Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because I have recently been reading a lot of the recommendations from FERFAL's blog, and it occurs to me that I need to have firearms for my wife and nearby relatives who are not going to buy them on their own. Money is tight right now, but the hi-point pistols are very inexpensive.

I keep thinking about his blog comments that the most dangerous time for a person is entering or leaving their home. That is/was the time when you are/were most likely to be robbed in Argentina. Granted, I have an open field of fire in front of the house, but it still is something to think about.

I want to hear from owners about the quality and reliability of these guns. Something is infinitely better than nothing.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,920 Posts
I only have the Hi=Point 9mm carbine. I like it. I have heard that their handguns, while not cute and pretty are functional and will get the job done.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
I personally dont like hipoints. I will not go to the point of saying i wont own one because i have. I just will not purposely seek out and buy one. If it is a super good deal, thats a different story. They seem to work fine. Atleast that is what people have told me. I did have a hipoint carbine a few years ago, it worked fine. Cant remember who, but someone told me that they were standard issue for NYPD (pistol). I do not know if this is true though. I would recommend a used taurus 9mm. You should be able to find one for around the same price, and they have a better name. Although, ultimately the decision is yours. Get what you like (can afford). Just remember you are trusting your life to it. Also remember, you get what you pay for. You cannot expect a hipoint to holdits own with a baretta, nor can you expect an AK to shoot like an AR.

·
happiness is a warm gun
790 Posts
I own one of the older hi-point 995 9mm carbines. For the money it has been a very good gun. Its reliable with factory mags and suprisingly accurate with open sites within 100 yards. I have a few friends who own the .380/9mm/45 semi-auto pistols. They are top heavy and a bit clunky and you will need a punch to (remove pin) disassemble for cleaning. In my opinion they are not as reliable as the carbines but better than a knife or can of mace.

·
first class white trash
1,186 Posts
before the dreaded boating accident i had four. two 9mm carbines, and two 9mm pistols. i had no issues with any of them. well, i did have one. people were always ripping on them cause they didnt cost 600 bucks. but mine worked fine, and were accurate. just not pretty.but keep in mind that most of the guys that will rip on them have never even owned or shot one. if you can afford a more expensive gun there is nothing wrong with that. if you cant afford a more expensive gun, theres nothing wrong with that either. they will work fine. just dont buy aftermarket mags(the 15 rounders)

·
Livin' the freekin' dream
428 Posts
They aren't terrible and they aren't great. The one that I own is reliable and is kept in the back of my safe only to be pulled out for when I am working out in the yard or in the garden. It is not my primary weapon, but is reliable and functional enough to be used for outside work as not to ruin or rust any of my other weapons.

Some like 'em some hate 'em. I don't have a problem with them at all. Some guys swear they are junk, but I feel like most may have not ever even fired one to make an honest opinion about them. They instead rely on other people to tell them what to like.

Some people have tried them and still don't like them and that is fine too, but the nice part is if it doesn't work Hi Point has a life time warranty and will fix or replace whatever is wrong with it. Can't ask much more out of gun in that price range.

See if you can't find one at a range to try out and make your own opinion.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
I own the Hi-Point C9 9mm,runs fine with factory ammo and does great now with my hand loads once I got the OAL worked out with the magazines.

I fired a couple boxes of CCI Blazer and Blazer Brass ammo and a couple boxes of cheap Wolf steel case ammo I had stashed away from some years back and it all ran fine the Russian stuff actually out shot the CCI ammo but my reloads do much better than any factory stuff.

The magazines seem to the the main problem with the 9mm pistol,Hi-Point would do themselves a great favor if the produced a little better quality mag. but you can tweak the ones you have if they have issues and it generally solves the feed problem. I loaded both of mine up and let them set for a couple weeks and I haven't had any problems. I've had mine for about a year now and put about 1K rds. through it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
They're 100% American made, have a lifetime warranty, and have gone 'bang' every time I've pulled the trigger on one.

They're heavy and ugly, and if fit and finish is important to you, save your money, cause you'll be disappointed. If you want a dependable, no-frills, inexpensive firearm, they're hard to beat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do us all a favor and search hi points on the forum as there are probably 50 threads on them already. Not to be discouraging but maybe if you wonder about something do a search before creating a superfluous thread.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a 45 hi point I've ran over thousand rounds through it and i put +p ammo through it. It hasn't gave me any trouble at all it's a little ugly and heavy. But you can't beat the price or the lifetime guarantee. But it's all up to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ended up with one in a trade a few months back. I didn't want it, it is ugly and heavy (9mm). But I took it out several times and it goes bang every time with my reloads. Accuracy was good also.

I have heard of some issues with mag problems, but mine runs great.

·
Registered
859 Posts
when they shoot they shoot great, but when they don't good luck getting through a mag with ftf and such. I've owned several. When they shoot they're accurate as hell. My opinion save your money and get get a used ruger p series.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your replies. It sounds like the hi-point is a functional gun, but not pretty or particularly comfortable in the hand. There is a dealer not far from me that I am going to contact to get some hands-on experience.

I have not found anywhere locally that can beat the price of these firearms. If they go bang every time, I may pick up a couple.

Searching for "Hi Point" or "hi point" returned nothing but junk.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have the 9mm Carbine and love it. I also have the C9 pistol and hate everything about it. Another problem about the pistol is nobody but the original gunshop will consider it as trade bait. Hi-Point is like any other firearm manufacture they have some good some bad. In my case it just convinces me once again you cant cheap out on handguns.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I own one of the older hi-point 995 9mm carbines. For the money it has been a very good gun. Its reliable with factory mags and suprisingly accurate with open sites within 100 yards. I have a few friends who own the .380/9mm/45 semi-auto pistols. They are top heavy and a bit clunky and you will need a punch to (remove pin) disassemble for cleaning. In my opinion they are not as reliable as the carbines but better than a knife or can of mace.
The HP carbine is a dang good gun. Its accuracy is surprising.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Thanks for the thread da wanderer. I can't search for threads on this site right now, that function is down. I was going to ask the same question as a local shop has the Hi-point 45 on sale and was just curious. You beat me to it, must have a better brand of coffee in Argentina than we do in San Diego. I have not owned a Hi-point of any caliber or configuration. All my research on the web indicates about a 75% "acceptable for the price" response. If this were for a family member though I would want 100% "glowing enthusiasm" review. Unless you have a decent firearm for your wife and you will risk the Hi-point for personal carry I would probably not buy one. One main objection, reliability aside, if the firearm is heavey your wife may not want to carry it. Are there any Bersa .380's to be had in your area? They have a better reputation and are much lighter. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts