Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I puchased a Bushmaster M4 A3 carbine from a gun shop which I will not mention by name. When I ordered the gun it was suppose to have a Heavy barrel, being new to AR 15's when I recieved it I did not know it was not a heavy barrel. It was not till today that I discovered that it was not after 2 years. My reciept shows it as a heavy barrel and I paid $1285.00 for the gun, which I knew was high because it supposedly had a HBAR. Turns out Bushmaster doesn't make an M4 with a HBAR. What should I do or better yet what would anyone do?

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Yeah, after two years you probably just need to take it as a lesson learned. Since the upper receivers can just be swapped out, you have no proof that you didn't get a heavy barrel upper.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 years later? Chalk it up to experience. Learn what you are buying before you buy it.
2 years later shouldn't matter its not a warranty issue, my reciept says heavy barrel and it was not, the gun shop is still in buisness. To suggest that I know what I am buying before I buy it when I knew absolutly nothing about AR's is a pretty lame reply to a post when someone is looking for advice. Fact is when you buy from a reputable gun shop and you know nothing about AR's one must rely on the person selling the gun to be straight forward and most of all honest. I'm sure you knew absolutly nothing about AR's also when you got your first one so please in the future keep your crap opinions to yourself.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, after two years you probably just need to take it as a lesson learned. Since the upper receivers can just be swapped out, you have no proof that you didn't get a heavy barrel upper.
Gee whiz read the post man, I stated Bushmaster doesn't produce a HBAR M4.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
While I am not familiar with Bushmasters current models (they all change over time), I know that Bushy does make a heavy barrel, (perhaps not installed on your rifle though). The only way to know for sure if your barrel is an HBAR is to remove the forearm panels and measure the barrel thickness under them. A Bushmaster heavy barrel will have the exact same measurements forward of the front sight as a govt profile(m4) barrel.

If your rifle has a standard (or M4) profile barrel, sorry but its too late to try and change it now. If your rifle has a standard telestock, the govt profile barrel is better anyway b/c of better balance vs a heavy barrel.

Because of this carbines design (overall lightweight, short barrel, non-floating barrel, heavy trigger, etc) I have only seen one instance where a heavy barrel could be proven to be the difference that grouped better than a standard profile one. And that was also between two different barrel manufacturers.

If you want imoproved accuracy of your rifle, a free floating handguard and trigger upgrade will make much more difference than a heavy barrel.

The only PROVEN difference between a standard profile carbine barrel and a HBAR with the same manufacture and specs is the time it takes the barrel to get hot. There will be nay sayers to this, but trust me that you won't see a difference on the targets.

Example 1. "Jeffrey is full of crap, my HBAR shoots 1/4" MOA". Okay, who made the barrel? "It's a custom built 24" match barrel that cost $4000 with a $2000 Swarovski scope."

2. "Jeffrey is full of crap, my 16" HBAR shoots 1/8" MOA." Okay, what upper do you have? "I have a top of the line monolithic rail upper."

3. "Jeffrey is full of crap, my 16" HBAR shoots twice as straight as my buddies identical rifle with standard barrel." Okay, what ammo do you use? He uses 55grain wolf and I use 62grain match ammo, but that doesnt matter."

·
semper in angaria
1,578 Posts
Does your receipt say "M4"? What does the receipt say exactly? They do make a heavy barrel carbine. Does the receipt specify serial #?

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16.asp

If I am going to drop serious money on something you can bet your ass I am going to do my own research before the money is on the table. But since you think time doesn't matter...go to the shop and see what they are willing to do.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
2 years later shouldn't matter its not a warranty issue, my reciept says heavy barrel and it was not, the gun shop is still in buisness. To suggest that I know what I am buying before I buy it when I knew absolutly nothing about AR's is a pretty lame reply to a post when someone is looking for advice. Fact is when you buy from a reputable gun shop and you know nothing about AR's one must rely on the person selling the gun to be straight forward and most of all honest. I'm sure you knew absolutly nothing about AR's also when you got your first one so please in the future keep your crap opinions to yourself.
You ask for opinions, then when you get them you get bent out of shape because they aren't what you wanted to hear? It doesn't work like that. People are going to give their opinion in their own words, not yours.

I research before buying. I never buy something I know nothing about. I deal with that type at gun shows all the time. They want an accessory, but don't know what gun they have.

The advice you were given was good advice. But, what do you want to hear? Take it back to the shop and see what they say. I think we all know what that will be.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Gee whiz read the post man,.
I did.. your post said "what should I do, or better yet what would anyone do?"
My response was to your question. Please feel free to ignore the answer and just take your gun to the shop and see what they tell you. Obviously that is what you want to do anyway.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Unless you can prove they sold it that way, I'd say it's your bad.
Can you imagine going back to a car dealership 2 years later claiming you ordered different wheels?? LoL

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,885 Posts
If you've shot it......you are more than likely SOL

If they deal in used uppers, maybe they'll make you a trade, providing they have what you want.

Remember........Buyer Beware

Reactions: davis

·
Joshua 24:14-15
980 Posts
I prefer to not have the Hbar anyway, so I'd say you did fine on the deal.

I know it probably doesn't feel good, but in reality you should have figured it out when you first got the carbine. It's their fault too, but you had some responsibility there.

I'm not trying to beat on you about it, just saying you're in fine shape where you are and you had some responsibility that you didn't hold up to on your end.

Shoot it and shoot it some more. Wear that barrel out and then I bet you'll be glad you didn't get a hbar. Run that thing through a carbine course and get a couple of cases of ammo. Try not to worry about the barrel issue.

:)

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Though I doubt anything can be done, I would still take the rifle and the receipt to the gun shop where it was purchased and show them both the recept and the rifle if nothing else just to make a point to them. Maybe they will keep you in mind and knock off some $$on a future purchase, though I wouldnt be purchasing anyting from them again. I am proud to say I have atrusted gun dealer. One I would even feel safe ordering something hit or miss from, like a century product.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You ask for opinions, then when you get them you get bent out of shape because they aren't what you wanted to hear? It doesn't work like that. People are going to give their opinion in their own words, not yours.

I research before buying. I never buy something I know nothing about. I deal with that type at gun shows all the time. They want an accessory, but don't know what gun they have.

The advice you were given was good advice. But, what do you want to hear? Take it back to the shop and see what they say. I think we all know what that will be.
I didn't ask for opinions, I asked for advice, and I am hoping I can get a better answer from someone with a 3rd grade education or better, I guess that leaves you out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Though I doubt anything can be done, I would still take the rifle and the receipt to the gun shop where it was purchased and show them both the recept and the rifle if nothing else just to make a point to them. Maybe they will keep you in mind and knock off some $$on a future purchase, though I wouldnt be purchasing anyting from them again. I am proud to say I have atrusted gun dealer. One I would even feel safe ordering something hit or miss from, like a century product.
Thanks davis you answered my question with great distinction and forethought, you are a credit to humanity and the Survivilist boards.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
The gun I got was the M4 A3 14.5" barrel, the one I should have recieved was the M4 A3 16" HBAR, but not knowing the first thing about the AR15 weapon I relied on the honesty of the Gun shop guy. I am going to the shop thursday.
What muzzle device is on your rifle? Check to see if your flash hider can be removed by hand. A 14.5" barrel must have the flash hider permanently installed (pinned and welded)-Bushmaster knows this. If you can unscrew that flash hider, you have an illegal configuration (unregistered short barrel rifle) and the dealer will have no choice but to take it back or replace your barrel.

p.s. If that flashy can be removed, make sure there are no LEOs around when you talk to the owner of the store. You must have original receipt in hand of course.

·
Joshua 24:14-15
980 Posts
What muzzle device is on your rifle? Check to see if your flash hider can be removed by hand. A 14.5" barrel must have the flash hider permanently installed (pinned and welded)-Bushmaster knows this. If you can unscrew that flash hider, you have an illegal configuration (unregistered short barrel rifle) and the dealer will have no choice but to take it back or replace your barrel.

p.s. If that flashy can be removed, make sure there are no LEOs around when you talk to the owner of the store. You must have original receipt in hand of course.
A big +1 on this.

One other thing I'll say is that you might want to handle the 16". You might find you prefer the 14.5". I have one that I really enjoy.

I would ensure that FH is properly attached like Jeffrey said.

Let us know how this goes, I'm interested for some reason.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
I didn't ask for opinions, I asked for advice, and I am hoping I can get a better answer from someone with a 3rd grade education or better, I guess that leaves you out.
I guess a third grade education is all it takes to know to research a purchase before making it. Sorry you got burned, but it does happen sometimes. Probably a simple mistake on their part. Whether they'll make good on it two years later or not remains to be seen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts