Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.americanclassic1911.com/classic-ii-model.html

is this a quality reliable gun? price seems too good to be true for what you get. im interestd in a good reliable 1911 for shooting at the range that wont break the bank, i also want all the bells and whistles (extended slide release, ambidextrous safety, beavertail grip safety, ext) The only other one i see in the price range is the Taurus but i dont really like the finish on it

·
Registered
220 Posts
While I have never had the opertunity to fire an AC 1911. The word on the streets is that that are a very reliable and a great value for the $$.

I would also check out the Rock Island 1911's. They are also filipino made 1911's that have a great reputation as value 1911. I own 2 of them a Tactical model (which is what it sounds like your interested in) and a GI model. Both have been reliable, accurate, fun to shoot and come with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
While I have never had the opertunity to fire an AC 1911. The word on the streets is that that are a very reliable and a great value for the $$.

I would also check out the Rock Island 1911's. They are also filipino made 1911's that have a great reputation as value 1911. I own 2 of them a Tactical model (which is what it sounds like your interested in) and a GI model. Both have been reliable, accurate, fun to shoot and come with a lifetime warranty.
Is there any truth to the Rock Islands being made on the original machines that turned out the original army issue 1911s or is that internet myth? I read a while ago that the company in the Phillpines that makes Rock Island's 1911 bought the some of the original manufacturing equipment and that was how they got into the 1911 business.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is there any truth to the Rock Islands being made on the original machines that turned out the original army issue 1911s or is that internet myth? I read a while ago that the company in the Phillpines that makes Rock Island's 1911 bought the some of the original manufacturing equipment and that was how they got into the 1911 business.[/QUOTE

I do recall reading something like that in the past. Let me do some re-search and I'll update you on what I found out.:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well here is some info that I found out about RIA/Armscorp

ARMSCORP is the U.S. outlet for South Africa's Krygstuig Korporasie van Suid-Afrika
(Armaments Corporation of South Africa). The Pretoria conglomerate traces its
beginnings back to 1948, as the apartheid state armament factory. However, it
only started using the 'Armscor' acronym for one of its corporate divisions
(set up in 1979) in late 1982 or more likely, mid-1983. In the U.S., they have to
use Armscorp to avoid confusion with Armscor (Philippines)

ARMSCOR (Arms Corporation of the Philippines) is owned by the Tuason family.
Although it likes to trace its roots to a camera shop opened in 1906-1907
(Squires, Bingham & Co.), the 'Arms Corporation of the Philippines' was incorporated
only in 1980. It used both 'Armscor' and 'Armscorp' trademarks for awhile, before
quickly settling on the former, which was less ambiguous to pronounce.

Today's 'Rock Island Armory' known for budget 1911's is NOT a company. Well, not really.

Not to be confused with the U.S. military's 'Rock Island Arsenal',
it is a brandname owned by Twin Pines Inc. of the Philippines, owned by the
Topacio family, who also own the largest combined-dealership of firearms
in the Philippines. Twin Pines' RIA line of firearms (from pistols to battle rifles)
is manufactured by several companies, or in-house, depending on model/type.

The RIA 1911 used to be partly outsourced to Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil
(IMBEL) but the results were unsatisfactory, and so, Twin Pines turned to compatriot
Armscor. For awhile RIA 1911's were distributed in the U.S. by SARCO, etc., but this
also proved unsatisfactory. Since Armscor had long had a U.S. distribution network,
they soon bagged the RIA US distribution contract, on top of manfacturing.

Keep in mind that the "RIA 1911" is a rebranded "Armscor GI".
"Charles Daly 1911's" are rebranded Armscors, albeit messed-with by CD-KBI.

Armscor had only recently upgraded its manufacturing capability when
Twin Pines/RIA (and even Tanfoglio "1911") went to them for manufacture.
The result is that Armscor and Charles Daly carry some reputational baggage
from back when Armscor hadn't upgraded, while RIA fully enjoys
the reputational fruits of Armscor's investment in new technology.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I bought one but I did not have the chance to get it out and give it a good run through on the range. I must say the fit and finish are great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts