Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a .22 lr conversion kit for my 5.56 AR. It seems like I could have the best of both worlds in the "What 1 gun would you take?" debate.

Anyone have any experience with them? Are they reliable, jam? Do the magazines feed ok?

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I have a couple of the old milsurp M-261 conversion kits. They function fine until they get dirty. Then they start jamming. High velocity ammo functions better and generally shoots better groups. Remember you are shooting a .22 caliber bullet down a .223 bore so don't expect great accuracy. Three inches at 50 yards is about standard in my rifles.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3" @ 50 yards? Wow. For the price of the kit, I could get a half decent .22 pistol and have better shot grouping.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
WHY oh WHY would you want to Downgrade your AR?? AT almost anything less than 25 feet you might as well just throw a big rock. Just stick to the typical .223/5.56 and buy a bolt action or long barrel revolver .22lr, Sorry just my opinion.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHY oh WHY would you want to Downgrade your AR?? AT almost anything less than 25 feet you might as well just throw a big rock. Just stick to the typical .223/5.56 and buy a bolt action or long barrel revolver .22lr, Sorry just my opinion.

I was thinking from a survival perspective--use the .22lr conversion for small game. That way I would not have to carry extra gear. From what I have read so far, it would be a waste.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have also been thinking of buying the conversion kit. Simply because I enjoy shooting it and .22 LR is cheaper.

Tbull:cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Cierner (sp???) kit for my AR. I like it, but I use it mainly for drills - mag changes and stuff like that. It won't win any accuracy awards though. It frequently send a couple fliers - the barrel is larger than the .22 round just enough to cause it to be inaccurate past 50 yrds. That is why I have my 10/22s if I want to hunt with them. Plus, you have to use a good 22 round to have it feed reliably. I use the CCI, the Rem bulk packs just won't work in it very well.

I also bought 4 of the Bulldog 22 mags for the AR. much cheaper, and helps when actually using for drills.

If you buy one, just make sure to change the bolt carrier back to the 5.56 and run a couple of rounds to clean out the gas system from the 22. They are pretty dirty.

But all in all it does what it was bought for - to increase trigger time - cheap! :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts