Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought we might be able to add some info on this survival option which may have unique solutions to Aus and NZ members.
All suggestions, experiences and comments welcome.

Pic # 1 Trailer mounted 3.5 Kva 240 volt Vac, air cooled, electric/pull start diesel generator. The 5 watt solar panel is to keep the start battery charged.
The metal cover is to keep generator dry when not in use and, protect it from road debri.
Pic # 2 A closer view, front panel - 2 x 240 volt 10 amp GPO, safety breaker, meter, and 12 volt DC charger for additional batteries.
Pic # 3 I modified the exhaust to point towards the ground, better sound proofing and exhaust fume dispersion. Also stops water/condensation problems in the exhaust system.
Pic # 4 Trailer mounted 5 KVA 240 Vac, air cooled, pull start petrol generator with canvas cover to protect from weather and road debri.
Pic # 5 A closer view of this generator, two x 10 amp GPO, which is nearly 10 years old and hasn't failed once.

Both trailers were extensively modified with longer and stronger draw bar, heavier suspension and bearings which makes them more stable on the road/bush and, easier to reverse.
Used ford 14 inch rims with light truck tyres, plenty of clearance for cross country where I am.
Both generators have been used at our BOL for the electric bore, light welding equipment/power tools, and refrigeration at home during extended blackouts. (BOL is totally off the grid)
A good mobile power source which have proved themselves time and again,
not a long term solution, but better than nothing.

Attachments

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Nice work Dragon. I have a similar setup integrated into my motorhome. Thanks for the pics and explanation. :thumb:

·
Registered
76 Posts
We live on well and septic. I want to get a generator to be able to get water from the well in a power down situation. Should I get diesel or gas powered generator? Are there solar batteries that will run the well pump?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got an old ford tractor engine that my grandad worked into a generator back in the 50's , it been in use ever since then an when it was passed onto me I just had to do some minor maintanance and it still runs like a charm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
gels you might consider getting an old fashioned windmill , these have been used for years to pump well water and they dont need fuel.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
gels1,
There are a few things to consider. The depth of the well, the type and soil composition.
The flow rate of the well and your required flow rate.
For instance, my bore/well is down 120 ft in very sandy soil with a lot of quartz with a flow rate of about 400 galls per hour. Determines pump specs including impeller types.
Good for domestic use, not high volume irrigation.
I use an 240 volt AC electric pump because it is the most efficient for this type of bore, the pump is actually at the bottom of the bore and, has to pump 200 meters up a slope to a holding tank.
A solar set up for this bore was not suitable, and being in an isolated area was subject to theft, particularly the solar equipment.
We have what we call fire fighter petrol pumps that are fitted to the top of some bores, but are very inefficient on fuel and flow rate in some situations such as mine.
Petrol doesn't store as well as diesel, and the ignition systems (plugs, leads, magnetos) on a petrol engine can be problematic in a harsh enviroment.
I decided to use a diesel generator because my vehicles use the same fuel, so only need to carry one type of extra fuel and are much quieter than the petrol type. The diesel gen set uses about 1 litre per hour depending on load.
However the diesel gen capacity needs carefull consideration too. They are most efficient under load, about 50%, low load or no load can cause the cylinder bore to glaze up increasing oil and fuel consumption.
If you are in a cold climate, a fuel preheater is necessary, and, fuel lines and tank must be prevented from freezing.
Diesel turns to a gel when frozen, so all of the fuel system must be cleaned out.
The trailer mounted one I have is a bit harder to start on cold frosty mornings as it does not have a fuel preheater, however the 5 KVA diesel gen set in my shed does have one which will help with bio diesel type fuels.

Couldn't use a wind mill, because the bore is located at the bottom of a hill in thick bush, high trees.
Not much wind there at all.

Reactions: farmerswife

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Great thread, I will have to show farmer at lunch time.we are currently scaling down our power usage,and know we can survive without a washing machine, fridge, hairdryer etc,..but electric fencing for stock,our big freezer,and pumping water will be our main issues.The theft of solar systems is very high here to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts