Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am looking at AR-15s and ran across some threads saying people have made thier own out of sectional kits.

My questions are as follows:

1). Is this a less exspensive way to go?
2). Can homemade AR-15s be of the same quality as manufactured?

If yes answers the above:

1). What is a good site to get kits from?

I am very familliar with the breaking down of the weapon so it seems to me that this is a good possibility but I question the quality of it all.

Thank you all for your time.

·
154 Posts
The advantage of building it youself is once you are finished, you have a rifle and an empty box. Plus, you will have the knowledge of how to completely disassemble and repair the weapon. If you buy one off the rack, you will be tempted to modify it to your liking, and then have a box of parts you won't have any use for. That's where I find my savings. Plan the build before you begin and you won't spend money on parts you don't want or need.

I prefer buying upper assemblies and lower parts kits from Bravo Company. I buy lowers from a local FFL. Shop around for stocks, grips, sights, and other add ons.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
1. Depends on what parts you use and what the purchase price is of the manufacture's build you compare it to.

2. Homemade? Assemble :) - Depends on what parts you use and what manufacture you compare to.

Sounds like you're looking to get an AR 'on the cheap'. $600< $x.xx >$799

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I want to get it as low as possible in price but I still want a quality weapon. I like the fact that I would be able to customize it as I want it though.

Are there any good sights for AR-15's out there for purchasing? Kinda want to look at all options and styles people have put together and the like.

I do like the fact that I would know the weapon inside and out. It would be good training for my wife as well.

Thanks for the help so far all!:thumb:

·
154 Posts
Well I want to get it as low as possible in price but I still want a quality weapon. I like the fact that I would be able to customize it as I want it though.

Are there any good sights for AR-15's out there for purchasing? Kinda want to look at all options and styles people have put together and the like.

I do like the fact that I would know the weapon inside and out. It would be good training for my wife as well.

Thanks for the help so far all!:thumb:
If you're looking for what's available from different manufacturers, just google ar15 manufacturer and you'll get thousands of results. Major manufacturers are Colt, Smith and Wesson, Daniel Defense, Rock River, DPMS, Delton, Bushmaster...the list goes on.

Here are some links to other forums with custom builds:

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
The advantage of assembling your own is that you can select the best quality components from across the board and assemble a world class battle rifle.

You control the quality, and get what you pay for.

Reactions: joshiedoom

·
Registered
805 Posts
In my opinion, it can be more or less expensive, the major thing is you will have the rifle you want and not a giant box of spare parts as posted above.

Start off with a quality bare lower receiver and do some research on the forums.

An example is my next build will probably be a spikes tactical lower, with a Daniel Defense lower parts kit to start off.

One small component could fail causing the rifle to be worthless, a few dollars or cents could prevent this.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
All depends on exactly what you want to do with it.

A decent factory AR for $600-$700 is the S&W M&P Sport. Bare bones, flat top reciever, collapsible stock and a good barrel.

Colt 6520, 6920 and 6940 are excellent quality, factory built AR's that are very common among LEO's and maintain their value better than anything factory made.

·
Scout
1,464 Posts
Yes by all means built it yourself. That way you will understand what makes it tick. A word of caution....Be sure you get a quality lower to start with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have definatly decided to build it on my own. The benifits can not be passed up. I will be able to spread the cost out as well while still getting exactly what I want, which is really nice.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
What tools in specific should I look for?
If you are planning to just assemble a kit with a preassembled upper receiver you should have at a minimum:

1. A roll pin punch set
2. A pair of vice grips
3. Adjustable wrench to install a standard receiver extension or a CAR stock wrench if you plan to install a collapsible stock. Or a combination wrench made for working on ARs
4. A screwdriver for the buttplate screws

I recommend that you get a set of headspace guages and learn how to use them.

Google assembling an AR15 and you will be able to see what you need and pick up some tricks/tips to help you.

Good luck
Al

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
What tools in specific should I look for?
reciever block to hold it in your vice.
Torque wrench.
AR wrench (does the flash hider and the barrel)
Gas Block jig.
Drill with bits.
Punches.
Vice Grips.

Those are the ones I used. Some aren't named properly, but it's late and I'm tired.

Oh ya, the drill and gas block jig were for a low pro gas block with the set screws in the bottom. I had to dimple it, loctite it and stake it. You may not have to do all of that depending on what barrel you buy.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
For God's sake, please torque the barrel correctly. And if you dont know what this means, just buy an assembled upper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seeing this is your first I would suggest that you just purchase the upper receiver. Bravo company has a good deal right now on mid length or carbine length systems.

I like the A2 front sight posts for first rifles.

Quality lower parts are also a must. Palmeto state armory has good kits with milspec buffer tubes.

Good bolt and carrier, I would go bcm full auto (for the extra weight and smoother cycling) as well as heavy buffer or get a 9mm buffer.

I am helping building rifles for friends right now. One purchased the osprey piston system. For your first rifle you may not want a piston, but if you are making a shtf rifle, they may be worth the money to you.

If you do not purchase a bolt it would only add about two hundred to the cost of the rifle.

As far as rear sights go, troy are very nice. I would wait on the optic and get a good sling, like a Vikings tactical two point, a bunch of magpul mags, good ammo, and a light.

It may take you a bit longer to build, but if you do it right, you will only do it once. :thumb:

Hello all!

I am looking at AR-15s and ran across some threads saying people have made thier own out of sectional kits.

My questions are as follows:

1). Is this a less exspensive way to go?
2). Can homemade AR-15s be of the same quality as manufactured?

If yes answers the above:

1). What is a good site to get kits from?

I am very familliar with the breaking down of the weapon so it seems to me that this is a good possibility but I question the quality of it all.

Thank you all for your time.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you don't know what you are doing and don't have someone who knows they can be very difficult. I won't say don't do it, but would you build a car by yourself and feel safe? If you are capable then by all means its cheaper but there are so many things you can screw up on for a survival item, my first would be purchased. Which still doesn't make it flawless, just better chances. If you have a gunsmith whos willing and knows how to help you it might be worth your time to learn.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts