Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Sleeper
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long will it be before the government starts rationing health care? This is the kind of stuff I worry about every day. If I get sick and I don't have any political connections, what are my odds of getting decent treatment? WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIE!!!!:(

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I guess if you can afford it, you can hire your own full-time doc. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
learning first-aid,cpr getting home remmedies books stocking mega first-aid kits
you can ask our canadian friends here they have this type health care ask them what they wish they would had stocked up on before thier gov health care kicked in.
a side note the drug dealers that sell pain-killers may see new clients they normally would'nt see and make some serious cash

·
Registered
93 Posts
you can ask our canadian friends here they have this type health care ask them what they wish they would had stocked up on before thier gov health care kicked in.
You could but it would just disprove your point and display your ignorance.

Canadians love their health care, the new bill that passed is not even close to the Canadian system, furthermore when the Canadian system "kicked in" it was met with just as much hatred as we have today, but the seas never turned to fire, the sky never fell, and god did not send to earth another wave of wraths.

I am indifferent when it comes to this bill, i'm happily insured with a very generous plan but at the same time I'm not a moron that thinks Obama is going to kill my grandmother, ration healthcare and eat my children. Is it a good step for us? Maybe, maybe not but google our healthcare stats and compare internationally. The system needs a fix, a better argument would be that this is the wrong fix.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
a TWO YEAR waiting list for nurse school here in Michigan. My wife has been on the list for almost a year. The feds don’t want to spend money on getting people trained, that would make sense, train the people for the inrush of 15mil new patients, nope just let the system fail.

Sorry rant over. Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Harmless Drudge

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
You could but it would just disprove your point and display your ignorance.

Canadians love their health care, the new bill that passed is not even close to the Canadian system, furthermore when the Canadian system "kicked in" it was met with just as much hatred as we have today, but the seas never turned to fire, the sky never fell, and god did not send to earth another wave of wraths.

I am indifferent when it comes to this bill, i'm happily insured with a very generous plan but at the same time I'm not a moron that thinks Obama is going to kill my grandmother, ration healthcare and eat my children. Is it a good step for us? Maybe, maybe not but google our healthcare stats and compare internationally. The system needs a fix, a better argument would be that this is the wrong fix.
I know several Canadians on here who hate the system. And have read stories of others who have died as a result of its rationing.

Way to go genius. You could have started with the "better argument" instead you felt the need to insult the good people on here who are just asking questions.

BTW God is spelled with a cap it’s a proper name.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know several Canadians on here who hate the system. And have read stories of others who have died as a result of its rationing.
Many people have also died in the USA after their insurance deemed a condition as "pre-existing" but if you want to argue health care lets go, I did a term paper on the difference between US and Canada health care a year or so back and I'm sure I'm more knowledgeable on the subject.

Way to go genius. You could have started with the "better argument" instead you felt the need to insult the good people on here who are just asking questions.
I don't believe I insulted anyone, does anyone feel insulted?

Maybe for you it is.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Many people have also died in the USA after their insurance deemed a condition as "pre-existing" but if you want to argue health care lets go, I did a term paper on the difference between US and Canada health care a year or so back and I'm sure I'm more knowledgeable on the subject.
A TERM PAPER? wow thats heavy dude. you da man. a whole term paper. kewl. LOL

I don't believe I insulted anyone, does anyone feel insulted?
I know you say you didnt but I believe it was intentional.

Maybe for you it is.
Well me and the rest of the English speaking world. A name is always capitalized, right? But you know that there dontcha Mr."term paper" Im sure you did it for effect.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Living close to the border, I get Canadian tv, and at least once a week there is a story ****ing and moaning about having to close a hospital for lack of funds, or having to go to the States for this treatment or that, or a shortage of doctors or nurses or drugs or beds or whatever. They come down here and clog up our medical services. They are not happy with their system; apparently the only ones that are are the ones who do not have to use it.

·
Banned
108 Posts

god with a capital "G" because it's a proper name? ROFLMAO. Glad YOU think so. Believe it or not there are quite a few of us who think otherwise.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
god with a capital "G" because it's a proper name? ROFLMAO. Glad YOU think so. Believe it or not there are quite a few of us who think otherwise.
I believe in the ignorance of man. and I believe I really don’t care what you think :thumb:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Living close to the border, I get Canadian tv, and at least once a week there is a story ****ing and moaning about having to close a hospital for lack of funds, or having to go to the States for this treatment or that, or a shortage of doctors or nurses or drugs or beds or whatever. They come down here and clog up our medical services. They are not happy with their system; apparently the only ones that are are the ones who do not have to use it.
Without insulting anyone I will attempt to summarize both systems, keep in mind there are 4000 page books describing the differences.

The Canadian system has a focus on efficiency. If a cancer patient has a 1% chance of living and the cost of treatment is 200k the Canadian system would see the person die. The ideology is that it is better for that person to be happy in their remaining months rather then hooked to machines and drugged out of their minds for a relatively small possibility of life. This is also much cheaper on society.

In the American system the same cancer patient would be drugged up and hooked to everything in existence, puking from treatments and hurting from tests until their very last breath (or until their insurance runs out) and in return they receive a chance at life. Even if this costs 500k it will be done if the insurance company covers it.

Which one is better?

These stats are a little old but taken from "Differences that Matter" by Dan Zuberi. He explains that Americans spend close to 5k per person on health care, leave millions uninsured, have a higher infant mortality, and a lower life expectancy then Canada where they spend closer to 3k per person and leave nobody uninsured.

Is the Canadian system perfect, hell no. Is Obamacare the best plan of action, probably not, but is it at least a start? I believe so.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am Canadian. It does not sound like the U.S. will have the same type of health care which we Cdn's have enjoyed for years and some of us take for granted. Most of us ARE THANKFUL for the fact that if we are truly sick or injured (and unfortunately its also abused if someone has a runny nose etc and run to a Dr, ER or walk in clinic for very minor things) that ALL will be attended to by a Dr. and there is never any charge for it. The most we have to pay for is parking if at a Hosp.or maybe Dr's office, depending where they are located.
We may have to pay for prescriptions out of pocket if we don't have a private plan (paid for by the co. we work for as a benefit) or if we are not, then we can be under the Govt's "Trillium plan" where you pay a deduction based on last years income/family size and the govt pays 100% after the deduction; or we could be on Assistance/Disability where the govt. pays 100% of prescriptions.
None of us pay for any Lab bloodwork, xrays, mri's, cat scans, ETC. I personally would not want to live in the US or be any part of it in comparison to the health care system that Canada offers.
It is true that there is a dr shortage and we do have to wait to see our own personal Dr..(make an appt. weeks in advance for routine stuff) but that is not always the case either. I've heard of people who call up and get in same day. If we MUST see a Dr. that day and can't get in, we go to the walk in clinic and see one there. They even have where you can make an appt. online so you're not waiting there for hours. We're rarely sick so never used this feature yet. In our own walk in, you could 'register', then if you're feeling well enough, go shopping in the adjoined mall and come back at the aprx. time that they say to return by. -example- come back in an hour.
If we're not sure if we need to be seen by a Dr, there is Telehealth. A 1-800 no. You call, give your symptoms and a nurse will tell you if its immediate, wait a few days, or what to do--homecare etc.
Wait times are def'ly a problem which may or may not be the case in the U.S. If by watching Tv such as the old show ER, then its also a problem there too. When my daughter burned herself, they took us right in, attended to her hand and we were out in 20-30 mins. I think less but it was several yrs ago.
But I have to wait at times a day or two to get an appt. at my vet's these days too--they are busy and that $ is coming out of my own pocket!
I would not trade Canada for the U.S. We also have $ that comes to us monthly from the govt. for our children. Child Tax Credit I think its called..I call it Baby Bonus bcz thats what it was called when I was a kid. This is up to a few hundred dollars per month per child. We do what we want with it. There are also other programs with $ that are for kids under 6 only- and also those in sports.
Between Baby Bonus and Health Care, I'll keep Canada. The American people don't know what they are missing out on but it appears that the system the U.S. is getting is very different. If it were like ours, you'd not be upset about it.
I just wanted to add that the Cdn system isn't perfect...but its really nice to be able to go to a Dr. or seek any type of medical care without worrying if you can afford it.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.