Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this bayonet cause I thought it would be funny to have a 17" bayonet on a 16" barreled M4. I knew the bayonet wasn't going to be high quality, even with S&H it was under $20, I just wanted it for the chuckle factor. Only problem is when I got it, the muzzle ring wouldn't even fit over the flash hider! :mad: So now I have a real crappy knife that really isn't good for much. Although i thought it kind of reminded me of a Roman gladius, so it might have some usefulness after TSHTF. I might try to see what a machine shop would charge me to properly drill the hole to the correct dimensions, but I really don't want to spend much more on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If its that bad its probably cheap steel for the ring so buy a unibit and ream that sucker out until it fits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No way to keep it centered that way, and could also get out of round. Will need a drill press to make sure the hole stays centered and perfectly round.

Also the blade on this thing is roughly as sharp as the spine of a butter knife.
I use a regular unibit all the time for doing that and haven't had a problem but these should work ok if you can find a step less drill with the right dimensions, they should be relatively self centering but less aggressive if you don't own a commercial drill plant. :thumb:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-stepless-drill-bits-66463.html

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Flash hiders tend to differ. I had a bayonet I brought home from the marines, it barely fit the A1 hider on my AR-180, a bit tight, hot I doubt it would have come off.

Maybe take the bayonet to the gunshow and try some flash hiders, might find one it fits.

·
Registered
215 Posts
No way to keep it centered that way, and could also get out of round. Will need a drill press to make sure the hole stays centered and perfectly round.

Also the blade on this thing is roughly as sharp as the spine of a butter knife.

1- you dont know what a unibit it then. it's a stepped bit that centers itself. problem is they run about $30-50.
2- it's not that critical and you want some slop anyway
3- it's a $20 bayonet/gladius... for th elove of mike have some fun with it!! :thumb:

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1- you dont know what a unibit it then. it's a stepped bit that centers itself. problem is they run about $30-50.
2- it's not that critical and you want some slop anyway
3- it's a $20 bayonet/gladius... for th elove of mike have some fun with it!! :thumb:
I do know what a unibit is, but apparently you don't know what quality workmanship is. Using a unibit to the point where the flashider works will leave a taper and make one side of the metal around the whole very thin, or if you alternate sides there will be a huge over bore on the outside of either side and a narrow thin piece of metal in the middle, not to mention it can still work its way off center if you don't have a proper press to do it with, but then again, i doubt you would know anything about proper machining. If you want to buy one and make it look like crap, you are free to do so.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Have you ever tried a normal bayonet on an AR? There is always plenty of slop in there, hell my M9 fits very well on 1 of my AR's, and really tight on others.

My point is that it does not matter at all if the hole is perfectly centered.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
have a cheap bayonet I got for like $15 online for the same chuckle factor.

the instructions say to unscrew the flash suppressor to put it on. honestly didn't know they were supposed to clear, none of my AR's flash suppressor are that small. since it's just for looks/messing around anyway, what's the big deal to unscrew it? you're not going to be slapping the thing on a hot barrel in the middle of a battle anyway.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,208 Posts
Ok, why does a thread about a cheap bayonet attract so many spammers? I’ve deleted 8 out of this thread in the last month.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
I do know what a unibit is, but apparently you don't know what quality workmanship is. Using a unibit to the point where the flashider works will leave a taper and make one side of the metal around the whole very thin, or if you alternate sides there will be a huge over bore on the outside of either side and a narrow thin piece of metal in the middle, not to mention it can still work its way off center if you don't have a proper press to do it with, but then again, i doubt you would know anything about proper machining. If you want to buy one and make it look like crap, you are free to do so.
It’s a $20 knife you admittedly bought for fun. Unbunch yer panties and ream the sucker out a bit, if yer man enough to get er done.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts