Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Smith & Wesson M&P15. It is my first AR and I was hoping someone could advise me in picking out a sling. What I'm looking for is a sling that allows me to have the butt towards my right arm and the muzzle towrds my left. The rifle is right out of the box so I haven't made any modifications yet. That is my first plea for help.

My second plea would be if anyone has ever heard of a dovetail sight for an ar-15. Right now it has the A2 peep sight and I don't really know exactly how to aim with it. All I have ever used is dovetail sights.

Thanks guys (and gals) for any help someone can sling my way.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Stick with the A2 rear sight. It is more accurate than the partridge or dove tail rear sight. When you look through the rear peep your eye naturally seeks the center. Then just align the front sight on the target as you normally would. There are two diameter holes in the rear sight. The smaller of the two is for target work the larger is a battle sight for faster target acquisition.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd reccomend a 3 point sling for you. Many many varieties to choose from.

As far as teh ghost ring, stick tip of front sight on target, center front sight in ring. Practice with it, and you'll have no problems running it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I looked and could find no such creature. Just spend some time with the rifle and I think you will get the hang of it.

Reactions: gfranklin81

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
You weapon came with a manual , ...................................READ IT .

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
There are many different types of slings out there....MMMAAAANNNNYYYY..... One points, two points, three points, etc...I prefer a vickers sling. For now, just get yourself a $6 g.i. sling. The manuals that come with guns these days only tells you about safe handling, cleaning, etc...Here is the military manual and everything you need to know...

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/tm_9-1005-319-10.pdf

Please read the entire manual and save a copy of it on your hard drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get a tactical sling, not a parade sling. Personally I prefer the 3 point sling which you can pickup in O.D. Green for around $18.00 at many gun shops. The tactical sling will have quick release tabs that can mount in a variety of places and allows the rifle to hang at a 45 degree angle, plus allows you to quickly raise it to fire. Most gunshops will carry a tactical sling for this purpose.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The shop you got it from should have a selection of slings. I personally went with a one-point sling after trying out a two and three point sling setup. Also, a lot of the guys in the sandbox liked the one point, as it kept the rifle handy without getting in the way. It's really personal preference, so see if they can help you with that. Most good gun shops should do that.

As for the sights, the rear peep sight with a front post is not my fave way to go, but it works. I replaced the front post on mine with a circle and cross hair set up, which works great for me. Just my $0.02.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts