Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually would not ask such a dumb question, but here goes. I was given around 500 rounds of Wolf steel ammo in .223. I am real hesitant about firing through my AR-15. Is it safe? I have never used steel cased ammo in anything other than my AK, or SKS. I have been told that this is a no-no to fire steel through the AR-15. I am all too aware of the delicate nature of the AR, as I am ex-Army, and know how touchy these weapons can be. I probably will never use this ammo except in an extreme emergency situation, and only after I have depleted all other ammo. Just wondering. Any help, thanks.

·
Fideli Certa Merces
178 Posts
I usually would not ask such a dumb question, but here goes. I was given around 500 rounds of Wolf steel ammo in .223. I am real hesitant about firing through my AR-15. Is it safe? I have never used steel cased ammo in anything other than my AK, or SKS. I have been told that this is a no-no to fire steel through the AR-15. I am all too aware of the delicate nature of the AR, as I am ex-Army, and know how touchy these weapons can be. I probably will never use this ammo except in an extreme emergency situation, and only after I have depleted all other ammo. Just wondering. Any help, thanks.

The main problem that I've heard of is the laquer that they put on them can melt when firing and coat the chamber and bolt - BUT - that was for the older stuff. New production supposedly has a different coating that doesnt do this.

I fire wolf through my AR at times and have never had any problems - I only buy recent production, and clean my gun after every use - NO EXCEPTIONS.

If it was produced recently, then go for it. If someone convinces you that its no good to shoot, let me know and I'll take it off your hands! :D::thumb:

·
Learning more each day
253 Posts
In an emergency situation where it was fire these 500 rounds or run over and hit them with the butt of the gun I would use the ammo. The problem with wolf is it dirty and will leave your weapon dirty. If you shoot it you need to clean your weapon after every use if you do not it can cause jams. Bottom line if that is all I had left I would shoot it in my AR-15

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to take them off your hands if you don't want them....

Reactions: ROADKING1

·
Registered
291 Posts
bad ammo DO NOT USE IN YOUR AR15.DO NOT USE AT ALL. for your own safety mail the 500 rnds to me and i will dispose of correctly for free.LOL

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Damnit Bulldog...you are taking ammo out of my gun! That is similar to taking food out of my mouth, except that I could bite you in the process.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'd use it now for practice and keep the good stuff in reserve. If it works fine, you learned something, if it doesn't you learned something and disposed of it. Either way you win, and you can do something with the information.

I'd hate to be down to my last 500 rounds and find out it sucks and can't be replaced.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I would save the ammo. Steel cased ammo is hard on the extractor. It is fine in Russian guns because Russian guns are built for it. American guns are not delicate, just not built for steel casings. I do not know how many thousand rounds you have to run through to weaken an extractor but why bother messing with it.

Hollow point ammo is fine on the rifle, hard on the target though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Shoot it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts