Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here, but have lived in TN most of my life and currently live in a small rural town on the Cumberland Plateau near the base of the Appalachia mountains. I don't know a ton about the prepper/survivalist community (I want to learn more) but have seen our area mentioned in some best selling books and news articles about prepping when I was researching the area years ago. I can definitely understand why, though.

We're surrounded by parks (Big South Fork, Pickett State Park), thousands of caves and federal land, everyone here owns firearms and shoots on their land. We have thousands of miles of horse and ATV trails with some of the best known ATV parks in the southeast (Brimstone, Ride Royal Blue, Windrock) so it's an outdoor lovers paradise. It's also the bible-belt so there's more Churches per capita than probably anywhere in the US. There's roughly 1700 people in the town and 17K in the county. We boast some of the lowest property tax rates in the entire US, and have no state income tax on top of it.

Now that I've given you some information about the area, I'm a Realtor and can help you all find homes or land in the area, whether you want a traditional home with utilities or a mountainous 150+ Acres with no utility access for off-grid living for under 200K. You can get any of it out here. The only downside is that the national housing market is insane so inventory is low everywhere, but land is still relatively easy to buy since most people want homes and land can sit for long periods. Land here can run anywhere from $1500/Acre to $15K/Acre depending on size, location, topography and amenities.

I'm more than happy to give you guys more information about the area or send you properties that are available. You are welcome to PM me if you want to talk via email or phone, or reply here if you just want general questions.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,736 Posts
Hello, I'm a rabid democrat, always vote left and hard-core atheist. Moving to East TN sounds like a great idea. I'll bring my voting behavior with me. Soon we leftists will transform TN into Detroit!

Of course the above is outright sarcasm.

I am interested, I've been looking for acreage and a ranch style home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha. Sarcasm or not, I work with all types. We do get a lot of out of state shoppers, but it's mostly from FL and OH, some NH/MA and WA. The ones who tour from NY/CA are usually from the Conservative areas wanting to escape their states politics. We get a fair bit of wealthier retirees looking for horse properties, and younger couples looking to be near the ATV trails. I have met some Preppers looking to buy up in the mountains and want to be off-grid, which is actually feasible here because we have a ton of land that is priced low since it would be too expensive to run electricity and water to the site.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The last year or two we were looking for property for the extended family. Within an hour of Chattanooga. My daughter and her family live there. Things have come to a halt due to health issues and the state of things in the country. Will keep looking, just not buying right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, but do you have any in South Central Colorado?
Unfortunately I am only licensed in Tennessee.

sent a PM
Replied. Sorry, it was a long day!

The last year or two we were looking for property for the extended family. Within an hour of Chattanooga. My daughter and her family live there. Things have come to a halt due to health issues and the state of things in the country. Will keep looking, just not buying right now.
Sorry to hear about your(family) health issues. I'll gladly send you properties to mull over even if you're not in the market to buy today. Unlike homes which can sell in 6 hours of hitting the MLS, land tends to sit for much longer, so we may find you something you like today that's still available a year from now.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,798 Posts
I thought Tn does have a state income tax and that is why the goods and services there are lower than in Florida. I have a good friend (more like he is my brother than a friend) that lives in Thornhill Tn over in the tri-state area in north eastern Tn and when I went to visit him in 2010, I filled up my gas tank and bought a carton of cigarettes for half of what I paid here in Florida. Now that I am stop smoking the cigarettes won't be an issue but he told me that it is because of a state income tax that goods and services were lower there.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,798 Posts
I looked it up and see I was entirely wrong about this issue. Sorry for that, but I have always thought that they had one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, it's all good. Our lack of state income tax is part of the draw for retiree's here. We would likely have had cheaper cigarettes here simply because our cost of living is lower than FL. With that being said, if you wanted cigarettes cheap and you lived in northern TN (like I do in the Cumberland Plateau), we used to drive across the border and buy them in Kentucky which had no excise tax on tobacco products, but that changed in the last few years I think.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,736 Posts
TN does have a nearly 10% sales tax in some locations. It is a combo of 7% state and as much as 2.75% local taxes. TN also taxes food.

So the state and locals make good money that way. It is also good to know that the real estate tax on a TN home is very likely to be based on the purchase price. The previous owner may have paid near nothing in taxes, but that does not mean the same applies to you.

Home prices have doubled in most TN locations. Tax rates remain the same, but the cost-basis has doubled.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,736 Posts
If you come across a ranch style home on multiple acres, anywhere around Mountain City, let me know. I've been looking for quite some time. Plenty of nice places came and went, with ever increasing prices. But none were "knee-friendly".

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,699 Posts
No, but do you have any in South Central Colorado?
Thirty years and more ago South central CO was a great choice. I almost bought some land there since it was cheap even with some water etc. But I am very glad I bought a few acres in south central Wyoming for many reasons which I won't go into now.

And south central Colorado is one of the coldest places in the winter in the USA. Do a search on the area and any area before buying. And Colorado is rapidly changing more and more into California thus why I and many now call it Calirado. Hope you might check out south central Wyoming around Laramie to Saratoga before buying in CO. Unless you like California politics and such which CO is doing more and more as well as getting more over developed, over regulated and over populated.

·
Sure’nuff
749 Posts
Thirty years and more ago South central CO was a great choice. I almost bought some land there since it was cheap even with some water etc. But I am very glad I bought a few acres in south central Wyoming for many reasons which I won't go into now.

And south central Colorado is one of the coldest places in the winter in the USA. Do a search on the area and any area before buying. And Colorado is rapidly changing more and more into California thus why I and many now call it Calirado. Hope you might check out south central Wyoming around Laramie to Saratoga before buying in CO. Unless you like California politics and such which CO is doing more and more as well as getting more over developed, over regulated and over populated.
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I have heard some good things about Wyoming. We'll head up there this summer and check it out. I do know that it gets pretty windy up there and I-80 gets shut down a lot due to winter storms and whatnot. But, that's about all we know about it. I'd probably have to look for work more toward Cheyenne since it's a bigger city than Laramie, but as far as living goes, there's no way I will live in a place that has more than 30,000 people. That's my cut off point and even that is far too high. 😂(y)

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
TN does have a nearly 10% sales tax in some locations. It is a combo of 7% state and as much as 2.75% local taxes. TN also taxes food.

So the state and locals make good money that way. It is also good to know that the real estate tax on a TN home is very likely to be based on the purchase price. The previous owner may have paid near nothing in taxes, but that does not mean the same applies to you.

Home prices have doubled in most TN locations. Tax rates remain the same, but the cost-basis has doubled.
I would rather pay tax on something I need and use than a Tax that is taken I get nothing in return like here in NY. I can choose if I want to buy the item. And if it is a big enough Price I can always cross state line and buy the item where the Tax is cheaper on the item.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Just as long as the Yellowstone type idiots stay out of the Savage Run.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here, but have lived in TN most of my life and currently live in a small rural town on the Cumberland Plateau near the base of the Appalachia mountains. I don't know a ton about the prepper/survivalist community (I want to learn more) but have seen our area mentioned in some best selling books and news articles about prepping when I was researching the area years ago. I can definitely understand why, though.

We're surrounded by parks (Big South Fork, Pickett State Park), thousands of caves and federal land, everyone here owns firearms and shoots on their land. We have thousands of miles of horse and ATV trails with some of the best known ATV parks in the southeast (Brimstone, Ride Royal Blue, Windrock) so it's an outdoor lovers paradise. It's also the bible-belt so there's more Churches per capita than probably anywhere in the US. There's roughly 1700 people in the town and 17K in the county. We boast some of the lowest property tax rates in the entire US, and have no state income tax on top of it.

Now that I've given you some information about the area, I'm a Realtor and can help you all find homes or land in the area, whether you want a traditional home with utilities or a mountainous 150+ Acres with no utility access for off-grid living for under 200K. You can get any of it out here. The only downside is that the national housing market is insane so inventory is low everywhere, but land is still relatively easy to buy since most people want homes and land can sit for long periods. Land here can run anywhere from $1500/Acre to $15K/Acre depending on size, location, topography and amenities.

I'm more than happy to give you guys more information about the area or send you properties that are available. You are welcome to PM me if you want to talk via email or phone, or reply here if you just want general questions.

View attachment 363209
What is the name of the small town you are from?

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,699 Posts
Just as long as the Yellowstone type idiots stay out of the Savage Run.
Lots of wilderness around Yellowstone and huge national forests around the MT and WY border. And most people likely don't know that you mentioned the Savage Run is a wilderness area. Many may not know that it burned October 2020 part of the huge Mullen Fire. That terrible fire was at least 30 miles to the south east of my mtn retreat but I could see the huge smoky clouds. Here is a link to that wilderness and an article a bit about the fire in the second link > Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests & Thunder Basin National Grassland - Savage Run Wilderness Mullen Fire Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System

I don't know if there are many wild fires in eastern USA such as TN and Appalachians but many areas in the western USA have burned and in danger of burning, especially bad drought areas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts