Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to bounce this off some folks here as I seek input as to pro's and con's of a thought I have. I'm an apartment dweller and have a desire to get away from my traditional route of water storage thus far which has been bottled water and 2-liter bottles. Bottled water is so costly compared to tap water and I simply don't drink soda much so 2-liters are harder to come by.

My apartment is part of an 8 unit building with a common entry area that is locked. There is a shared basement which is also locked and within the basement is your typical chicken wire cage 2x4 framed storage unit for each apartment unit. I am considering boarding mine off with plywood all around the front and one exposed side of the unit (the rear and other side mate with the foundation of the building so it's already concealed). Two other storage units have been boarded off so I wouldn't be the only one like this and attract much extra attention. I'd also beef up the hinges and locking mechanism to make it harder to get into as right now a philips screwdriver does the trick. That covers securing the storage unit the best I can.

From there, I was toying with the thought of one or two 55 gallon water barrels or perhaps a 275 gallon tote. There are sinks in the basement I could use to fill them with. I have a laundry chute that exits directly outside my storage unit and leads up to my apartment that I could use to run hose to pump water out of the containers. Then I could go with a manual pump or an electric one that could run from battery too and access the water from inside my apartment. I would probably stack other preps inside of plastic totes around the water barrel(s) or tote to help conceal them and expand my storage capabilities at the same time. I don't think anybody would grow too suspicious of anything, the main thing I could see is being stealthy initially setting up the water storage and filling it but once it's setup I don't think I would have much in the way of prying eyes. I have a video camera trained on my storage unit already that films on motion after I had a theft issue with a past problem tenant so if anybody did grow curious and snoop I would at least know about it.

Thoughts? Bad idea... good idea?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hmm if it were me my concern would be being able to defend it or would I draw attention to myself going back and forth bringing water and/or food back to my apartment.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I think you have really thought this out well. Others may have other comments but it sounds like a super idea, although I would still keep some water in my apartment if I were you in case, for some reason, you were unable to get down to the water in the basement to hook up that 'up the chute' pumping system in an emergency.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm if it were me my concern would be being able to defend it or would I draw attention to myself going back and forth bringing water and/or food back to my apartment.
Yep, that's a concern - especially if I went the route of more bottled water down there. That's why I was toying with the idea of running a hose through my laundry chute from my apartment unit down to the basement and into a 55 gallon container of water. Then I can pump the water without leaving my apartment.

This is somewhat of a secondary option for me in case I absolutely have nowhere else to go and have to make an attempt to bug in at my apartment. My uncle has a good amount of land and a cabin with a couple outbuildings that me and him have been working on getting self sufficient. The problem is his health is deteriorating and he may not be with us much longer. The other members of the family were somewhat onboard with prepping but the uncle was really the key figure and as of now it's completely unknown what may or will end up happening with his land (owned by him and his wife) if he were to pass away. Because of that unknown, I'm trying to work in a backup option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you have really thought this out well. Others may have other comments but it sounds like a super idea, although I would still keep some water in my apartment if I were you in case, for some reason, you were unable to get down to the water in the basement to hook up that 'up the chute' pumping system in an emergency.
A great idea, I would keep the existing bottled water and dozen or so 2-liters I have already filled inside the apartment. It's not the best thing I'd like to do - be bugging in at my apartment in whatever scenario might unfold that has me relying on stored water to survive, but if I can't bug out it would be better than nothing I suppose.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Do you plan to treat the water once you pump it up to your apartment? What method?

I think this sounds like a pretty good idea. However, we will never really know what will happen once the SHTF. It's a crap shoot. You may be better off getting the flock out of dodge! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you plan to treat the water once you pump it up to your apartment? What method?

I think this sounds like a pretty good idea. However, we will never really know what will happen once the SHTF. It's a crap shoot. You may be better off getting the flock out of dodge! ;)
I have bleach, purification tablets, and filters already so that part is covered.

Believe me, I'd really love to bail out. Unfortunately if the situation with my uncle and his land doesn't end up working out then I may have to treat my apartment as my only place to go and assume I'd bug in if something happened until I can figure out alternate plans for bugging out. I'm still going to try to work out a secondary bug out option even if the uncle's land ends up being a go though. The potential of it not being an option was enough to get me thinking of another option because I do live in a suburban area outside of a metropolitan area and as a result a high potential for zombie activity.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Sounds like you have things well thought out.

I have a brother with a couple of cottages on Lake Sinnissippi. If I was in your area, that's where I'd head.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan to me but I would still consider smaller containers so that you can quickly take them up to your apartment if you need to and I'd keep an eye out for some lockable storage you can put your preps into without drawing any real attention.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
No matter what kind of neighbors you have and your current relationship(s) you have with them ....... EVERYTHING will change even in a minor SHTF situation .......

Tapping into the barrels and pumping it to your apartment is out ...... in fact a huge mistake ....... your apartment would be targeted immmediately for possible other preps & supplies ......

Keep as much H20 in your apartment as possible and more portables in the storage unit ...... plan on adding last minute to a Water Bob type unit ........ barrels in the storage unit only as a back up and only if OPSEC can be kept .......

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
http://www.supertankers.ca/

FROM THE WEBSITE:
- Engineered with seamless construction to safely handle up to 2500 lbs. of water for long term storage in a gravity fed system.
- FDA and HPB approved foodgrade polyethylene.
- Slim design to fit through any doorway in your home.
- Available in 250 gal. (28"x36"x81") or 125 gal. (28"x36"x44") sizes.
- Our unique design minimizes valuable floor space and maximizes essential water storage volume in a vertical cylinder.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,534 Posts
It's not an optimal setup, but sometimes you have to work within your limits. The worry I see would be the laundry chute outside your storage unit. If the hose is visible, you can bet that thirsty people are going to become very curious about it quickly.

Maybe having enough water supply in your apartment would allow you time for those people to move on (or die off...*shudder*) before you set up the hose.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
Could you possibly be in a position to buy part of the land from your uncle?

Are you on the bottom floor of the apartment building? If so, you may be able to store some 55 gallon barrels in your apartment. Just a thought.

Suzanne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts