Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Mini-14, here's why.... It's a whole lot less intimidating than a AR. Although a AR is slightly more ergonomic and faster to use to a experienced shooter, the left/right controls of the weapon can be a little confusing for a less experienced shooter. And the Mini is more reliable :D:

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I dare you to try prying my wife's AR-15 from her. It was her very first rifle, and her very first gun. I offered her an exquisite Mini-14, which she shouldered, fired a few rounds from, then sat down and never touched again.

The AR offered a better cheek weld, adjustable stock, lighter forend, easier optics choices and mounting, better sights, flip sights, and far cheaper and reliable magazines. The AR initially cost $50 more than the Mini-14, but more than paid the difference with the purchase of 30 AR magazines.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I have both,and like both. But I think too many points are in favor of the AR to go with the mini-14.
If the Ruger was still a fraction of the cost of the AR, I'd likely suggest that route, but they're not.
Ruger mags are expensive and less common than AR mags. They also don't load into the rifle as instantly or intuitively.
The AR comes in several more varieties, barrel lengths and is more accessorizable.
There are also many manufacturers with varying degrees of quality. You can go "budget AR" and still have a decent rifle ( $699 S&W at CDNN ) or go as nice and high-end as you care to (Colt,Bravo,Noeveske,LMT, etc.)
The AR's are more accurate,even over the newer,improved 580 series.
Also, an AR is going to have substantially better re-sale potential,always an important consideration.
Almost forgot, assembly and disassembly of the AR is considerably less of a PITA than that bolt and recoil spring on the Mini.
As suggested above,take her to a gunstore and have her shoulder both rifles, she'll tell you real quick which she likes better. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Go to the store and get her anything she wants. As long as she keep shooting it doesn't matter.

I keep trying to get my wife to shoot bigger stuff, but she likes her 22lr plink gun.

A ruger 10/22 can't be a bad choice. Although, I like marlin 22lr rifles better myself.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
I'm looking for a rifle for my wife which would be an easier fit for her to shoot?
There are advantages and disadvantages to both platforms. That being said, I'd probably go with the AR15. If you go with a Mini, you're going to be stuck with one caliber (unless you get a .22 conversion kit). If you go with an AR15, you can convert it by changing out the hammer and installing a different upper (9mm, .40 SW, etc). Also, AR15 magazines are a hell of a lot cheaper than factory Ruger magazines.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I'd say whichever fits her better. But remember, the AR-15 with it's buffer, has very low recoil. Whereas the Mini-14 with it's heavy bolt carrier slamming into the receiver, can be a shoulder pounder for such a small cartridge.

Personally, I'd take the Mini over an AR any day, if you get one of the more accurate ones. But good magazines are going to be hard to find and expensive.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I'd say whichever fits her better. But remember, the AR-15 with it's buffer, has very low recoil. Wherease the Mini-14 with it's heavy bolt carrier slamming into the receiver, can be a shoulder pounder for such a small cartridge.

Personally, I'd take the Mini over an AR any day, if you get one of the more accurate ones. But good magazines are going to be hard to find and expensive.[/QUOTE]

I've had very good experience with the ProMag steel 20 rounders and they run less than $15.00

·
It is what it is
793 Posts
I'm looking for a rifle for my wife which would be an easier fit for her to shoot?
I have both. I think that the Mini-14 is a better gateway gun for new rifle shooters. It's much cheaper than an AR, which means you could get several for the family.

And I know I'll get flamed for this, but the AR does take more skill and experience to handle malfunctions and breakdown/clean properly.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.