Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to search for emerging musical talent, especially artists who perform what can be collectively called Appalachian music encompassing mountain music and Bluegrass. Let's see what's out there...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The soundtrack to "Oh brother, where art thou" was splendid. Banjos, fiddles, mandolin, dobro and the high lonesome sound. A Capella, too. Check out album titled "Down From The Mountain."

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
While certainly not emerging musicians, you should look at The Transatlantic Sessions videos on You Tube. I believe the project was the brainchild of Jerry Douglass and Aly Bain. The recordings bring together artists from both sides of the Atlantic to explore the roots and shoots of Celtic music. Good stuff there..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys and gals. I will certainly give the Transatlantic Sessions a listen.
I love the The Legendary Marshall Family singing. "Thank You, Lord" is a classic.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Google 'Garms Family', cousins of mine. Very emerging, very musical, very talented. Southern Gospel, Bluegrass, toured Upper Midwest and Deep South last several years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a blast from the past. Wynonna Judd, an 18 year old girl from Eastern Kentucky. She burst onto the music scene from obscurity in 1984 singing alongside her mother. The first time I heard this unknown artist, I was on lunch break at my mining job, listening to WSGS out of Hazard. With the first chords and lyrics reaching my ears, I knew I had never heard such raw vocal power. https://youtu.be/fXV1Q_AcerM

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ola Belle Reed? I don't know that name, but I will take a look and listen.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts