Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an "upper" here, buddy picked it up at a gun show and gave it to his son.

They shot it a bit, and then it came apart. Cracked the upper, blew the bottom off the bolt, mangled the charging handle, barrel looks ok, but as far as I am concerned its toast.

Buddy has my wrench and vice bloc, probably take it apart next week after I get my tools back.

Its .223 Wilde, and he is going to text me what factory ammo they were using.

I know a guy who (somehow) fired a .300blk in a 556, it looks like that.

Of course, another Marine in my unit had a similar "kaboom" with a issued M4 shooting issued ammo.

My bet is a squib, gotta take it apart before I can run a rod down the barrel (probably end up cutting it to find out.

Shooter dropped the gun due to the "loud noise" mag is toast, he is ok.
Lower bolt release is broken, but might be ok otherwise.

Bet he wasn't wearing eye pro.
Lucky.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I poorly reloaded some 223 when I was young and the primer wasnt seated all the way resulting in a early firing of the round resulting in all the things you talked about. Not good stuff.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
Scary stuff. Good reason to clearly mark loaded mags, and keep Ammo separated.

Like the M1's/M14's, slam fires aren't all that uncommon with AR type rifles either. I've had them a few times with a couple of mine, especially when a suppressor is mounted.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would just throw the works away and get a new upper. I wouldn't bother inspecting and unless it is a shilen barrel or similar, get rid of that as well.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
Sometimes **** just happens.

Then again, everyone and their brother has been putting AR's together now for awhile, who knows what you have, if you dont have something thats a known quanity.

·
Registered
301 Posts
[QUOTE

I know a guy who (somehow) fired a .300blk in a 556, it looks like that.

Lucky.[/QUOTE]

#METOO

My brand new .556 upper. I had just fired the first 10 test rounds through it and it worked great. I remember telling my son "whatever you do, don't put one of these in it" as I held up a 300 BLK round and handed the gun to him. Turns out, that is the very first thing he did as round number 21 blew the gun up.
The bolt carrier split, the magazine split (Pmag) vertically and hit him in the chin with a piece or two of the baseplate and follower. Stuck the bcg in the receiver. I was able to cut several pieces from the upper receiver and free the firing pin retainer, then the cam pin, then, the bolt from the carrier. Could not salvage the charging handle. I got the bolt to cam away from the lugs and removed the extractor pin, freeing the extractor. Stuck a rod down the bore and a few taps later, the bolt came out revealing a blown out jacked up case that you could still read the characters "300 BLK".
I saw a splash on the berm. I have no idea how some of the projectile cleared the bore but that is the only miracle that saved us from a really bad day.
The lower survived. The upper had witness marks from the bolt release on one side and the ejection port cover and rod were bent on the other. It had flexed a lot.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
Its not just the 300/5.56. My buddys goofy kid put a 30-30 round into his dads 35 Remington lever gun and proceeded to somehow get the lever closed enough to allow the hammer to drop. (they were shooting both guns on the same bench, at the same time, with both rounds present)

As soon as the gun fired, everyone looked at him like "WTF was that?", as it sounded funny and not right. The round kind of when "zing" downrange. When he jacked the action open, and a 30-30 case, in the shape of a 35 Remington (more or less) popped out.

People seem pretty competent at doing really stupid ****, and on a regular enough basis, thats its not at all uncommon. Really makes you wonder sometimes though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That’s the reason I have some FDE mags, just for 300Blk. I also try to put all of the 300 ammo away when shooting 223/556. I don’t want this to happen.
Glad everyone is OK though.

·
Registered
34,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
.300 blk
(Although there are no markings on the brass anymore)

Had to beat the (broken) bolt carrier out of The cracked upper.
FIirst time I have seen:
Round not stuck in barrel (will not reuse barrel) despite it looking ok.
Salvaged hand guards, hand guard retaining ring, forward assist and ejection port cover and spring (rod was bent) from upper.

Check your mags. Apparently my buddy got this mag loaded when he bought a rifle.... And it cost him.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
I wish I had a nickel for everyone that's told me a 300 B/O kaboom in a 5.56 wasn't possible. :rolleyes:
I'd be broke. Who the heck is saying that stupid crap? EVERYONE knows that's a thing.

I managed to kaboom a 5.56 reload, went from mild overpressure signs to BOOM on the next round. Blew the mag, broke an extractor, chunks of brass all over around the bolt carrier, locked the gun up bad, I had to take the barrel off the upper to get it apart.
The barrel and upper are fine, dimensionally, the carrier was good as well, bolt has been rebuilt, it's all spare parts now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts