Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I saw this on youtube last night and wanted to know what would make this happen. This is kind of crazy and the gun can tell there is a problem after a few shots.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I noticed the guy in the red shirt didn't have any glasses on, and the shooter was just wearing sunglasses. "You'll put yer eye out kid!"

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Tactitocool!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: As much as I'm not a fan of the M Sucksteen/AR15. I've never heard of them doing that unless it was something to do with headspace being excessive or out of spec ammo (short necked/cracked brass). The man having several "Duds" (more likely light strikes) and hitting the forward assist several times suggest this. But I could be wrong. Either way it was still funny for no one got hurt.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tactitocool!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: As much as I'm not a fan of the M Sucksteen/AR15. I've never heard of them doing that unless it was something to do with headspace being excessive or out of spec ammo (short necked/cracked brass). The man having several "Duds" (more likely light strikes) and hitting the forward assist several times suggest this. But I could be wrong. Either way it was still funny for no one got hurt.

Rifleman 336

Yeah kind of scary video to really show what we are dealing with.

The ammo was the problem. I posted this video on another board. I didnt hear them talking about the rounds on the video to well until someone pointed that out. I just thought bad ammo but its reloads that caused this problem.

Now this makes me rethink reloading ammo.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have reloaded and fired thousands of 223 ammo with out a hiccup. I would venture a guess the person reloading this ammo didn't know his arse from the old hole in the ground.

Reactions: Reality Czech

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
A friend bought a bunch of ammo from a commercial reloader and had the same thing happen to him. He put 10 rounds in a mag and the third round blew the floor plate, spring, follower and the rest of the rounds out the bottom of the magazine. The case separated just in front of the web. It didn't hurt him or the AR. We weighed the loaded rounds and found three more that were loaded too lite. Instead of the 22 grains of ball powder the lite loads had 5 to 8 grains. The powder ignited all at one and exploded instead of burning at a controlled rate.
Reloading is very safe if you pay attention.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
A friend bought a bunch of ammo from a commercial reloader and had the same thing happen to him. He put 10 rounds in a mag and the third round blew the floor plate, spring, follower and the rest of the rounds out the bottom of the magazine. The case separated just in front of the web. It didn't hurt him or the AR. We weighed the loaded rounds and found three more that were loaded too lite. Instead of the 22 grains of ball powder the lite loads had 5 to 8 grains. The powder ignited all at one and exploded instead of burning at a controlled rate.
Reloading is very safe if you pay attention.

thats why every round I reload, the powder comes out of a spoon scoop on to a eclectic scale before being dumped into the casing. All my cases are measured and trimmed if needed. Each finished round is measured for length. Takes longer but I know it will go bang not boooooom.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
thats why every round I reload, the powder comes out of a spoon scoop on to a eclectic scale before being dumped into the casing. All my cases are measured and trimmed if needed. Each finished round is measured for length. Takes longer but I know it will go bang not boooooom.
I load on a Dillon 550B but I look into every case before I seat the bullet. I shoot 25g of Varget behind a 69g match bullet and the powder comes up to the bottom of the case neck so it's easy to see.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually had that happen to me while firing a friends AR. Scared the bejezus out of me.

The ammo was S&B and the rifle was a Rock River. Rifle went to Rock River after it happened with the bolt jammed in it. Rock River said the ammo was to blame due to case failure. S&B bought a new rifle for my friend and sent him 2000 rounds total of free ammo. He fired all 2000 rounds out of his new RRA AR and never had a problem.

Here was the original post I made about it.

Well, today was not a good day for a friend of mine.

We went to the rifle range this afternoon. I took my heavily modified Saiga .223 that I legally converted with all the US parts. He wanted to shoot it. He brought one of his ARs. We shot mine for a while and had no problems at all. I love this gun totally. Nuff about it though.

Next he brought out his AR. It was a Rock River (his #1 - his #2 is a Stag). He pulled out a 30 round mag and fired it off - no problems. Then he gave it to me to shoot and handed me a 30 rounder. He has been trying to convince me to buy an AR for a while.

I pull it up to shoot - and the first 4 rounds go off as normal. Then next trigger pulled scared the ever loving daylights out of me.:eek::eek::eek:

The gun bucked as normal, but then the shell casing (best we can figure) blew out. This shattered the bolt and carrier making it look as though it was a peeled banana. Lodged the bolt so you couldn't even separate the upper and lower. It then dumped all the expanding gases down the mag well forced the unfired rounds down the mag and blew out the floor plate, spring, follower, and the rounds on to the ground. After inspecting the destroyed weapon - we found that the upper had been buckled outward, and the ejection port cover would not close again.:mad::mad:

The lower receiver had both vertical and horizontal stress fractures on both sides, and the area around the mag well was pushed out on both sides. The bolt catch and the magazine catch had both sheared completely off and hit me in the chest.:mad::mad:

I will tell you I have never had a gun do that before - ever. And I hope I never ever will again. It basically took his $1000 dollor AR and turned it into a really expensive base ball bat.

Best we can figure is the factory loaded S&B ammo was loaded entirely too hot. It was S&B ammo, but there was a lot of the exact same ammo that had been fired two weeks ago by us through his Stag. He has found all the ammo and boxes and has the Lot #s, and found he still has about 100 rnds left - bet you can't guess what he's gonna do with it.

To those that only have a single weapon and boat loads of ammo for it - and plan to use it in a survival type situation - you might do well to purchase a backup weapon in the same caliber. Lest you have an expensive base ball bat and plenty of ammo to hit or through with it.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
This actually was a common issue within the department that I work in. It seemedd that the supplier had an entire batch that was loaded in error and somewhere in the area of 500,000 rounds were recalled. The downside is that we bought over 350,000 of them.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
People like that at public ranges make me nervous. I always ask to be put at the other end on the firing line alone instead of being next to strangers.

·
96 Posts
Doesn't look like a USGI mag to me. I doubt that would cause it though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I read somewhere else that one of the rounds he fires gets lodged in the bore and the next round that was fired had bad results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts