Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAVE SEEN the ads in Pop Sci or Pop Mechanics for years and years. The company is still in business so they must be doing something right.

I am looking to get a bucket backhoe tractor. For the price of a good used one Struck is showing new tracked loader backhoe units.
I know they can't do the same grunt work as the bigger units but since I am retired and have to time to beaver away at things so long as it works, it should be OK.

Just curious to see what anyone has to pass on.

·
Semper Fi
8,958 Posts
Just took a look and from what I remember when we were considering buying a tractor (w/loader and backhoe), you will get MUCH more for your money going tractor over the Struck.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,804 Posts
I retired six yrs ago. I needed a field tractor for baling hay, I needed something to dig and move dirt, and I also needed a backhoe to dig trenches. I did not have the cash to buy three pieces of equipment.

I priced several low profile 4wd field tractors with the biggest, heaviest backhoe that could be mounted directly to the rear axel. I bought a Mahindra 6530.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I retired six yrs ago. I needed a field tractor for baling hay, I needed something to dig and move dirt, and I also needed a backhoe to dig trenches. I did not have the cash to buy three pieces of equipment.

I priced several low profile 4wd field tractors with the biggest, heaviest backhoe that could be mounted directly to the rear axel. I bought a Mahindra 6530.
How is that Mahindra fuel wise? I need another tractor to do about the same things you're doing. Desire the backhoe also.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,804 Posts
How is that Mahindra fuel wise? I need another tractor to do about the same things you're doing. Desire the backhoe also.
I use the Mahindra mostly for digging a trench, or moving fill. I can work many hours on a 5 gal jerry can.
When I start using it for brush hogging or baling hay, but right now Im burning about 1 gal/hr.

Mahindra was forced to add a pee tank (DEF) and my tractor is equipted for that, but I have never bothered to fill it.
The engine is easy to start, lots of tourque, and reminds my of a 1970 era Allis or IH.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Mahindra was forced to add a pee tank (DEF) and my tractor is equiped for that, but I have never bothered to fill it.
Unless the ag DPF systems are totally different than in trucks, that is likely going to bite you in the rear. DEF isn't expensive or hard to find, even if it is an idiotic envirowacko PITA.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Unless the ag DPF systems are totally different than in trucks, that is likely going to bite you in the rear. DEF isn't expensive or hard to find, even if it is an idiotic envirowacko PITA.
For sure! You run a big truck dry on DEF and you start getting into big money with the DFF system, we had one "experienced" drivers fill the DEF tank with D2 and that ended up being a $4000. repair, at least he didn't put DEF in the fuel that would've been real big bucks!
Anyway, Hick please check with the dealer/manufacture just to make sure your ok with out the DEF.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,804 Posts
For sure! You run a big truck dry on DEF and you start getting into big money with the DFF system, we had one "experienced" drivers fill the DEF tank with D2 and that ended up being a $4000. repair, at least he didn't put DEF in the fuel that would've been real big bucks!
Anyway, Hick please check with the dealer/manufacture just to make sure your ok with out the DEF.
After reviewing my Mahidra manual, my prior post about needing DEF was not correct.

I bought my tractor in 2015 and it is not equipted with a DFF or use DEF fluid.
Their exaust management system includes an EGR valve however.

Newly manufactured Mahindras do use DEF, but they dont have a DFF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts