Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just got a call from the gunsmith the AR project I did is ready to be picked up.

The gunsmith took it to the range and had it jam a few times. He took it back to the shop to inspect it and found a problem with the action bar being bent a little. He told me that he put it in a vice and straightened it out and took it back out to the range again and it now fires with no jams.

I want to know what the action bar is?

Maybe he is calling it something or using a term that im not sure of. I could have done something when putting it together to have caused this. I just know its fixed and the AR is now funtioning.

He did say the kit was a nice one and that I had a few pins in wrong lol so my skill leveal showed up there.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
He must be using that to refer to something else cause an action bar is on shotguns from what I know. Is this a piston upper?? If so that may be what he was talking about.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Just a wild guess but judging by his Username Olympic Arms doesn't make a piston AR and leads me to believe it's the charging handle the gun smith is referring to. Really if you think about it, it's the only piece on an AR15 that can be bent in a vise and it makes perfect sense because the key slides under/in the charging handle and if it is bent it will create drag therefore causing it to jam.

OlympicArmsFan, look at the gas key to see if there is any ware on it from rubbing against the charging handle, also check the bottom of the charging handle.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a Kit gun not a brand name. I built this one and it was my first. I like Olympic Arms just couldnt afford what I wanted so i built.

From other boards i've posted this on you all seem to be coming up with the same thing charging handle. I think it is to and im trying to play the call over in my head. This was on a cell phone and he said the handle felt gummy like it didnt want to fly home so Im think its the charging hanlde. I wish I had called him back on a land line as my cell was in a bad area but I was heading to a meeting.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Im thinking this guy used your rifle in a bank robbery and it got messed up in the shoot out. It could happen.:D:

Or it could be the charging handle. My idea is much sessier. :cool:

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
This is a Kit gun not a brand name. I built this one and it was my first. I like Olympic Arms just couldnt afford what I wanted so i built.

From other boards i've posted this on you all seem to be coming up with the same thing charging handle. I think it is to and im trying to play the call over in my head. This was on a cell phone and he said the handle felt gummy like it didnt want to fly home so Im think its the charging hanlde. I wish I had called him back on a land line as my cell was in a bad area but I was heading to a meeting.

Not an AA meeting I hope:D:

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
You have my curiosity up now. Please tell us what an "action bar" is. I have never heard of on an AR-15 when you find out. :confused:

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
my ar is a scratched up piece of **** and it barely works so feel good yours atleast works..... lol my grandpa got it a while ago and used it for hunting an gave it to my dad when he stopped hunting, then my dad gave it to me because he didnt want to have to clean it so much and take good care of it... so basically it is messed up fro years of missuse

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have my curiosity up now. Please tell us what an "action bar" is. I have never heard of on an AR-15 when you find out. :confused:
I replayed the call in my head and I think its the charging handle. This is very good gunsmith one that stays busy all year around and he is a good ol country boy and I think he just used a common term maybe one that I wouldnt think of for the AR.

The charging handle was the problem.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
my ar is a scratched up piece of **** and it barely works so feel good yours atleast works..... lol my grandpa got it a while ago and used it for hunting an gave it to my dad when he stopped hunting, then my dad gave it to me because he didnt want to have to clean it so much and take good care of it... so basically it is messed up fro years of missuse
Sounds like a project waiting to happen. Replace a few parts and refinish some others. Even if it needs a new barrel its still cheaper than buying a new one.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a little to clean it up and redo the finish with some duro coat (Spelled wrong I think) and then take it out to the range and run some ammo through it and see how it does and then break it down clean it and see if anything needs replaced. The price of fixing it is gonna be cheaper then buying new thats for sure. Also take it to a gunsmith have him check it out and it could be a mag issuie to.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The charger is the only bar so ditto for that. Did he shoot ball ammo or some other stuff?
I hated to hand in my M14 for that frigging plastic rifle when I was in the Marines. Ya know it was like WTF is this I broke the first one and got railed for it. The second one shot better but was still crap compared to my M14.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked it up today and it was the charging handle and I could tell the differnce in it from when I first had it and he told me to rack it back a few time and see how I thought it was. I could tell a big differnce right away.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I replayed the call in my head and I think its the charging handle. This is very good gunsmith one that stays busy all year around and he is a good ol country boy and I think he just used a common term maybe one that I wouldnt think of for the AR.

The charging handle was the problem.
Thanks, I was really puzzled there, not attempting to be a snob. I am really glad to hear that everything is back to working order. Have a good time with her.:thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts