Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again friends. I recently purchased a palmetto state armory AR-10 lower with a bear Creek upper. I know I know, I must be Mr money bags with those operator tier picks. I'm wondering if anyone has the same or similar and can recommend a magazine that'll function well. I hear AR-10 are picky eaters. Thanks in advance y'all

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Do not have an AR-10, but Magpul is time tested and field proven in every platform I do have. My .308 loving buddies all buy them for their 10's.

ProMag on the other hand is the polar opposite and should be avoided like a blue haired chick with a nose ring and a protest sign.
In general where ARs are concerned, if you don't want to worry, get Magpul. ©

I literally threw a stack of old ProMag AR-15 mags in the trash a while back due to never knowing if I could trust them.

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,583 Posts
Hello again friends. I recently purchased a palmetto state armory AR-10 lower with a bear Creek upper. I know I know, I must be Mr money bags with those operator tier picks. I'm wondering if anyone has the same or similar and can recommend a magazine that'll function well. I hear AR-10 are picky eaters. Thanks in advance y'all
I have a PSA AR-10.
Magpul mags, all the way.
I have 5, 10 & 25 round capacity Magpul mags.
Never, ever a FTF / FTE or similar issues.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
What's your upper/lower? I've heard bad things about lancer
One thing I don't like about Lancer (at least for AR-15s and .300 BLK) is that when fully loaded, I can't even push the top round down at all, it's like pushing a brick wall. With Magpul or Daniel Defense, you can push them down slightly and feel the spring action return them to the top. That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. 😍

But Magpul is way cheaper than DD and still works 100%, so Magpul it is!

·
What hell, pay attention
9,238 Posts
My M&P10 came with a 20 round Magpul, and that's what I went with. I have a bunch of both 20, and 25 rounders, and they all have been fine.

Not sure where the "fincky" comment comes from, but my rifle runs like all my other AR's. Pretty boring in that respect. :)

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,583 Posts
A Mako reciprocating GL-Shock buttstock, a Kynshot buffer, a Witt Machine muzzle rise eliminator (compensater), a Vortex Diamondback scope and a bipod.

The first 3 items were to tame the insane recoil.

The day I bought it, I wanted to pop a few rounds at PSA's indoor range. The guy in the next lane over just picked up a new M1A1. He wanted to try my AR-10. He shot one round and went "WOW, that hurt!" This was, of course, before all the furniture add-ons. I tried his M1A1 and it wonderful to shoot, much less recoil and no pain at all. FYI for thos who don't know, they are both 7.62x51mm rifles.

I shot 3 rounds on my AR-10 and was bruised for a week, literally.
It kicked harder than my 12 guage Mossberg 500 SP. That was why I researched and went with the accessories. Didn't go for a cheek rest, though.

Nowadays, it's a pleasure to shoot out to 300 yards, comfortably. The recoil is a bit more than an AR-15 (it thumps a lot harder, of course), but it is tamed to the point of no pain and bruising. Very accurate, too.
I can generally hit 2 or 3 MOA at 100 yards consistently from a standing stance, and half that from prone.

This is definitely my favorite rifle and can double as a hog and deer harvester...and one helluva self defense tool.

·
What hell, pay attention
9,238 Posts
A Mako reciprocating GL-Shock buttstock, a Kynshot buffer, a Witt Machine muzzle rise eliminator (compensater), a Vortex Diamondback scope and a bipod.

The first 3 items were to tame the insane recoil.

The day I bought it, I wanted to pop a few rounds at PSA's indoor range. The guy in the next lane over just picked up a new M1A1. He wanted to try my AR-10. He shot one round and went "WOW, that hurt!" This was, of course, before all the furniture add-ons. I tried his M1A1 and it wonderful to shoot, much less recoil and no pain at all. FYI for thos who don't know, they are both 7.62x51mm rifles.

I shot 3 rounds on my AR-10 and was bruised for a week, literally.
It kicked harder than my 12 guage Mossberg 500 SP. That was why I researched and went with the accessories. Didn't go for a cheek rest, though.

Nowadays, it's a pleasure to shoot out to 300 yards, comfortably. The recoil is a bit more than an AR-15 (it thumps a lot harder, of course), but it is tamed to the point of no pain and bruising. Very accurate, too.
I can generally hit 2 or 3 MOA at 100 yards consistently from a standing stance, and half that from prone.

This is definitely my favorite rifle and can double as a hog and deer harvester...and one helluva self defense tool.
Hmmm, what kind of rifle are you shooting? My stock S&W is a pussycat to shoot, and that's with a simple, typical GI-type sliding stock. I actually think its softer shooting than my M1A's were.

First day I shot mine, I probably shot around 60-80 rounds and in nothing but a tee shirt. And thats how Ive been shooting it all summer now.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
During covid Pmags were very hard to find. I bought Duramags which are metal. Put them out in the AR 10s and 15s. I did not have any complaints and we sold a lot of them. This is a ten round state and often times 30 rd maga were available but not ten or five, five round mags are required for hunting.

·
Registered
242 Posts
One thing I don't like about Lancer (at least for AR-15s and .300 BLK) is that when fully loaded, I can't even push the top round down at all, it's like pushing a brick wall. With Magpul or Daniel Defense, you can push them down slightly and feel the spring action return them to the top. That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. 😍

But Magpul is way cheaper than DD and still works 100%, so Magpul it is!
Lancer mags come with round limiters built into the floor plate to make absolute certain that they cannot load more than 30 rounds. You can usually fit 31 rounds into a Magpul mag because they are built with extra space so you can easily load them on a closed bolt. The good news is you can easily shave the Lancer limiters down so that you have more room in the mag and it will easily load. Lancer even posted a blog post about this ten years ago and advised people to just shave the round limiter down if they wanted more room and easier loading mags.

I have shaved all of my Lancer mag limiters down with no bad side effects and advise you to do the same.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts