Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a decently priced AR-7 for quite some time and havent been able to find one under $200 i was wondering if yall could say how much you got yours for

·
Happy to be here!
4,911 Posts
I purchased mine from a friend for $125. It's a piece of crap and I wish I never got it. Any .22 pistol worth it's salt will outshoot it, packs smaller, deploys faster, is sturdier and more reliable. Don't do it....

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
200 is about the going rate, used. They are good/bad reviews. Keep it clean. Keep the mags from getting damaged- the feed ramp is on the mag lip. Try out different ammo selections- some dont like hollow point. Others like high velocity, like Stingers.

For 200... Get a used Ruger 10/22 and get a Butler Creek folding stock for an extra 100 later. Wont regret it!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
The one I had was really unreliable and constantly jammed. I have never heard much good about them. Don't know why they are so expensive.

·
CaptAmerica
89 Posts
****s Sporting Goods is where I got one. Yes it was over $200, but the dollar has lost so much value in the past few years that the real cost is probably $100. Get it while you can. Henry has fixed most of the early problems, you can tell beause they now have a lifetime warranty instead of 1 year.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I bought mine brand new so it was a little more $ but you want to make sure you get the current model. Henry has fixed all the issues and the current selling model is accurate and reliable, the old models (mostly pre-henry) are not very reliable or accurate. You can find fixes for the older models such as chamfering the feed ramp and then look at the current selling Henry and see that they did it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A 'survival' rifle that is ammo-picky? THIS is why I like single shooters! Then there was my Norinco ATM-20 that I never did find a type of .22lr it wouldn't cheerfully gulp down, lo-vo's included.

I like the idea of a pack down rifle but it would have to be the right one. The ATM was close but had sucky sights and indifferent accuracy. I'd love an M6 but have no use for .410, 12 or 20ga is much easier to find and the same price. They are rudely expensive here to boot. Had a Savage VA24 in .222/20ga that should have been good but had issues that caused me to sell it. The search continues...

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
I purchased mine from a friend for $125. It's a piece of crap and I wish I never got it. Any .22 pistol worth it's salt will outshoot it, packs smaller, deploys faster, is sturdier and more reliable. Don't do it....
I bought one years ago and as Will said they're a piece of junk.

The first day I took it to the range the charging handle broke off and I had to send it in for repair. When it came back I had feeding problems that resulted in lots of jams.

After spending far too much time getting it to run right, I couldn't get a decent grouping out of it that I couldn't beat with my old Harrison revolver.

Do yourself a favor and avoid it.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
****s Sporting Goods is where I got one. Yes it was over $200, but the dollar has lost so much value in the past few years that the real cost is probably $100. Get it while you can. Henry has fixed most of the early problems, you can tell beause they now have a lifetime warranty instead of 1 year.
Haha...it censored D.icks Sporting Goods! Now that's funny right ther.

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
I have had 4 AR7s and now have a Henry US Survivor and never had an issue with any of them. The most that I have ever paid was $100 and that was for the Henry, used, of course.

AR7 and M6

Al

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
they are a joke, but I have one because my favorite motorcycle

has a factory optional rifle rack

and the rifle should be as versatile as the motorcycle. The CT 90 and CT 110 are good beginner motorcycles, so they get beginner guns. An AR-7 and a Ruger 10-22 TakeDown

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

Snap! I loved that bike! Thats my slayer Voere 5 shot bolter, handed down to me from my dad and easily my fave .22 so far. Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3-9X40 scope suits it well.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
A 'survival' rifle that is ammo-picky? THIS is why I like single shooters! Then there was my Norinco ATM-20 that I never did find a type of .22lr it wouldn't cheerfully gulp down, lo-vo's included.

I like the idea of a pack down rifle but it would have to be the right one. The ATM was close but had sucky sights and indifferent accuracy. I'd love an M6 but have no use for .410, 12 or 20ga is much easier to find and the same price. They are rudely expensive here to boot. Had a Savage VA24 in .222/20ga that should have been good but had issues that caused me to sell it. The search continues...
The AR7 is a single shot, it just holds its spare rounds in a magazine.

They can be bery handy, you just have to change your way of thinking when using them.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts

They can be bery handy, you just have to change your way of thinking when using them.

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts

This is what I think too.

If someone buys an AR-7 as their primary hunting rifle, I would call it a fail. Wrong gun for the job.

If you want a gun that's light and packs away easily but, can be called upon once in a while then it is more than capable.

Al

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought my AR7 as a self birthday gift last year, and it was originally wanted more as a novelty than a need. After a few trips to the range, I found my accuracy fairly decent offhand at 30 yards or so. Definitely accurate enough for a squirrel or rabbit! Also, I ran several types of ammo through it, and it performed reliably. It now resides stashed away in my truck with my winter preps...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts

Again, thats just the old ones, the current Henry are not picky. Mine shoots Remington Thunderturds just fine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts