Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
That’s not weaver, that’s picatinny that comes standard on top. Where in the world would mount sights if you had an optic on there?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to avoid a scope or red dot. I guess I'm one of those dinosaurs that prefers irons to optics.

It may be a stupid idea to use the rail for a front and rear AR flip up sight.

·
Deplorable
1,973 Posts
Yes it will fit.
Also
Yes it is stupid.

You would have a rifle with a pistol length sight radius. Accuracy will suffer but you do you.

·
Deplorable
1,973 Posts
You figure if your optic takes a crap it'd be more accurate without BUIS? :confused:
1. OP has stated he does not want optics.
2. There is almost no space to fit BUIS AND an optic on those mounts.
3. This is not the apocalypse you can buy a new optic if yours breaks
4. I have never NEVER had an optic crap out on me. Buy quality gear not tasco and truglo.

·
Grumpy
90 Posts
Will AR flip up sights work on the weaver rail of a Ruger American Ranch rifle?
https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

I wish these things came with Iron Sights.
I appreciate you asking the question I know you asked a similar question on another Forum we both participate in and got minimal responses. I am looking at getting a RAR in 7.62x39 and want ghost ring sights. A company called New England Custom Gun Service may offer such sights. I have not gotten around to contacting them yet. Hopefully, you’ll get some more responses. Thanks

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate you asking the question I know you asked a similar question on another Forum we both participate in and got minimal responses. I am looking at getting a RAR in 7.62x39 and want ghost ring sights. A company called New England Custom Gun Service may offer such sights. I have not gotten around to contacting them yet. Hopefully, you’ll get some more responses. Thanks
Please let me know if you find anything. :)

I may just end up getting the new Ruger Ar556 .300blk model #8530. At least I can put proper sights on it. My LGS is getting a shipment in next week. $647 OTD.

·
Proud American Patriot
2,401 Posts
I got a flat top Ruger AR with flip up iron sights. I put a Vortex Strike Eagle 1 - 6 power scope on it. I wanted to leave the iron sights on as a backup, but could not find a way to do it. So I just left the rear iron sight off.

One big advantage I see in iron sights is that they are less likely to break. But because of the way the rear flip-up sight sticks up on the flat top it looks more susceptible to damage than the scope. And if you carry the rifle with the rear sight down it's just one more thing that will slow you down a little if you want to aim and fire a shot quickly.

I put a scope on another AR and put backup iron sights on it in the form of heavy duty sights that go on at a 45 degree angle; this makes it easy to transition from one to the other; all you have to do is cant your rife to use the irons. But that made the rifle effectively thicker and cumbersome so I sold it (there was something else I didn't like about the rifle too).

People who know the subject better than I do seem to be fine with a scope only and no backup sights. And I can see why. So I'm going to stay with one or the other, unless I find a good way to have both. Either way though, I don't like the flip-up sights I've seen, because of their prominence.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the iron sights because it doesn't add weight to the rifle, and I have a quicker target acquisition, while still having the ability to be aware of anything going on nearby. I mostly shoot 50 to 75 yards in thick bush so the scope is cumbersome.

And I just like the looks of a clean rifle.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ruger Gunsite Scoute
Ruger Guide Gun
Savage 110 Scout
Savage Hog Gunter
CZ 527 Scout
CZ 550FS

All new production guns that come with Iron Sights. Two or three of those come with detachable mags, too.

If you peruse used gun listings you can find 80's/90's Ruger M77 Hawkeyes and Remington 700's that have iron sights. The M77 is based on the Mauser action if I'm remembering correctly, and can stand up to the abuse of being used like a scout rifle.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Will AR flip up sights work on the weaver rail of a Ruger American Ranch rifle?
https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

I wish these things came with Iron Sights.
Would they work? Yes

The real question is "how well woudl they work?".

You woudl really want to have a front sight installed towards the font end of the barrel, which just about any good gunsmith should be able to do for you, then add your BUIS rear site. Of course, you woudl need to make sure that the height of both front and rear sights match up.

·
Plays best, alone
4,936 Posts
Skinner Sights make a rear sight for the RAR and other bolt actions. You have to follow instructions near the bottom of the page for finding the ideal front sight height and how to get one installed.

http://www.skinnersights.com/

I think you could use something like the Magpul MBUIS but with such a short sight plain, dont know how far they would be accurate. For most use I think you would be better off with an optic of choice and a backup that has been sighted in as well carried in you bag or stored for use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts