Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure they use nitrile in my doctor's practice. I'm due to see him on Monday, so I'll check.

Meanwhile I've had a box of 100 nitrile that I bought from Gempler's a few years ago, but have only used a few.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The thin disposable rubber gloves don't last very long, about 3 years, if stored outside. Our hot summers and cold dry winters are just too tough on rubber things. The thicker yellow rubber gloves sold in the kitchen section might last longer though. You might sterilize them in a bleach solution. My vinyl gloves didn't do much better stored outside either.

·
Psalm 37:28
718 Posts
I bought 100 nitriles on Amazon for $8 last week. They're industrial rather than medical grade, but from what I've read the only difference is in thickness/toughness. Medical are more tear-resistant.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
For COV19, the dryiNg out of the mask probally does as much good as the Sunlight. For a real airborne virus ( ie anthrax) where the partials are trapped in the mask, The sunlight may be completely ineffective.

Ideally tuck the straps under the mask- rubber and UV often don’t play well together.
Maybe microwave them. But the bands may suffer?

Has anything been done to test how long the virus does survive on inanimate objects?

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
We use butyl rubber gloves, and the surgical ones underneath. I dont like the cotton liners, to apt to get crud on them. (C.R.U.D. Creek River Unidentified Deposits) a nuclear term.
I just showed Mrs Wire how to use two sets if surgical gloves at the gas pump.
Boy did it draw attention.

These light weight gloves will rip when carrying dead bodies and other contaminated materials. . You need a stronger out glove.

Never thought I would have to decon a gas pump or car. (dont forget the credit card)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Why would nitrile not be as good as latex for virus protection?
I’ve never heard this before, and nitrile is commonly used for bioterrorism response- nearly all first responders have switched to nitrile, as they are more puncture proof, and how the hell do you figure out if you have a latex allergy without touching someone.

If you ask healthcare providers ( or med school professors) what they are typically wearing gloves to prevent, its AIDS and hepatitis, both viruses. Most the concern among professionals is hepatitis, though the death sentence stigma of AIDS scared a lot of people, especially those with less training.

Latex seams the choice for surgical gloves, it’s supposed to have a superior feel, and hey, you don’t see nitrile condoms. Latex surgical gloves are usually powdered, and stored flat in individual pouches, not cramed in a box like exam gloves.

I Remember as a 18 yo running my fingers through latex gives. With nitrile that seems to only be a female problem, and only with the cheapest gloves- TSA rarely get tears compared to the ER room gloves that seemed designed for a 5 minute lifespan.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

Has anything been done to test how long the virus does survive on inanimate objects?
Yes, and no. They have done testing with SARS and said seconds to 9 days. It’s a good guess the 9 days was a mucus or sputum sample inside in static 95% humidity air. Seconds was probably small virus particles outside in high heat/ low humidity. It’s CDC believes transmission is predominantly via droplet, so the answer is closer to the 9 days.

SARS is though to be very similar to corona virus, at lest the closest thing that has been studied. Most of the infection control measures are copied from SARS.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The thin disposable rubber gloves don't last very long, about 3 years, if stored outside. Our hot summers and cold dry winters are just too tough on rubber things. The thicker yellow rubber gloves sold in the kitchen section might last longer though. You might sterilize them in a bleach solution. My vinyl gloves didn't do much better stored outside either.
I’ve had to kill some kudzu which involved applying the strait 50% Round Up to cut vines. I tried the yellow semi disposable dishwashing gloves w/o success. Had to order real industrial nitrile gloves and wash them when finished. Unlike mixing chemicals, and spraying, you will get glyphosate on your hands, and it will be 60x stronger than tank mix.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

So the poster, said this might work, and I don’t disagree, it might. If you want a proven solution, yes microwave generated steam has been proven in tests, and the bands survived ( for like 3 simulated uses)

Microwaves by themselves, I have no idea, maybe good on a droplet. I don’t know what the bands would do without the water to assorb most of the energy and limit the temperature to around 212 deg F, but easy enough to find out, but the answer is limited to that material.

ETA: Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3078131

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I’ve never heard this before, and nitrile is commonly used for bioterrorism response- nearly all first responders have switched to nitrile, as they are more puncture proof, and how the hell do you figure out if you have a latex allergy without touching someone.

Latex seams the choice for surgical gloves, it’s supposed to have a superior feel, and hey, you don’t see nitrile condoms. Latex surgical gloves are usually powdered, and stored flat in individual pouches, not cramed in a box like exam gloves.
I remember from eboladays that you wore two. One, at your actual size (like medium) and one extra-large OVER the medium.

I am allergic to latex and it's on all my charts. One touch and I blow up.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts