Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there everybody. Lately ive been thinking about buying an ar15, except the price is really expensive. i wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a build it yourself kit. any ideas or tips would be great.

·
Registered
923 Posts
you may get a better product with build, but i think you can get one cheaper retail..or used. check out rra less than grand

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Here is a tip from MikeK,

Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.

·
Wish I'd taken blue pill
230 Posts
Hurry up and decide before the next panic buy starts as we approach the Nov election.
If you are going to buy a stripped lower and build from there, don't forget that you will need a few specialized tools which are not sold at Home Depot.
Many Walmarts are now stocking AR-15's at competitive prices.
Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Deltons web site has a bunch of good parts and kits and you could likely build an ar with more features for the price. It really depends what you are looking for in terms of the set up. There are so many companies making ars you can probably find what you are looking for at a decent price. What are the particulars that you for?

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
With a kit the benefit of learning all the ins and outs of your rifle is invaluable as well.

By building one you can also source all your parts and build exactly what you want, you save on the federal excise tax (11% on completed rifles) and the labor they charge for assembly.

You can build a quality weapon for hundreds less.

Reactions: American ME!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
hey there everybody. Lately ive been thinking about buying an ar15, except the price is really expensive. i wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a build it yourself kit. any ideas or tips would be great.
If you are going to build, get with an experienced hand to guide you. The price will vary proportionally on how much you want to put into it.

As far as "bang for the buck" buying....you need to take a look at the Ruger SR556. Go to www.sogarmory.com and register with them for their email promotions as they do indeed have some really good deals. With Memorial Day coming up, I'd wager that they will have a special/sale/promotion on their own AR/M4 line. Check them out as well if you decide to build as they will have all you need and they carry the highest quality inventory IMO. Good luck!:thumb::cool:

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Hurry up and decide before the next panic buy starts as we approach the Nov election.
If you are going to buy a stripped lower and build from there, don't forget that you will need a few specialized tools which are not sold at Home Depot.
Many Walmarts are now stocking AR-15's at competitive prices.
Good luck.

Ovomit is one hell of a firearm salesman, is he not?:thumb::cool:

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
With a kit the benefit of learning all the ins and outs of your rifle is invaluable as well.

By building one you can also source all your parts and build exactly what you want, you save on the federal excise tax (11% on completed rifles) and the labor they charge for assembly.

You can build a quality weapon for hundreds less.

VERY well put!:thumb::cool:

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Here is a tip from MikeK,

Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.

Uhhhhhhh....does this thread NOT belong here?:confused::confused:

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
1. If you cannot afford an AR-15, can you afford to practice 1k+ rounds a year to keep proficient with it?
2. If you are not familiar with the platform, you can only guess what setup/configuration you want. There is a 75% chance you will want to change something once you get accustomed to it.
3. To "build" an AR correctly, you will need specialized tools that will bring the price back up to a retail price without a warranty, guarantee, or even a customer sercice line. If you blow yourself up, you're up the creek.
4. If you want to assemble an AR from a kit, that is fine. However do not make substitutions of the kit. You also need to verify that the kit's parts are good. Only (lots) of research or experience will tell you this.
5. The chances are, whatever you buy/build/assemble will be getting parts swapped around for a couple years until you finally go back to a KISS setup. I have drawers full of parts that for one reason or another, simply didnt cut it. And some of the manufacturers names would suprise you.....YHM, CAA, Stag, GG&G, etc.

A "custom built" rifle is for those who KNOW their equipment. Do yourself a favor and go buy one that suits you. I highly recommend a 20" A2 standard rifle with fixed stock. This is the configuaration that gives you the highest margin of reliability and accuracy. It may not be "cool" but it will work.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts

get a double star car 15 at buds gun shop... google search it.. $600 ish. not bad well made.

all lowers are basicall the same minus the logo... seach and read about it on ar15.com the more well known name= more $$$.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts