Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've live in a single-family home (upper midwest) for many years but have never once owned a generator...yes, brilliant, i know ! So i saw one at Costco yesterday (not on sale)for $800 called Champion Dual Fuel 9000/7000 (peak/running watts). It gets very good reviews from what i can tell but i also know that many of those 5-star reviews can be "biased", meaning written by people with an interest in selling a particular product. Anyway, this model does run on either gas or liquid propane, has electric start and some other nice features. Has anyone here used this one or heard anything about it , good or bad ? By the way i have seen other recent generator-related posts on this site where everyone recommends either Honda or Yamaha...i haven't yet even looked at those brands but i'm guessing that their equivalent models will probably cost at least 50% more than the Champion.

Thanx in advance for any advice/feedback !

·
I told you so!
2,707 Posts
We are building another cabin at the BOL for my son the last time he came over he brought the generator that you asked about, we have used it a week off and on for building, we used it in both modes, works great either way, no big loads yet and about 24
hrs run time, so far so good. JT

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have nothing to do with these guys but found them awhile back. In my opinion some really great deals. If I am not mistaken the genny you are referencing is 525 (need to verify shipping) yes a refurb but 90 day warranty. I would be ok with the bigger genny being a refurb versus the small ones.

http://www.supergenproducts.com/

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
i've live in a single-family home (upper midwest) for many years but have never once owned a generator...yes, brilliant, i know ! So i saw one at Costco yesterday (not on sale)for $800 called Champion Dual Fuel 9000/7000 (peak/running watts). It gets very good reviews from what i can tell but i also know that many of those 5-star reviews can be "biased", meaning written by people with an interest in selling a particular product. Anyway, this model does run on either gas or liquid propane, has electric start and some other nice features. Has anyone here used this one or heard anything about it , good or bad ? By the way i have seen other recent generator-related posts on this site where everyone recommends either Honda or Yamaha...i haven't yet even looked at those brands but i'm guessing that their equivalent models will probably cost at least 50% more than the Champion.

Thanx in advance for any advice/feedback !
The Honda and Yamaha generators so frequently recommended here are inverter generators. They more fuel efficient at low speeds than standard generators, the power they produce is 'cleaner' electrically speaking, and they are much, much quieter. The catch is that they are much more expensive than standard generators. A 2 kw Honda or Yamaha will run around $1,000. Larger models are available, but they can easily cost multiple thousands of dollars.

The model you are looking at is a standard generator that is already equipped to run from gasoline or propane. It's going to be loud, at least as loud as a regular lawnmower. Most of Champion's generators get solid reviews; I've heard very little negative feedback from actual users.

While a generator will have a longer lifespan if run on propane, this is more than offset in the higher costs of buying propane tanks unless you already have a large one. If you don't, then my advice is to not worry about it. Gasoline can be stored very safely for sufficiently long periods of time; a year is no problem. Also, rotating through gasoline to always have fresh gas on hand is easily done.

My question is why you are considering such a large generator. Large generators consume a lot of fuel even if you don't have a significant load on them. The least amount of power that standard generators can provide is usually 25% of their running watts, which is almost 2,000 watts in your case. If you aren't using all that power, you're just wasting fuel.

If you have a well and need to run the pump or need to run a large air conditioner (though a whole house AC might not be able to start from even that large of a generator), a generator that size would be justified. But if you just need enough power to run a refrigerator, TV, lights and such, a significantly smaller generator (like the 2 kw inverter generators) would fit the bill.

For lots of generator info, listen to the podcasts on generators that can be found at www.solar1234.com.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Champion generator

I have this same model and it runs great I bought mine on sale at costco for 600 out the door with tax. I have tested it with big loads with no problems I would recommend it to my friends.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently bought a custom converted Honda EU2000 inverter generator. Runs on gasoline or propane. Don't have a need for large running watts but did want something better for electronics and also very quiet. Is great on both accounts. hutchmountain.com does the conversion and it is sweet. Leaves the carburetor intact so that the warranty remains in effect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gen set

I've been an electrician for a decade and a half and I've used and installed a lot of different generators. I'm my humble opinion...... If your interested in a $900 9kw generator. Then you'd be much better off even spending about $200 more and buying a Generac standby generator with an automated transfer switch. This way you can powet your entire house with an air cooled LP or NG engine with up to a 15KW alternator. The included transfer switch is also a panel board that accepts Murray circuit breakers. They're actually fairly simple to install and will "exercise" themselves to ensure their always in ready to run condition. Go to your local big box hardware store like Home Depot where I've seen them on sale for as low as $1000. The best part of this type of system is that after just a few second of power loss, the generator automatically turns on and you've got your whole house powered. That is assuming your horse has a 125 amp or under electrical service. Or just pick a few essential circuits like the fridge and microwave and furnace and lights etc.......

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
What ever generator you get try and get the factory book for it. Have some spare parts like spark plugs, filters, fuses and oil. I would anti-seize compound treat the spark plugs and exhaust system.

A 7kW isn't a whole house unit but should work with basic needs. I would have a transfer switch to dedicated circuits wired into the house, much safer than extension cords. Hopefully is does 220/240 besides 120, for water heater or furnace elements or a well pump.

Propane stores forever, you will need to treat and rotate gasoline every few years. A direct bury propane tank is worth considering but I would have a few 100# tanks so I could go get fuel also.

When selecting the generator location consider the noise and fumes. Perhaps a sound baffled shed that provides plenty of cooling air and weather protection. Plus a concrete pad to secure it to.

A real bonus would be to capture the waste heat off the exhaust system for heating water - which could also be converted to space heating needs or regular hot water needs. 2/3 to 4/5 of the chemical energy in your fuel goes away as heat.

Run the new genny enough to break it in and then change the oil. Then run it several times a year for at least a half hour at a time with a load. Never let it run out of fuel under a load you care about - power surges when dying can fry stuff.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Total Junk

I have had a champion generator before and I will never own one again, they are JUNK!!!, mine blew the engine with less than a 100 hr's on the engine and Champion would not even respond back to me about it, so I will never buy their product ever again:mad:

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I've been an electrician for a decade and a half and I've used and installed a lot of different generators. I'm my humble opinion...... If your interested in a $900 9kw generator. Then you'd be much better off even spending about $200 more and buying a Generac standby generator with an automated transfer switch. This way you can powet your entire house with an air cooled LP or NG engine with up to a 15KW alternator. The included transfer switch is also a panel board that accepts Murray circuit breakers. They're actually fairly simple to install and will "exercise" themselves to ensure their always in ready to run condition. Go to your local big box hardware store like Home Depot where I've seen them on sale for as low as $1000. The best part of this type of system is that after just a few second of power loss, the generator automatically turns on and you've got your whole house powered. That is assuming your horse has a 125 amp or under electrical service. Or just pick a few essential circuits like the fridge and microwave and furnace and lights etc.......
I've looked extensively into whole house generators, and I think that the only real advantage they have over anything else is that they're automatic. For some people, that's a big plus. You can have a transfer switch installed that will operate with any generator that has 240 volt output; that's not unique to whole house generators.

But there are several catches to these units. For one, the expected lifespan of the engines that Generac uses, around 3,000 hours, works out to about only three months of continuous usage. That's not very long.

Second, they use a lot of fuel, partly because they run all the time. Continuous use of a generator in a disaster is, IMHO, a big waste of precious fuel. Granted, if you're running on natural gas, your fuel is unlimited but your next bill will be very high. With most situations, I find it to be much better to only run a generator two to four hours a day to cool down the refrigerator or chest freezer, recharge your deep cycle batteries, and run any high draw items needed.

Third, the biggest problem I have with these is that they are completely stationary. If you want to go somewhere else, your generator can't go with you.

But if you crave automatic power for disasters and don't mind paying lots of money for the unit, installation, and fuel, go for it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Willthrill81 there is another big draw back to standby generator and that is installation fees especially if you use propane. There is the cost of a permanent LP tank and piping. I talked to my electric company and it will cost from $400 to $600 to hook up to your electric meter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one

I have the champion dual fuel that the original poster asked about. I bought it at costco because of their amazing return policy, if this thing lasts me only 2 years and I return it for a full refund I cant complain. Bought it last november, used it maybe 15 hours over the winter. We got tons of snow but didint lose power very much. I am on a well so I need power for the pump. Cant complain, worked great. I backfeed with an interlock switch and it actually can power more of my house then I would have guessed. I only used propane with it so I cant speak for the gas function. I do have a question for anyone that has this model.....somehow I managed to knock the red battery wire loose and I cant figure out where it was connected. I am talking about where it connects to the generator, not the battery end. if anyone can take a look at their generator and send me a photo or let me know I would be very grateful. Thanks

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
Find the starter motor on the engine. It should have a big fat wire red wire like the one on the battery that goes to the solenoid ( a small box or canister looking thing), there will be a lot smaller wire or two from the starting switch also going to the solenoid. Your battery cable will attach to the stud on the opposite side of the solenoid as the big wire to the starter.

Yon need to obtain the factory service book and you should get a spare spark plug or two, spare air and several fuel filter and enough oil to change it a time or two. 15 hours on a new engine it's time to change it. I would pull the sparkplug and treat it with anti-seize compound. I'd do the muffler nuts/bolts also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I actually just changed the oil today (pull start is actually very easy), which is when I noticed the red battery cable wasnt attached to anything. Good advice on the spark plug, and filters. Ill look into that. Just took a quick look (in the dark with a flashlight) didint see any thick red cable. Ill take a look when I can see some better light.
Thanks again

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't have that exact model but I do have 2 small Champion generators that I'm really happy with.

The first one is a little 1200/1500 watt model that I use for lights in the barn. I've used it a lot over several years with no problem. Still starts easily on the first or second pull.

The second one is a 2000 watt inverter model I bought for my camper. I really like that one. Starts easy, Quiet, Runs a long time on a gallon of gas.

I have a 5500 watt Porter-Cable generator that I've had since 2009. It saved my butt during a 16 day power outage but, It is really loud,Uses a lot of gas and is NOT easy to start and has been in the repair shop a couple of times and is going back again.

I am thinking about replacing it with a larger Champion based on my experience with the two I have now.

I don't need the extra power from a large generator except for the hot water heater and furnace when needed. I'm going to keep an eye out during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales since they been listed in years past at good prices.

I keep extra plugs,filters etc. on hand and use synthetic oil in all of them after the initial break in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No luck

I am sure its just me but I can't find any red cable anywhere on the generator. Anyone have this exact model and willing to see where the red battery terminal connects? There's not much length so it can't be too far from the battery.....
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I actually just changed the oil today (pull start is actually very easy), which is when I noticed the red battery cable wasnt attached to anything. Good advice on the spark plug, and filters. Ill look into that. Just took a quick look (in the dark with a flashlight) didint see any thick red cable. Ill take a look when I can see some better light.
Thanks again

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
I'm not sure how to copy an auto starting PDF file's url. Google "champion generator model 71530 manual" and its first on the list. The red wire is 480 mm long part # 87. Scroll down to the schematics and the wiring diagrams. The link below appears to work.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwiZk4nwhPPIAhUX5GMKHXeVAxs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.championpowerequipment.com%2Fmedia%2F2281%2F71530_manual-english.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHVUh3jFE-LdEVIVEm_mcsSVg_PlA&sig2=lDReChWUBGYrVmTAhVxjyw&bvm=bv.106379543,d.cGc

1 - 20 of 36 Posts