Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
13,737 Posts
I'm still learning how to use it as I have no team. There is also a server system that I have downloaded Called ZeroTier ( Download – ZeroTier) That allows you to securely connect remote devices. But again, I have no team to connect to.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use ATAK here and there for general navigation. Definitely a great tool to have on hand and I'm planning on putting it onto a larger tablet in my truck for overlanding navigation. But I work in rural areas that have little to no cell service and It makes downloading massive areas of SAT imagery with good resolution easy for offline use when I'm trying to get to a site that I'm unfamiliar with. I have a few counties worth of map downloaded now, but I'll probably add more at some point. If I'm not mistaken, this was the software that replaced the ruggedized tablet that we used for area fire weapon systems and CAS when I was in the Marine Corps, or something very similar. So it's got a lot of capability. I also know that some people figured out how to link a Baofeng radio to it to track teammate movement and send digital comms back and forth. The tutorial is out there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still learning how to use it as I have no team. There is also a server system that I have downloaded Called ZeroTier ( Download – ZeroTier) That allows you to securely connect remote devices. But again, I have no team to connect to.
ill have to check that out...thanks but you can leverage many of ATAK strengths without a team. its great to compile and store geo data for your surrounding area also..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use ATAK here and there for general navigation. Definitely a great tool to have on hand and I'm planning on putting it onto a larger tablet in my truck for overlanding navigation. But I work in rural areas that have little to no cell service and It makes downloading massive areas of SAT imagery with good resolution easy for offline use when I'm trying to get to a site that I'm unfamiliar with. I have a few counties worth of map downloaded now, but I'll probably add more at some point. If I'm not mistaken, this was the software that replaced the ruggedized tablet that we used for area fire weapon systems and CAS when I was in the Marine Corps, or something very similar. So it's got a lot of capability. I also know that some people figured out how to link a Baofeng radio to it to track teammate movement and send digital comms back and forth. The tutorial is out there somewhere.
yep the plugin for digi modem is called hammer

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not for nothing, but how are you planning on using satnav based systems in grid down?
you can download maps and use them offline. there is also a modem and plugin for radio to radio use.. everyone wants to exclude tech because of the grid down boogey man often without exploring the possibilities. Tech is a force multiplier. THIS tech has some pretty amazing capabilities even if their is a grid down situation

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there are a LARGE number of varying maps available for download from different sources as well as plugins that enhance usability. Here is a good primer video done by S2 Underground, other great videos on usage at his channel. His video on building interior building maps is very useful in my opinion... YMMV

S2 Undeground ATAK / WinTak video

·
Registered
264 Posts
Its just another tool in the inventory. I think it has great potential for team patriot / survivalist.
Thank you. I spent a lot of time using blue force tracker in the Corps in Iraq and the stan, and when it worked it was great. A lot of things have changed in 15 years! I just have a hesitancy to further burden my loadout with electronics, particularly ones that by design have the ability to I&I with others using the same kit that I don't necessarily want to know I'm there. I watched that vid. Definitely nice, but its just like you said, its another tool in the box-not something I'd hang my hat on though.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just have a hesitancy to further burden my loadout with electronics, particularly ones that by design have the ability to I&I with others using the same kit that I don't necessarily want to know I'm there. I watched that vid. Definitely nice, but its just like you said, its another tool in the box-not something I'd hang my hat on though.
A valid concern FOR SURE and one that I considered as well. Its why I would NOT use it active and would only download maps for offline use. Nor would I use the team tracker function. In the mad max wet dream survivalist world you could use ATAK /Win to do "mission" planning and assign your waypoints, RV's etc then copy that data overlay onto the tablet of the person needing it in the field. Without tracking enabled the person could then use a digital mode on a handheld radio and the same tablet to send text brevity codes back for progress status etc.. Like I said prepper wet dream but the ability is there if someone needed it and was smart enough to recognize the downside to certain portions of the tech and take steps to mitigate it..

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
There are a lot of civilian/prepper/patriot/militia (non-"tactical") uses.

Post hurricane, before any kind of outside assistance shows up, you could have people out marking stuff like trees blocking roads and downed powerlines while the "command post" is keeping up with everything and everyone in real time. There are no adversaries to track the transmissions. Even armed and coordinated looters would be unlikely to track you, so there could still be outright tactical advantages from it's usage.

Using it actively would allow it to be an excellent training tool for navigation and communications training as well. For example, teams could use map and compass to navigate a course and use APRS to report their location at waypoints.

I plan on using it as a GIS program for hunting and fishing, as well as more prep-related mapping.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are a lot of civilian/prepper/patriot/militia (non-"tactical") uses.

Post hurricane, before any kind of outside assistance shows up, you could have people out marking stuff like trees blocking roads and downed powerlines while the "command post" is keeping up with everything and everyone in real time. There are no adversaries to track the transmissions. Even armed and coordinated looters would be unlikely to track you, so there could still be outright tactical advantages from it's usage.

Using it actively would allow it to be an excellent training tool for navigation and communications training as well. For example, teams could use map and compass to navigate a course and use APRS to report their location at waypoints.

I plan on using it as a GIS program for hunting and fishing, as well as more prep-related mapping.
100% it has tons of applications. I run it and will continue regardless of naysayers

1 - 20 of 51 Posts