Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a AR-15 lower at hand and it has a m4 stock on it...
i was wanting to know if i can buy a 7.5 inch upper and short buffer tube to make a AR-15 pistal..... here is the link

http://www.ftfindustries.com/223uppers.htm

i dont know the laws on them so can you tell me if it would be a SBR or what??? :thumb:

·
Registered
566 Posts
You cant do it legally.

You Lower needs to be a virgin lower that can be marked Pistol. Or an actual lower marked pistol. No Buttstock on pistols. That makes them a short barreled Rifle.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:mad:thats not good well i must buy the 16 inch one or is there any way to do this the right way

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
You are playing with fire. I would buy a registered AR pistol if you want one. Do not buy a receiver and put a barrel shorter than 16" on it. That 7.5" could get you 20 years.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are playing with fire. I would buy a registered AR pistol if you want one. Do not buy a receiver and put a barrel shorter than 16" on it. That 7.5" could get you 20 years.
If I buy a AR-15 pistal can i put a 24 inch upper on the pistal lower???:confused:

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
More of these mentally deficient gun laws. They have to stop the bring a kid to work day in the big office because the kids are not doing a very good job with this.

Sounds safer to get one off the shelf and let the dealer hang if its not made right.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It has to be marked pistol for the lower to do that. I looked a at a pistol and asked the guy if I could put a stock on it and he said yeah if I dont mind going to jail for a long time and having my cell mate love me.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
I looked a at a pistol and asked the guy if I could put a stock on it and he said yeah if I dont mind going to jail for a long time and having my cell mate love me.
You can do it legally if you SBR it on a Form 1. no different than SBR'ing a lower and putting a short upper on it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You can do it legally if you SBR it on a Form 1. no different than SBR'ing a lower and putting a short upper on it.

I didnt know that. Thats good info and maybe a cheaper way of getting a SBR. I dont think I can build another AR for as cheap as I had before and I think I see used pistols around the area pretty good deals. The form I think for it is like 295 so to me its not worth it right now but would love to have one.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
It has to be marked pistol for the lower to do that. I looked a at a pistol and asked the guy if I could put a stock on it and he said yeah if I dont mind going to jail for a long time and having my cell mate love me.
No it does not have to be marked PISTOL , it just has to be a VIRGIN lower and logged out as a lower . Make it a pistol and keep it a pistol , or make it a rifle and keep it a rifle . DONT have a short barrel laying around your house with out having a pistol built ( you can switch barrels 7.5 to 10" if you want ) ........

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I didnt know that. Thats good info and maybe a cheaper way of getting a SBR. I dont think I can build another AR for as cheap as I had before and I think I see used pistols around the area pretty good deals. The form I think for it is like 295 so to me its not worth it right now but would love to have one.
The form is free , call the local ATF they send you 2 plus the finger print cards .

Fill out the form .
Get 2 passport pics taken.
Get popo to take your prints .
Get Chief LEO , DA to sign off . ( its not PERMISSION )
Send in $200 check .

Wait 1-3 months .
Get form back from ATF .
Build SBR .

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
A few manufacturers of lowers now have them marked multi-caliber so as to keep the confusion down and law off your back.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
The form is free , call the local ATF they send you 2 plus the finger print cards .

Fill out the form .
Get 2 passport pics taken.
Get popo to take your prints .
Get Chief LEO , DA to sign off . ( its not PERMISSION )
Send in $200 check .

Wait 1-3 months .
Get form back from ATF .
Build SBR .

Or form a trust and skip the photographs, LEO signoff and fingerprints. Good info here.
You can also print off the forms from Title II, click here.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
Trusts work. And they're so easy to set up that most people think "It can't possibly be this easy!"
Buy yourself a copy of Quicken Willmaker (I bought mine at Costco for $25 on sale) and you can set up a trust in 20 minutes or less. Load the software, answer the questions, print it out, sign in front of Notary and have it notarized, DONE. Most states don't even require you to register the trust (Willmaker tells you which one's do). If there's a problem with your trust when you send it in to the ATF, they'll let you know what to fix and continue on with the approval once you do.
Trusts work the same way as an LLC or Corp, without any of the ongoing tax implications of either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts