Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Bushmaster bought the rights for A.R.E.S.'s design and is making them for $399, this is the system that I put in my wife's M4. I don't have any long term reports to give, but after about 1,500 rounds without a problem and about 60% less time needed for cleaning, I'd say they're well worth the asking price.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why not an AR-180B? It's less expensive, more reliable, easier to clean and at least as accurate as a standard AR-15.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Isnt this kind of like building a swiss watch into an AK? I don't really have any experience to even comment on this one but if your going to add the same gas system, why not just get an FAL or AK?

Sorry for the dumb question. Just not understanding the conversion.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Isnt this kind of like building a swiss watch into an AK? I don't really have any experience to even comment on this one but if your going to add the same gas system, why not just get an FAL or AK?

A gas piston system is more reliable than gas impingement system...

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts

My firearm of choice is one of my M1A's, but my wife is recoil sensitive so the 5.56 round is more suitable for her. At one time I had chosen the best out of the seven AK's I owned for her, a real nice GSAD Polytech, but she always complained about how it "jumped" when she fired it and how "awkward" it was for her to operate. An AR with the piston conversion has the reliability of an AK, but the ergonomics, ease of use, and extremely low recoil of an AR. It really is the best of both worlds.

·
Transplant
355 Posts
I was going to go with the Osprey kit for my rifle... but they don't have it for a mid-length. I've been since looking at the Adams Arms kit. The AA kit is 500$, which is 200$ more than the Osprey kit, and my not even fit under my handguard.

I've decided I AM going with it, even if I'll have to change another 300$ worth of parts. Come to think of it, I've got enough "extra parts" laying around I could probably build another AR pretty cheaply...

·
Registered
218 Posts
My firearm of choice is one of my M1A's, but my wife is recoil sensitive so the 5.56 round is more suitable for her. At one time I had chosen the best out of the seven AK's I owned for her, a real nice GSAD Polytech, but she always complained about how it "jumped" when she fired it and how "awkward" it was for her to operate. An AR with the piston conversion has the reliability of an AK, but the ergonomics, ease of use, and extremely low recoil of an AR. It really is the best of both worlds.
+1 on this post

·
Registered
282 Posts
problem for me is i have yet to find a gas piston conversion that is not picky with wat rails go on the barrel no gas piston system i know of yet is able to adapt to my KAC RAS II

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
problem for me is i have yet to find a gas piston conversion that is not picky with wat rails go on the barrel no gas piston system i know of yet is able to adapt to my KAC RAS II
Have you considered using a standard A2 upper with a raised cheek rest on the buttstock?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts