Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most common errors in comparing SKS's to lets say a Hi-Point carbine is one is rifle and the other a carbine firing a pistol cartridge.
7.62x39 is not 9x19 or vice versa. Take the Kel-Tec carbine if is half the weight of the SKS and uses detachable capacity magazines. The one I have uses Berretta 92/99 magazines a couple of which I have are after market 30 rounders. In heavy wooded or close urban situation 100 yards or less I have an advantage of a quicker and less frequent reloading, a shorter lighter easier to handle firearm.
When one compares the SKS consider comparing it to a M1A1. Way less range and a slower to reload fixed box magazine. Plus they weight nearly the same in some versions.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
There is some truth to what you say (Although I'd compare the SKS to the AR or AK... intermediate rounds vs the M1A's full powered round)

BUt when you can only carry one rifle COMFORTABLY...

Make it count.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
talking about the Kel-Tec carbine wonder how it would stack up against the Marlin Camp 9 ? (All ways wanted the Marlin Camp 45 but could not find one at a good price).

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
. Way less range and a slower to reload fixed box magazine. Plus they weight nearly the same in some versions.
Are you saying the 9x19 has more range than a 7.62x39?????

Plus i have 20 round mags for my SKS that are just as reliable as the fixed Mag.

·
free man
626 Posts

Plus i have 20 round mags for my SKS that are just as reliable as the fixed Mag.
No. I think he was saying this..

"When one compares the SKS consider comparing it to a M1A1. Way less range and a slower to reload fixed box magazine. Plus they weight nearly the same in some versions".

Regarding carrying a larger rifle.. Back in the mid 80s I humped my tri handguard/fixed stock 20" SP1 AR15 for 2 weeks thru the woods in Frank Campers Merc school(Domolite Al.). Not a heavy large weapon by any means, but soon it got very cumbersome at times. Soon after I built up a new CAR15 and carried that for 2 more weeks the next year in the same school. What a difference that made. That made me a believer.

That reminds me.. Once during the first 2 week course, I had to hump a replica RPG7 for 24 hours(it was my turn :() w/o sleep no less, and it was a cold rain that night(that was a long cold night since it was early March). Now THAT was a pita. I was GLAD to get my 20" AR back the next day.

Just some mindless musings I guess.

·
Registered
265 Posts
One of the most common errors in comparing SKS's to lets say a Hi-Point carbine is one is rifle and the other a carbine firing a pistol cartridge.
7.62x39 is not 9x19 or vice versa. Take the Kel-Tec carbine if is half the weight of the SKS and uses detachable capacity magazines. The one I have uses Berretta 92/99 magazines a couple of which I have are after market 30 rounders. In heavy wooded or close urban situation 100 yards or less I have an advantage of a quicker and less frequent reloading, a shorter lighter easier to handle firearm.
When one compares the SKS consider comparing it to a M1A1. Way less range and a slower to reload fixed box magazine. Plus they weight nearly the same in some versions.
I know what you mean, but the SKS is a carbine by it's name. SKS stands for Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sistemi Simonova Obrazets 1945", which means Simonov's self-loading carbine system model 1945 or SKS-45 for short.

I was looking at the 2 other carbines you posted and was going to get one of them. Because of their shorter length and lighter weight, they would be perfect for maneuvering indoors and other close quarters. You obviously wouldn't use the Hi-point for hunting at 100 yards plus, but that's not what it was designed for. Just like there are different hammers and you don't want to drive nails with a sledge hammer, a carbine is a tool and for certain jobs it works better than others.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Another apples to oranges. Your stock SKS had to be modified to accept 20 round detachable magazines. Yes! there are exceptions to the rules. This is part of what I am talking about.
Compare Stock to stock like to like.
Comparing the combat use of a Ruger 10/22 with extended capacity magazines and a flash supressor to a Wasp 10. Sort of getting way out there.
Comparing a Kel-Tec Sub2000 to a Berretta Storm is more in the relm of reality. Say compare a SKS to a SAR-1. The my Chi-Com SKS have proven to be more accurate that SAR-1's I have owned.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I know what you mean, but the SKS is a carbine by it's name. SKS stands for Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sistemi Simonova Obrazets 1945", which means Simonov's self-loading carbine system model 1945 or SKS-45 for short.

I was looking at the 2 other carbines you posted and was going to get one of them. Because of their shorter length and lighter weight, they would be perfect for maneuvering indoors and other close quarters. You obviously wouldn't use the Hi-point for hunting at 100 yards plus, but that's not what it was designed for. Just like there are different hammers and you don't want to drive nails with a sledge hammer, a carbine is a tool and for certain jobs it works better than others.
calling something a carbine doesn't make it one. I don't care if it is in the name, an SKS is not a carbine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
calling something a carbine doesn't make it one. I don't care if it is in the name, an SKS is not a carbine.
Tell that to the guy who invented it. Actually the SKS is known as the SKS carbine. Even though today we may consider a carbine to be a rifle that shoots a pistol caliber, a carbine was originally a rifle with a shorter barrel than a standard rifle.

From the NRA:
CARBINE
A rifle with a relatively short barrel.
It's really no big deal to me, I just thought I would point it out.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
talking about the Kel-Tec carbine wonder how it would stack up against the Marlin Camp 9 ? (All ways wanted the Marlin Camp 45 but could not find one at a good price).
I agree...I have wanted a camp 10 for quite some time, can't find one locally...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Kel-Tec can be gotten am a wider verity of pistol mag choices that the Marlin. I have a Kel-Tec and have handled a couple of Marlins . The plastic on the Kel-Tec is more substancial than the Marlin in my opinion. Both are good firearms but the Kel-Tec with its folding design is and my version uses the same mags as my Berretta 92.

·
Registered
559 Posts
No. I think he was saying this..

"When one compares the SKS consider comparing it to a M1A1. Way less range and a slower to reload fixed box magazine. Plus they weight nearly the same in some versions".

Regarding carrying a larger rifle.. Back in the mid 80s I humped my tri handguard/fixed stock 20" SP1 AR15 for 2 weeks thru the woods in Frank Campers Merc school(Domolite Al.). Not a heavy large weapon by any means, but soon it got very cumbersome at times. Soon after I built up a new CAR15 and carried that for 2 more weeks the next year in the same school. What a difference that made. That made me a believer.

That reminds me.. Once during the first 2 week course, I had to hump a replica RPG7 for 24 hours(it was my turn :() w/o sleep no less, and it was a cold rain that night(that was a long cold night since it was early March). Now THAT was a pita. I was GLAD to get my 20" AR back the next day.

Just some mindless musings I guess.
You are the first person I have heard comment on having been through Frank Campers School. What was your impression of them? I have heards mixed reviews over the years in various magazines concerning his training.

Hijack Over

·
free man
626 Posts
You are the first person I have heard comment on having been through Frank Campers School. What was your impression of them? I have heards mixed reviews over the years in various magazines concerning his training.

Hijack Over
I thought it fairly useful, especially for the cost($500 including about 1k rds total of various ammo) and only 2 weeks(longest 2 weeks of my life tho). Just don't get caught sleeping on watch(all those pics on the net with some guy w his underwear over his head and almost naked otherwise).

Did it in March 84, and again June 85 when 60 Minutes was there(its free if you finished the course yrs prior. just no ammo allowance for the most part). First week was the main stuff. During the day we trained in hand to hand, bayonet(polgul->sp? sticks) and knife fighting, homemade demolitions, patrolling techniques, compass use/land nav, escape and evasion, rappelling, camo use(they loved OD), supressors(shot over our heads down range using my AR since I had the right rifle for the sonics supprs) etc. Also shot and learned to service automatic weapons each afternoon, broken up into classes of weapons(AK, ARs, Sten, Sterling, MP5, M60, Uzi, Mac 10/11, and prolly a couple others I can't remember. Also FAL and FNC, Garand, G3, M1A. Each night afterward, we were out/up all night patrolling(broke up into 3 teams of about 12 each). Had to do watch shifts the last couple hours for badly needed sleep. They used CS tear gas as weapons when patrolling, which I thought was sorta strange(at the time I was big into paintball, and thought that wouldv'e been better). We were all lined up onve to experience a face shot of CS gas too. Um fun.

Seemed there was several cops there. Just wanting some bush training.

2nd week was mostly a long E & E deal.

Learned to love my poncho/liner. Glad to have it, since it rained multi days in March and added warmth otherwise.

Spent lots of time in the deeper swampy/riverish areas. Exactly like your avatar(used to see that pic in Soldier of Fortune back then, being an HK add). Always remember being wet and cold all the time.

About 5-6 instructors, all of questional origin :rolleyes:. I remember one was from S Africa being the main hand to hand expert.

We had an invitational reunion in 91. Mostly instructors and lil ol me :D:. Still have a custom engraved knife from that. Had gotten to know the core instructors(all ex mil in Recon, SOG, etc) after the first time thru the school. A few lived in rural west Ga close by and had a couple buds that were in Special Forces, also close by w a remote shooting range. They'd have several automatic weapons there and tons of ammo with a "play house" made for tactics training. Also an outside course with 25 silhouettes placed over about 200yrds. Good times.

Back then I lived next door to Sonics(Mitch Warbell) in Ga., but they were more into ex security protection for the most part.

hijack off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts