Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Augen auf!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a couple of sig 556s at my local gun shop, I've held them and I love the way the rifle feels, I like the sights, the interchangeability of magazines and ammo with my AR, and I like the idea of having a piston driven rifle. I was wondering if anyone here owns one, or has fired one, and what they think of it? I just wanted to hear from someone with first hand experience before i decide on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have fired several and they are nice shooters. They seemed to be a little too front heavy to me but i think it was because they were the ones that came with the railed forearm. They also tossed brass about half a mile away from you so it was kind of a pain tracking it all down afterwards. If i had the extra cash i would get the new one they just came out with that has the short forearm with the 16" barrel, it reminds me of a sig 553.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
Stay away from the fishgill handguard 556's with the ar-15 buffer tube style stock. Get the classic with 550 style handguards and folding stock. The iron sights I found to be junk IMHO. Get a decent red dot, holo sight, fixed powered scope and take that rotary diopter off there. Sig has a flip up iron sight underneath the diopter in case your optics fail. Other than being a little heavy 10lbs ready to rock-n-roll, it's reliable shots everything and has little to no recoil making follow up shots easy. Plus it has an adjustable trigger which is predictable

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
No doubt they are good and many people love them. But I don't, they are muzzle heavy, the ergonomics aren't great and the parts are proprietary. A quality AR is a much better choice - maybe something in a different configuration than the one you already have.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I have both a sig classic 556 and a colt le6920, I am very familiar with the ar platform having served In the military. But hands down the sig is marginally better (I say marginal because it's a colt), trigger is good out the box, though the mechanism is proprietary the same could be said for milspec ar's. My colts parts are not interchangeable with bushmaster's, dpms etc. The sigs bolt carrier is a milled piece very precise and quality made. The system is a proven design that dates back to Swiss made military rifles of the 60's 70's and on up. It's design is from the ak which we all know is robust

·
Registered
513 Posts
I own 2 sig 556s and 2 lwrc ARs. The 556 core weapon system is very robust. More AK than AR. Accuracy for me is maybe on average an inch less than most of my ARs.

Sig came up short with the cheap sites and furniture.

I disagree with an above post about getting a classic series. For me I prefer the m4 556 variant as it allows a multitude of options.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've been looking at a couple of sig 556s at my local gun shop, I've held them and I love the way the rifle feels, I like the sights, the interchangeability of magazines and ammo with my AR, and I like the idea of having a piston driven rifle. I was wondering if anyone here owns one, or has fired one, and what they think of it? I just wanted to hear from someone with first hand experience before i decide on it.
i Would if i could but i can't so i won't.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm just not sold on the piston drive yet. Thats the only reason I've yet to purchase one. I don't know if I'd trust my life with it. Now my sig handguns, I'd be willing to make that leap of faith.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I bought one of the first 556's that were available,,so mine has the m4 style stock,,i have no complaints EXCEPT sig really screwed the pooch when they cheaped out on the sights,, couldn't be more dissappointed,,,the newer rifles at least come with a front site and a back up flip rear,,,mine didn't have anything,,and what sig offered looked like it came off of an airsoft gun.

As for fit, function, accuracy, reliablitiy, these rifles are fine,,but in SHTF it might be better to just get an AR for parts availability, ect...

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
Not sure what you mean by m4 variant? They only offer classic and swat none that mention m4. If by m4 you mean the one with the buffer tube those were complete garbage and they did away with them because that gun does not use a buffer spring, the fishgill handguards were also a waste and was reported broken by many 556 users. The swat IMHO makes the already heavy gun that much heavier. Also just for discussion please mention what options you have that I don't? I can tell you one my swiss style stock folds in for compact carry

·
Registered
770 Posts
My local gun store told me that a few months ago, Sig was throwing in a FREE .22 model (552?) with the purchase of a 556. They said that they thought Sig would repeat the promotion by the Spring. If you're considering a Sig 556, it might be something to look out for. I am. Hey, free gun.:thumb:

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have several 556 rifles. The SWAT classic, the SWAT Patrol and one of the ones with the M4 stocks. The m4 stocked one was the first, and it had the junk flip down front sight and back up rear sight in the rail. I agree the M4 stock on it bites, but it being a M4 commercial config allows you to change up on the stock. I put a magpul ACS stock on it. The Sight situation was easily fixed by purchasing a SIG front and rear diopter set for 150.00. The fish gill handguards were replaced with SWISS style handguards. My thoughts there is nothing wrong with the m4 stocked model. All I will say is that I have more AR15s than SIGs and I prefer by Bushmaster modular, Yankee Hill Diamond and S&W M&PT over the SIGS ( when talaking about carbines). Mainly because of Wieght. The SIGS are heavier on the front end. I feel my ARs are slightly more accurate but that may be because the SIGS have a 1/7 twist vs the 1/9 of my two favorite carbines. I generally only fire 55 grain and 62 grain ammo. Cleaning the SIG is breeze. I feel they are quality rifles. Now SIG customer service is another thing and I had a problem with one of these rifles and all I will say is that they did not take care of it. It made me angry enough not to buy any more SIG rifles. Buyers just check your rifles out very carfully before putting the moeney down on them. The good news for buyers these days is that SIGs can be had for $899-$1200. Just a half year ago I paid 300 more. In the end I am collecter and enjoy firearms but if the **** hit the fan I would prefer one of my AR15s.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I'm not sure I would take my colt 6920 over my sig556... One does weigh less, but given a scenario were you might not be able to clean the rifle, the sig will fair much better, none of the gunpowder residue finds it's way back into the workings. And the bolt carrier is a heavier robust piece less likely to jam if debris finds it's way in. Besides weight the only other advantage I give to the colt is it has a thicker barrel and better factory sights, they both have 1/7 twist

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
I would definitely take a Colt 6920 over a Sig 556! Not trying to start the piston vs. DI thing again but - as far as cleaning, the Colt doesn't need that much. As long as you can find rags, etc. and motor oil you can keep it running almost indefinitely. If you don't think so read about Filthy 14 at BCM's site.

·
Augen auf!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info everyone, I decided to go with a classic model in black, and I plan on adding an Eotech, and if the stock doesn't work for me I have found a couple other options that looked interesting, like the Magpul CTR.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Micro dots work well on 556's due to them mounting so low. The Pic. rial on the 556 is higher than the AR thus the sights you put on it can be mounted lower and maintain the cheek weld.

Enjoy your new rifle.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
Well that's why I said "given a scenario were you might not be able to clean the rifle".....Good choice with the classic it's lighter than the swat model which is a plus. I would trust my life with both colt and sig, who knows maybe the colt can go through 5000 rounds without cleaning, but who's to say you only shoot two rounds drop your weapon into some dirt or sand and jam up the works. It can happen to both, I like my chances with the sig though

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not sure what you mean by m4 variant? They only offer classic and swat none that mention m4. If by m4 you mean the one with the buffer tube those were complete garbage and they did away with them because that gun does not use a buffer spring, the fishgill handguards were also a waste and was reported broken by many 556 users. The swat IMHO makes the already heavy gun that much heavier. Also just for discussion please mention what options you have that I don't? I can tell you one my swiss style stock folds in for compact carry
The m4 variant is the pre-classic model style lower that accepts any AR 15 stock.

Being able to place any of the multitude of AR stocks available to me is an advantage to being limited to just only the classic stock. I have two different types of ace stocks on mine. If you like the classic stock above all other AR 15 stocks or just like having the look of the classic then I wouldn't worry about it.

Recently an adapter became available to allow AR stocks on the 556 classic lower. They are still working out some issues with loose fit.
I hope that clarifies things for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts