Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hippie with a Mac-11
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw at a flea market the other day a baggie of ammo marked as AP. They guy told me it was tungsten core and AP.
However, he didn't seem to know much about ammo, he said it was "the same as 308" and seemed a bit taken aback when I explained the difference (he was a 50something guy seeling knives, militaria, flags, and other vet-ish stuff and I still get carded for cigarrettes.)
The ammo looked different than any 7.62x54 i'd seen before; the cases were that dark green you sometimes see on 7.62x39, and there were markings of 59 or 60 on the base and something in Cyrillic I couldn't read through the packaging.
Anyone ever seen something like that?

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
Standard AP 7.62X54r will have a black tip. This will be the main way to know what you are getting.

HH54r

·
Registered
22,941 Posts
Many steel cores are magnetic. Next time bring that pizza hut magnet you got slapped on your fridge. Modern ammo although is not magnetic.
Sort of. Bear and Wolf make 7.62x54R (the bulk stuff most people buy, because steel is cheaper than brass) that is lead-core with a bi-metal jacket of copper AND steel (because steel is cheaper than copper too!). Steel jacket is not steel core, so just the magnet test may not work. You gotta cut one of them.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts

·
Objectivist
513 Posts
I saw at a flea market the other day a baggie of ammo marked as AP. They guy told me it was tungsten core and AP.
However, he didn't seem to know much about ammo, he said it was "the same as 308" and seemed a bit taken aback when I explained the difference (he was a 50something guy seeling knives, militaria, flags, and other vet-ish stuff and I still get carded for cigarrettes.)
The ammo looked different than any 7.62x54 i'd seen before; the cases were that dark green you sometimes see on 7.62x39, and there were markings of 59 or 60 on the base and something in Cyrillic I couldn't read through the packaging.
Anyone ever seen something like that?
Green tip is usually a tracer round.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just bought a can of the 147gr steel core Silver tips from Copes. Is this a true Penetrator type round or just a steel jacket.

Just like to know

surfing around and found a good video of some Mosin performance shooting. when they zoom in on the 640 yard target, you can observe a couple of the rounds warping the air on it's way downrange. keep an eye to the left of the target.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If I remember where I got it I will post it.I got a mixed lot of 7.62x54r that had some AP along with tracers etc online a few months ago,it was a special someone had with a big mixed lot,I got it for collecting the country makes etc.
But like already said,black tip SHOULD be AP but watch out as some people reported that some gunshow sellers etc are painting the tips black to make a quick buck.

Ok I got it here but they are out.
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.