but it looked pretty cool. Though I don't want a gun purely on looks).

I don't know much about Assault rifles myself, but I have heard that AR's are notorious for overheating, jamming in combat conditions and underpowered.
Would someone help me to make a choice please?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

·
Registered
631 Posts
While I do like the AR-10 very much I would have to go with the AR-15 for several reasons. Affordable magazines, parts supply, avalibility of ammo, modular for more calibers and configurations to meet individual needs.

{AR's are notorious for overheating, jamming in combat conditions and underpowered.}

This sounds like a salesman talking and looking for a sucker.

If you have plenty of money and can buy a good supply of AR10 mags, parts and are willing to pay big money for .308 ammo have at it and be happy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm lucky coz my grandad was in NZSAS during Vietnam, and he gave me three AR10 10 round mags as a present (I thought they were metal war wallets or something when I was a kid, hehe) so I'm not to worried about mags. Parts though...what parts would you suggest getting, assuming I choose the AR10?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would keep a complete set of springs and a lower parts set plus an extractor (maybe a couple of extractors) What is an AR10 going for in NZ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An Armallite .308 AR10 ranges from $2000 to $5000 NZD. An AR15 from $4000 - $7000 NZD. Assault rifles are expensive in NZ for some reason, maybe coz of the Aramoana incident or maybe coz we are just a hunting culture, we have a rifles-and-shotguns atmosphere about us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would have to agree with Rooster on his post and the salesman selling a load of crap theory. The AR platform has been a solid preformer for as long as it has been around. The original M16 weapon system was loved by the special forces troops who first used it in Nam. The original barrel had a 1x14 twist that made the 5.56/.223 round unstable which caused it to tumble and inflict horrible wounds when it struck. Some soldiers even reported limbs being blown off. However, the twist rate wasn't a great preformer in arctic temps so the Air Force requested a different twist rate (which I don't remember off the top of my head) which made the bullet more stable therefore reducing the lethality. For logistical issues the barrels for all the services were changed to the
Air Force specs. As for the combat failures, most of them were due to lack of proper cleaning which wasn't really the grunt's fault but a lack of training. I'm sure there are those that will disagree with me but I think if you were to talk to the troops around the world that use it, you wouldn't hear as many complaints as you might think. Besides, look at the fact that it's light weight, easy to manuever, easy to maintain, highly (and easily) customizable, parts are common, as is the ammunition and it's a proven solid performer in the short to medium ranges. Hope I helped at least a little.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the AR15 for now, I finally got my hands on an AR10 a couple of days ago, and I have to say that I'll definitely wait til' I'm more skilled with assault rifles before I get myself anything chambered in .308, or 7.62mm as it's more commonly called. Thanks again guys, appreciated the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with an AR15 for my first "Evil Black Rifle" and I have not been disappointed.
I have been looking at AR10's lately and would love to have have one. Maybe a Christmas present for myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My AR-15 is a DPMS AP4 Panther Carbine and it has been a reliable performer with no jams and going strong well over 2000 rounds.

TRS

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I am a fan of 7.62x39, but have shot some .223 rounds. .223 is a decent caliber, good for self defense, accurate, and low recoil. The low recoil gives the AR an advantage over other calibers. It allows for faster aim recovery times.

Most folks say a good AR is good for 400 yards. I wouldn't be shy about hunting 150 lb deer with it either, or whatever you have other there.

I choose 7.62x39 because I really like one of the rifles that shoots it. I am planning on picking up a rock river ar-15 next year. Giving the poor wallet a break. A friend has one and several thousand rounds through it. He takes good care of it and has not a single problem or jamb with the rifle. AR's have great iron sights too.

I would look for a bolt action companion for the AR if you plan on keep a decent pile of ammo around, your laws and future of firearms seems sketchy over there, like it does in the US.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think the AR10 has more overheating issues attributed to it than the AR15.

When you have some experience with the AR15 under your belt, I'd look for a FAL, M1A or G3 clone as a MBR and forget about the AR10.

The general consensus is that the two best are the FAL and M1A are the best MBRs available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts