Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried using a sleepingbag liner? I have a good +20 degree mummy bag, but want it to be useful at lower temps. I dont plan on using it in sub-zero temps, but want a little more out of it without getting a new one. It said that they can add 10 degrees to your existing sleeping bag.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
I always use one, not only does it add a bit of warmth it protects your bag from the oils from your skin.

Winter time I use a fleece liner and summer I use a silk liner.

Sometimes in the summer all I take is the liner without the bag.

I have heard good things about using "coolmax" like this

I have some extra laying around I might just make my own to give it a shot

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fleece blankets. Keeps you warmer, its light, dries fast, and makes sleeping in a damp sleeping bag much more comfortable.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a fleece liner that I use with my ~20yr old North Face Cats Meow. The bag was losing some loft but I didn't want to replace it. I ended up getting a fleece liner for ~$50 and never looked back. On warm nights I can sleep in the the liner on top of the bag. On cold nights I get in both. A worthy investment.

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
sleeping liner is recommended if you have a goose down bag. the reason is that you would wash the liner instead of the bag, thus making your bag last longer.

i use a liner in all my bags. whether it's a store bought one or a flat sheet.

·
Born to prep
3,728 Posts
I just pack a bed sheet with mine to use as a liner.
A sleeping bag cover will also help. They help keep your bag dry, clean and trap a layer of air around the bag. There has been a few times in the winter that I have used two covers and that helped a lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 on using a sleeping bag liner.

It is much easier to throw the liner in the wash than to have to wash the whole bag.

As for the added warmth - a fleece bag liner will give you an additional 10 degrees of warmth to whatever temperature your sleeping bag is rated for.

·
Wire Guided
933 Posts
My son promptly destroyed the zipper on his new sleeping bag. Instead of sewing a new zipper onto it, I put a fleece liner over it. It would probably feel warmer if inside, but it was quicker and easier than fixing the zipper.

·
Raider
155 Posts
Fleece sleeping bag liners are the bomb - even the cheapies. Nothing like having a bug out bag with a personal shelter, a 40 degree bag, plus a liner all weighing in at less than 4 pounds with you. Covers all your bases. Makes things SO much nicer.

Now - if you can get the old wool ones that are in good shape? I'd take that over a SLEEPING bag if I had to choose one or the other. Those were the shiz...

·
Ranger
475 Posts
Why not consider an overbag? The green patrol bag that is part of the USGI Modular Sleep System weighs 2 lb and is cut large enough to fit over the inner bag.

You can find them on the net, either new or in excellent condition for about $30.

The patrol bag by itself is great for warmer weather.

Many mummy bags are cut so snug that even a fleece inner bag is too tight for comfort.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
I use a fleece sleeping bag liner most of the year. It adds quite a bit of warmth and it does keep the bag clean. It also helps me stay on the pad since as I turn during the night the bag liner goes with me and the bag adheres to the pad. I also use a bag shell (much like an overbag) that extends the temp range of my bag. Last weekend I slept in 0 degree weather in my 3-piece bag set up and a 3-season tent. I slept comfy, even with the snow.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
I´m one of those filthy Europeans. We call it un-neurotic but anyhow...

Liners are not primarily for hygene as someone suggested, if they were they wouldn´t so often be made out of fleece. But it is true that they protect your sleepingbag. Kinda obvious...

I only had the silk kind and to me personally they suck. I don´t like the feeling of the fabric and it adds to the claustrophobic feeling. I´ll go with fleece the next time.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
You might want to try a poncho liner. Woobie. Works wonders. Helps fill in the dead air pockets in your bag, and keeps out drafts. Snuggle, snuggle.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have a micro fleece liner that I was given by a Swiss guy for light camping trips. I haven't used it much because when I go camping, it's usually on a riverbed and they are often dang cold in the morning so I always have a double sleeping bag.

·
1 Thessalonians 4:11
437 Posts
I have a couple of coolmax liners and like them a lot. I work as a wildland firefighter, and when we're out on a fire for weeks at a time I'd like to think that the liner is keeping some of the dirt, ash and grime off of my sleeping bag.
It might just be a mental thing, but I am more comfortable using the liner when it's really hot inside the tent right after dark. MAybe it's the "moisture wicking" of the coolmax:confused:

·
Healthy Skeptic
254 Posts
I'll add my two cents also. A sleeping bag liner is terrific. I'm not much into the "it adds ** Degrees" thing. My -10 bag is a 35 degree bag to my wife.

Liners DO make the bag more comfortable in terms of feel against your skin, is easier and quicker to clean than the regular bag, and pack up into almost nothing.

I have made a few bag liners in the past. My favorite one was out of a bedsheet. Very comfortable inside the bag with that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts