Survivalist Forum banner

Anyone using a portable ground blind?

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Packitup 
#1 ·
Is anyone here using a portable ground blind? The ones that look like a pup tent. If so, what brand name and model is it? Do you like it? Hows it working out?

There is this spot on a creek bottom I really want to hunt. But I'am gonna have to use my climbing tree stand, or get one of those portable ground blinds.

#4 ·
Kev,

We (myself, 2 brothers and father) have used the Ameristep "Doghouse" pop-up blinds for 5 years, or so. They're very lightweight, easy to take down/set up and, depending on weather condition, make for a decent tent.

We've taken several deer from the (rifle and archery), and even a few turkeys, with no detection from them.

I'l say that my experience with them has been 100% positive and would wholeheartedly recommend this type of blind. We have used other brands with the same great results, but I prefer the Realtree HD camo pattern on the Ameristep.

#7 ·
I am going with the Ameristep too. Got a two-man chair blind in a Realtree hardwood pattern. It has some nice features like steel construction, front and side zippered camo mesh windows with silent magnetic closures, and a folding design to fit in a shoulder strap carry case.

#8 · (Edited)

I just picked one of these up today. Hunter's Specialties. Seems enough for ground hunting deer. You can configure it in many ways. Looks like it will work great on a field's edge,near trees and brush. Deer probably aren't going to coming from behind if your hunting into the wind anyway. Very good construction and low cost -$16. Three Realtree patterns of camo available too. I'll let you know how I do next month.

This folds up into a nice small size. Can fit into your pack or hunting vest easily. VERY light too.

#9 ·
I got one of the little hoop style pop up blinds from Cabelas three years ago, have used it with success in the North Texas area. It is large enough for 2 setting on bucket stools, and blends well with our terrain and vegetation. I primarily depend on it to conceal movement, but use it mostly in selected locations where brush or rocks at least partial obscure even the blind.

#10 ·
aside from my climber, i live in ground blinds. i have 2 ameristeps a g-10 and g-30. the g-10 is shaped kinda like a piramid and great for gun hunting(not enough room for bow). it fell over several times due to the wieght of the snow, but alwats snapped right back into shape once i cleaned it off. it's lasted me several seasons and was only about $60 on sale at dunhams.
the g-30 is a hub style blind, large enough to comfortably bow hunt out of. it is much sturdier than the former and has the shoot-through screens. it does leak in the rain, but the design directs the water down the sides instead of dripping on you.
i find that staying in a blind and out of the weather keeps me in the hunt longer. i've had better luck using them in, or just off of, open areas....not so much in hardwoods.

happy hunting

#12 ·
I have had 2 of the Ameristep blinds. They were pretty good, especially for what they cost. Right now I have a Primos (search for Primos Ground Max). It is the hub style and has more room than the Ameristep. Ameristep makes bigger ones now.

I like the hub style for bowhhunting because they have more room. The little Ameristep (sort of tee-pee style) that I had was great for gun hunting. It was WAY lighter to carry than the hub style.

For bow hunting I often prefer to just use available natural cover like a fallen tree top but the pop up blinds are great for hunting late season. The ones I had were all pretty water proof so you can hunt comfortably in rain, wind and snow.

Be aware that with most of the pop up blinds, if you leave it out and it comes a wet heavy snow it will collapse the blind. Probably not much of a worry for you in Texas though I guess. If you leave it up between hunts, tie it down or the wind will tear it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.