Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the steripen solar 2 cr123 lithium rechargeable battery charger, but it is built to house a steripen as well. I will buy one of these if I have to but I was hoping to find a generic lithium battery charger that would also charge rechargeable lithium aa and aaa batteries as well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT recharge a regular CR123A lithium battery!!!!

If you want a rechargeable CR123A (16340) sized battery you will need to purchase some RCR123's. I will suggest AW batteries. They arent cheap but they ARE the best :thumb: And as for a charger you can use the WF-139 with some spacers to charge them.

Just so you know CR123 batteries are only 3 volts. Most RCR's are 3.7v (4.2 max) and you need to be sure that your device will operate with these batteries. You can purchase 3.0v rechargeable li-ions but they wont have anywhere near the capacity a regular CR123 does. I would also suggest only using protected cells and NOT using cheap overseas li-ions (or any overseas lithium battery for that matter.) If you do buy the 3 volt cells you cant use the WF-139 and you will have to buy a 3.0v charger instead. If you let me know exactly what your trying to use these batt's with I can help you choose the right stuff for the job! Now as far as solar Im really not sure what to tell you. I doubt there is anything very useful out there that is also small enough to be portable.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Not directly no, not sure they exist.

They do definitly make solar AA battery chargers, I have a couple of them.

I do have a round about way to charge 123 batteries via solar though. You can get 123 chargers that plug into cigarette lighter sockets (I have one..), and I also have a Brunton Solaris 26w solar panel, which comes with a cigarette lighter socket attachment, so I can charge them that way around.

My plan however is to buy no more CR123 torches (I currently have 2) and ensure all future purchases run on AA batteries.

If TEOTWAKI happens and I need to bug out (extremely unlikely) I guess I will just be "stuck" with my Fenix TK40 and my Fenix TK20 :p (only the two most awesome torches I have ever owned :p )

·
Registered
1 Posts
gsxrac,
I've just joined this board and found your post about rechargeable CR123A's and maybe you can help me.
I contacted Streamlight about using rechargeables in my PT2L and this was their reply:
"Rechargeable CR 123 batteries produce a higher voltage than standard Lithium CR 123 batteries, and are therefore not recommended for use in Streamlight's products."
I obviously don't want to damage my light but what is your opinion?
Thanks
Mark

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
bah, I've used a regular charger to recharge a few of these button cells stacked together. Just put them on a timer to shut off and don't leave it on too long. Worse can happen is you leak some battery acid onto the charger.

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
dealextreme.com yeah its china, but cheap and they have all types of batteries and chargers. You may need a small seperate solar panel (5 watts) and hook it up to the charger.

BTW, free shipping on everything.

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
I didn't even know about rechargeable rcr123's. Just ordered some off amazon, not solar though. I have my own solar setup to charge em off of. Definitely worth the money.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
I have several of the steripen solar kits and was thinking of getting a charger that would charge several batteries at a time. The solar charger takes a long time to charge.

If you find a good charger post the info.

Red

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
I dont want to start a new thread...I have AA eneloops that I want to be able to charge with solar in a SHTF situation.
I am thinking I DO NOT want to buy chinese crap, but would like to buy something that is quality and will last for many years with no issues.

I noticed a couple of people on here have them...what are your opinions on what I should buy?

I dont care if it is easily packed in a BOB bag, cause we are bugging in

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
I have these and many other batteries like 18650's etc. and they work great and the price is :eek:
As you can see, the charger has 12v input. This way you can hook up any small (or large) solar panel or 12 volt source to charge the batteries.
Just make sure you get "protected" batteries. They will have a strip down the side under the plastic.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-3-6v-880mah-lc-16340-protected-cr123a-battery-2-pack-3273

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-3-6-3-7v-battery-charger-1251

1 - 14 of 14 Posts