Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time of the year again. One of the things that has always signified fall to me is the smell of apples. Living in central Pennsylvania, orchards are very prevalent. Most every year as a child, my family and I would go to a orchard, and pick our own apples. Usually we have some sort of connection that allows us to go into the orchard after the initial picking, and collect whatever is left. There is a surprising number of apples left on the tress after the harvest.

This year we got Golden Delicious, and a ton at that. Pictured is about 1/4 of our total haul for about 2 hours of picking. Now, my dilemma. In past years, our apples were used for making applesauce, and for fresh eating. As a prepper, I now want to find ways to preserve them for the long haul without freezing. Last night I tried pressure canning some sliced pieces, with disastrous results. The first batch leaked goo out underneath the lids, and while they sealed, they look like total mush. The second try, I lowered my headspace and cold packed 2 quarts. One sealed but looks nasty, and one blew to lid completely off spattering apple goo everywhere. I currently don't own a water bath canner, but could borrow one if need be.

What are your methods? Recipes?

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
How about canning them? Our old time recipe is:
ratio 4 cups of apples to 1 cup of sugar.
Layer them in a large container. Cover and let stand over night.
Next day, sterilize your jars, pack the apples tightly in the jar, fill with juice, leaving 1/2" headspace, put on lid.
Place in a cold packer(using the wire basket) that has boiling water in it. The water will probably quit boiling. Leave the jars in until the water has actually boiled for one minute.
Remove the jars to a cooling area. Sometimes the juice does boil out so you may have to rinse the jars after they have cooled.
Our family has used this recipe for years and it works great! Best of luck in your venture.

·
What, me worry?
2,621 Posts
My pressure canner is my water bath canner, I just do not put the pressure regulator on it or completely seal the lid.

Canning Golden or Red Delicious apples seems like it may not work out too well. I think they a little too soft to can them as slices. However, you may be able to make apple sauce.

I think Gala, Brayburn and Granny Smith (with a fair bit of sugar) may can better.

http://www.pickyourown.org/apples.htm

I have had some good luck dehydrating the Golden and Red Delicious variety.

Reactions: dealfinder500

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
See my two threads for ideas for canning them..

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=319499
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=319080

The easiest to me was using the steam juicer and making apple juice and applesauce, because it was ready to can as is.

I think apples are too soft for pressure canning. But take the lid of and you have a waterbath canner.

I've spent yesterday and today canning and I've done applesauce, apple juice, apple pie filling, apple slices in syrup, and apple butter. All very easy to do!

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to water bath, it's just any old pot with a rack on the bottom! Even your pressure canner with the lid off would work.
That was one of those thump the forehead moments on my part. I was discussing it today with someone, and got smacked by Captain Obvious. I plan to give it a go tomorrow.

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about canning them? Our old time recipe is:
ratio 4 cups of apples to 1 cup of sugar.
Layer them in a large container. Cover and let stand over night.
Next day, sterilize your jars, pack the apples tightly in the jar, fill with juice, leaving 1/2" headspace, put on lid.
Place in a cold packer(using the wire basket) that has boiling water in it. The water will probably quit boiling. Leave the jars in until the water has actually boiled for one minute.
Remove the jars to a cooling area. Sometimes the juice does boil out so you may have to rinse the jars after they have cooled.
Our family has used this recipe for years and it works great! Best of luck in your venture.
So you just let them soak in the water/sugar mixture and fill the jars cold? Then boil for only one minute? That sounds like a great method, if it works. My biggest concern is overcooking. As others have noted, Yellow Delicious tend to be soft and get mushy quickly.

I'm hoping to dehydrate some, but can't find a dehydrator anywhere! Wal-Mart is sold out and Target doesn't carry them. I don't really want to wait for a internet purchase.

Applesauce is also on the agenda. I need to schedule a day to hang out with mama so she can coach me, and she has the proper gizmos.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
Dehydrate some.
Can some Apple Pie Filling
If you make applesauce out of the Golden Delicious, try adding 20% Granny Smiths to make it tart
Crush some into apple juice.
Lots of ways to preserve your harvest.

·
Registered
997 Posts
if you cant find a dehydrator and don't want to wait for an online order, look at using your oven. would have to research to see if it will go low enough but use a slicer/peeler/corer - i don't peel my dehydrated chips - and place them on a cookie sheet. dehydrator trays are a breathable mesh to get the liquid out of the area so you may have to look for a mesh screening or baking paper type material to get them off the pan directly.

maybe a warm setting, or 140-150 if your oven will register that low for around 8 hours gets mine crispy.

·
Daughter OfThe Revolution
31,850 Posts
Dehydrate some.
Can some Apple Pie Filling
If you make applesauce out of the Golden Delicious, try adding 20% Granny Smiths to make it tart
Crush some into apple juice.
Lots of ways to preserve your harvest.
Last year I canned Apple Pie Filling and only got to make a couple pies. My sons ate in right out of the jar. Made apple sauce too. :cool:

Very nummy. :cool:

·
Registered
650 Posts
So you just let them soak in the water/sugar mixture and fill the jars cold? Then boil for only one minute? That sounds like a great method, if it works. My biggest concern is overcooking. As others have noted, Yellow Delicious tend to be soft and get mushy quickly.

I'm hoping to dehydrate some, but can't find a dehydrator anywhere! Wal-Mart is sold out and Target doesn't carry them. I don't really want to wait for a internet purchase.

Applesauce is also on the agenda. I need to schedule a day to hang out with mama so she can coach me, and she has the proper gizmos.
Yes on the one minute boil. While the water will be boiling, it will cool down. You need to leave them in the water until the water is boiling again, then the one minute starts.
Yellow delicious work great with this recipe. Matter of fact, I will pick up my first bushel tomorrow.

·
The sun will rise
1,679 Posts
Use a food dryer! Slice them to fit in a food dryer, arrange them tightly on the trays, and turn it on. Since I started keeping bees, I have drizzled a little honey on the slices before drying and sprinkle cinnamon on some as well.

I do have plans to build a solar dryer this winter adding a small photovoltaic panel with a fan to regulate the temperature. We'll see how that works out!

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Since you are new to canning, I would suggest doing some reading first.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html
This is free, and you really should read the Principles of Home Canning first. Then there's a whole section of fruit with several recipes for apples.

Also remember, there's a lot of bad info out there.

I posted a link a while ago about a man who nearly died because he took shortcuts canning his meat.

Follow the instructions in a canning book, and you'll be fine. And never take shortcuts with the processing time.

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since you are new to canning, I would suggest doing some reading first.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html
This is free, and you really should read the Principles of Home Canning first. Then there's a whole section of fruit with several recipes for apples.

Also remember, there's a lot of bad info out there.

I posted a link a while ago about a man who nearly died because he took shortcuts canning his meat.

Follow the instructions in a canning book, and you'll be fine. And never take shortcuts with the processing time.[/Q

I'm not really new to canning, I've actually been at it about 18 months, I've just never canned fruit or used the water bath method.

I GOT THE DEHYDRATOR! I had a hunch, and stopped back by Wal-Mart after church yesterday, and there they were. They must be selling fast, as they stocked a half pallet and there were only 3-4 left in 24 hours. I've tried 2 recipes so far. First, just plain slices, and the second, slices rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Give you one guess which one the kids are demanding more of. They are really delicious. I've never had homemade dried apples, and man are they better then store-bought.

I actually got a pie filling recipe from my mother, and gave it 2 runs so far. The first batch came out awesome. On the second one, I somehow ended up with not enough goo, and substituted with some water and sugar. Obviously they are a bit runnier. I also got distracted tucking the kids in and left them boil almost 30 minutes instead of 15. The end result is a runnier, mushier mix than desired. I popped one open and was surprised that it was still very much edible, even enjoyable. I plan to save them unless I run short of jars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you make apple pies you might try freezing some. I have used the following with great success:

--Line piepans with plastic wrap, letting enough drape over the sides to completely wrap the apples.

--Fill the lined pans with peeled, cored and sliced apples.
--Wrap and freeze. Do NOT add any sugar or seasonings at this time.
--When apples are frozen, lift from the pans, wrap and stack in freezer.
--Slices will not turn brown when frozen this way.

--When ready to use: Place frozen apples in unbaked pie shell. (be sure to unwrap first)
--Top with: 1 tablespoon flour - 2/3 cup sugar (depending on tartness) - 1/4 teas. cinnamon (above 3 items mixed and sprinkled evenly over frozen apples)
Dot with 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces). Sprinkle 1 tablespoon lemon juice (omit if apples are very tart).
--Top with another crust, make slits and bake.

Place on cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 50 mins.

*Pie can be placed into brown paper bag and fold end under pie and place on cookie sheet.

In a paper bag the rim will not scorch, no under-baked apples and no boiling over.

And you can adjust spices to your taste.

Having prepared apples and pie shells in the freezer makes a quick pie.

·
IT'S A MADHOUSE!
1,191 Posts
We had a bumper crop in Michigan this year, apple vinegar and hard cider may be in order along with Apple leather. This on top of the normal pies, cake, jams, and other recipes mentioned above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts