Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

My question is about building an AR-15:
1. What are all the parts you need to build an AR?
2. I noticed a lot of AR companies make "Stripped upper/lower receiver sets".
Could someone explain what exactly this means. (does it mean the whole gun? or would I still need butt stock and grip and barrel?)

Those are pretty much all my questions right now.
Thanks for any help!

-Jordan

P.S. Has anyone heard of C3 Defence? http://www.c3defenseinc.com/KISS/index.cfm They seem like pretty good guns, but I wouldn't really know what makes a good gun. :eek:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
As you started in the title of this thread -
AR-15 questions, newbie help!
If your a noob to the AR-15, then let your first purchase be a complete rifle. At least then you have a template to work off of to to build your second or third rifle.

Besides that, I would look for bushmaster parts. Colt does not sell its AR-15 rifles to the public anymore, so I boycott colt products.

·
Registered
566 Posts

If your a noob to the AR-15, then let your first purchase be a complete rifle. At least then you have a template to work off of to to build your second or third rifle.

Besides that, I would look for bushmaster parts. Colt does not sell its AR-15 rifles to the public anymore, so I boycott colt products.

Ill agree with Kev. Buy a complete rifle first. Get to know the weapon and then build one.

One way you could take would be to buy a complete lower and a complete upper receiver. Put them together and you can avoid a 11% firearms tax. The lower will have to go through an FFL and the upper and any parts other than the lower can be shipped to your house.

Colt does sell to the public. There are numerous colt rifles new from the factory here in Colorado.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I dont agree lol on buying a complete gun. This is so simple to build why pay 800-1200 for one of the ABC's.

Im new to ARs and took the plung and bought a stripped lower and a full upper with lower parts kit.

I bought my full upper with lower parts kits from www.akpartskits.com you can also check out www.del-ton.com both have the best prices.

I bought my lower receiver from www.essentialarms.com and I see now they are offering full kits as well. Im not sure I would do that but just price it out.

Today buying an AR off the gun shops rack is just to crazy to do. I built mine for 615-620 some where in there. I know it was way 700 bucks for my M4 flattop upper.

I would agree almost 100% of the time with Kev and the other guys but if you build it you will know rifle.

Also a big thing after its built let a gunsmith do a check on it to make sure its all done right. I would do that even if I have built a 100 kits its just good practic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Upper is what is expensive. You can get a complete lower for $230 from DPMS. I'm sure there are plenty of places that sell cheap uppers. You want a decent kit. I'm debating an AK over a kit built AR. AK cheaper, AR more customizeable. Meh. Anyone experienced in the field list some good uppers/places to buy uppers.

I really like the S&W M&P 15 with flat top, but TOO expensive....

EDIT:

Lets say we have a lower, and I went to buy this. What would I need then? It says I need a bolt/carrier assembly and charging handle. Are those expensive parts to find?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ok I have to ask why do you want an M&P other then it looks great and is from a good company but its no differnt then a kit gun.

If you buy an AK you can build an AR for around 8-900 bucks for two guns.

The kit your looking says " This upper receiver is complete less bolt/carrier assembly and charging handle" all you need is a charging handle and a full bolt carrier. That would run you for just them any where from 115-300 bucks and charging handle 14-34 bucks.

I say buy the full kit and if you buy a lower already built sell the stock and extra parts that you dont need unless you want spares but its probly a high way of getting spare parts.

Take a look at this-

The upper full kit

http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_16&products_id=285

The lower receiver

www.essentialarms.com

I dont think you can beat the full upper with lower kit price by piecing one together. Also the 10.5 you will need a class III or SBR license or put a longer flash hider on it.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
there is no such thing as an "SBR license". It is a $200 tax stamp that is affixed to your Form 1 (if you are the mfr of the SBR) or Form 4 (to transfer an already existing SBR to you.)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Abiqua your right I didnt mean to say SBR license I just typed it that way. That $200 bucks I would spend on ammo before I would an short barreled rifle right now thats for sure.

I still think building an AR and buying an AK is the way to go. If you want a short barreled gun I would go with a 16' barrel and use that $200 and buy the ammo. That price for the tax stamp is close to getting 1000 rounds of ammo. I think AIMs has 500 or 700 rounds for $169.00 of brass ammo. I've been buying wolf for my AR and only due to how cheap it is. I want to get brass ammo and the AIMs deal looks about the best way to go.

The full upper with lower parts kit and a stripped lower is the best bang for the buck. I also dont get caught up in the name brand lowers. I think the Essential Arms lowers are still the cheapest out there not sure if I have seen any at a lower price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everybody,

Thanks for all the posts, and I agree with OlympicArmsFan that if I build my AR I will know my rifle better. That aside no one has really answered my questions. :eek:

"My question is about building an AR-15:
Could someone explain what exactly this means. (does it mean the whole gun? or would I still need butt stock and grip and barrel?)" :thumb:

-Jordan

·
Registered
566 Posts
google.com and ar15.com use the search function. Look at pictures, read teach yourself.

No one wants to spend an hour typing up every little thing you need to know.

Hey everybody,

Thanks for all the posts, and I agree with OlympicArmsFan that if I build my AR I will know my rifle better. That aside no one has really answered my questions. :eek:

"My question is about building an AR-15:
Could someone explain what exactly this means. (does it mean the whole gun? or would I still need butt stock and grip and barrel?)" :thumb:

-Jordan

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Thanks Kev I didnt know this about Colt

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is how you do it and the way I did it.

1-stripped lower receiver ( www.essentialarms.com )

2 Full upper with the lower parts kit, comes with stock. ( www. akpartskits.com )

3- The only tool you will need if you follow what parts I told you to buy is a wrench for the stock and you can find those on the net from 9-34 bucks. I let the gunsmith tighten mine up when he goes to check it.

Remember full upper with lower parts kits and a stripped lower and if you want to tighten your own stock get a stock wrench.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just go out and buy one thats already built. By the time you purchase all of the parts and the tools that you would need the cost is about equal to a rifle already to go.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would just go out and buy one thats already built. By the time you purchase all of the parts and the tools that you would need the cost is about equal to a rifle already to go.

Not lol what tools. I put mine together no tools other then a punch that I already had and a putty knife or razor blade. I built mine for 615-630 some where in there and the gun I built will retail at 900-1200 bucks. Thats a big differnce.

If it was an AK I wouldnt do a kit to high and to many tools need the AR so simple.

Buy the upper already to go onto a receiver. Buy a stripped receiver and put the lower together then your take down pins and your ready. I would get the rifle checked though to check the work out thats it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I bought my Stag complete and as suggested by kev I am going to build the rest of the family guns with the first as a reference.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey Sev.Hawk glad to help as you I was in a big way wanting an AR and couldnt afford one. I saved and when I found deals I had some other bill come in and take my money. I just decided to buy the lower receiver and when I got the money I would buy the upper and be done with it.

I did read a lot from others and on other boards before taking the plunge. Im glad I built it this showed me the inside of the gun right away and made me not scared to take it apart after putting it together cause I knew where everything was.

Trebuchet stag is a great AR and I really like those. I wanted to buy a stag lower due to price then I found Essential Arms and was at that time 20 bucks cheaper.

I understand you buying one and now taking the knowledge you have and the gun you have in front of you to just use as a reference to build other rifles.

I for one as a first time builder wouldnt go out and buy a complete AR they are way to high to have a teaching aid. There are a lot of instructions on the net to build, clean and trouble shoot.

I still agree with having the rifle checked before shooting never know if someone used a kit on a receiver that says 5.56/.223 and used a barrel chambered in .223 so even buying from a shop its good to get it checked out.

Sev.Hawk just look around the net ask questions like your doing your doing all the right things before even buying an AR. Im just not a fan of buying brand name and thinking I have the best.

When and if you do go with a kit take your time enjoy it and dont rush it. The only thing I had a hard time on was the detent pins with the springs shooting out. Im just glade someone told me to use a plastic wal-mart bag and then my dad said lets use double sided tape on the putty knife and it helped get it into the receiver.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Always check the head spacing and the upper to lower fit. Also, never use oil on the gas tube, especially inside it. Make sure it cycles fully. Put 1 round of a type you want to use at a time in with a mag, and fire. If it stays back each time with several different rounds you want to use, you have a decent rifle and the gas is adjusted right. If not, it needs the gas hole enlarged a few thousandths, something I'd suggest a gunsmith do if you don't have the tools.

·
Registered
937 Posts
A quick post I didnt relize guys that I was putting in a link that wasnt allowed I apologize for that. I just new that the site had the how to build and wanted to post that but I understand now and want to again say Im sorry on that.

Paulycracker if you buy the complete upper done and test fired it should be ok but I also stress having it checked if you dont have the tools.

The tools would be great to have but a one time build the cost is to high unless you want to change things on the AR it would be a good investment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts