Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love model railroading. My favorite scales are HO, G, and I'm just starting to get interested in 2-rail O scale. Does anybody else like model railroading, and if so what are your favorite scales, operating systems (mine is DCC), and favorite layout configuration?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I love model railroading. My favorite scales are HO, G, and I'm just starting to get interested in 2-rail O scale. Does anybody else like model railroading, and if so what are your favorite scales, operating systems (mine is DCC), and favorite layout configuration?
As a person who has too many hobbies, I've looked at model trains and, sure they're neat. But why? I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but what enjoyment can one get from watching a toy train go around in circles, it's as bad as sitting and watching NASCAR. At least R/C planes and Helis can do tricks, Model rockets leave the ground.

All that being said, I do like full sized trains, steam powered ones especially.

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a person who has too many hobbies, I've looked at model trains and, sure they're neat. But why? I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but what enjoyment can one get from watching a toy train go around in circles, it's as bad as sitting and watching NASCAR. At least R/C planes and Helis can do tricks, Model rockets leave the ground.

All that being said, I do like full sized trains, steam powered ones especially.
First, every kid loves them and some of us (including myself) haven't fully grown out of it.

Second, model railroading envolves a whole lot more than watching NASCAR . It combines painting, architecture, landscaping, wiring, and a lot more into one. Now yes, if you boil it down you're watching a toy going in fancy circles, but you can't help but smile.

·
Survivor
16,310 Posts
I have played around with them years ago, helped build an HO layout with a club, moved on to other hobbies. I do still have probably close to a hundred feet of HO track, a few engines and quite a few cars, including the Lionel Rock Island switcher train set I got for Christmas in 1961.

I also have my Dad's O gauge train set from the 40's as well as several sets of N gauge trains all in the bathroom closet, not to mention the HO slot cars and probably 50 feet of Aurora track.

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have played around with them years ago, helped build an HO layout with a club, moved on to other hobbies. I do still have probably close to a hundred feet of HO track, a few engines and quite a few cars, including the Lionel Rock Island switcher train set I got for Christmas in 1961.

I also have my Dad's O gauge train set from the 40's as well as several sets of N gauge trains all in the bathroom closet, not to mention the HO slot cars and probably 50 feet of Aurora track.
What type of HO engines you have and how many? Due to a low budget I currently have six locos but I will get a seventh at the end of the month.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I used to love it. It brings together some aspects of other hobbies like modeling, art/sculpture, painting, electronics, planning, scheduling, etc.
Had to put it aside for other pursuits.
Maybe when I retire.

·
Survivor
16,310 Posts
What type of HO engines you have and how many? Due to a low budget I currently have six locos but I will get a seventh at the end of the month.
I've got a couple of Aurora Santa-Fe diesels, a Lionel Rock Island switcher and as I recall, a blue and yellow diesel, not sure what it is (it was my BIL's and was left here when we bought the house), haven't had them out of the closet in probably 20 years.

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to love it. It brings together some aspects of other hobbies like modeling, art/sculpture, painting, electronics, planning, scheduling, etc.
Had to put it aside for other pursuits.
Maybe when I retire.
I hope I never give it up. The only way I'll give it up is if a EMP fried all my trains or I have be on the run.

·
Registered
916 Posts
First, every kid loves them and some of us (including myself) haven't fully grown out of it.

Second, model railroading envolves a whole lot more than watching NASCAR . It combines painting, architecture, landscaping, wiring, and a lot more into one. Now yes, if you boil it down you're watching a toy going in fancy circles, but you can't help but smile.
Ok, I can understand the sense of accomplishment from the tiny scenes you make for the model. I guess it's just not for me.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I haven't for many many many years:)
Way back in time, I used to work part time at a train shop (fed my hobby). Best job ever (didn't pay much though).
HO is my favorite, you can get more into a smaller space and N is too small.

·
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0
3,660 Posts
Any model making hobby is an excellent past time.... I worked part time in a hobby
store, and got to see all the different areas. I personally like scratch building science
fiction, so kit bashing stuff from the model railroad section was amazing. I have the
greatest respect for all model makers. The attention to detail, the ability to make and
work from your own working drawings, and to make parts from scratch are very
useful skills. I don't do much anymore, but I still check out Finescale Modeler and
Hobby Japan online..

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
3,406 Posts
I love building HO scale layouts, but for years I have been restricted by space and moving all the time. I have quite a few moving boxes full of locos and rolling stock that I have collected over the years. My favorite is an old 4-8-4 Athern. Now that I am not moving every 3 years, I hope to build a large layout.

·
Crusty Old B*stard
1,007 Posts
A buddy of mine and I built one many years ago. Spent many hours planning the layout, drinking beer, laying track, drinking beer, buying rolling stock, drinking beer, building scenery, drinking beer, wiring switches...and drinking beer. It took months of planning and building, and when it was finished it looked like a million bucks. We ran it for a couple of hours before we came to the conclusion that while building it was fun, running the silly thing was just boring. Tore it all down and gave it to a kid down the street the following weekend. Then we went to our local sports bar, watched some football...and had a couple of beers.

·
Survivor
16,310 Posts
A buddy of mine and I built one many years ago. Spent many hours planning the layout, drinking beer, laying track, drinking beer, buying rolling stock, drinking beer, building scenery, drinking beer, wiring switches...and drinking beer. It took months of planning and building, and when it was finished it looked like a million bucks. We ran it for a couple of hours before we came to the conclusion that while building it was fun, running the silly thing was just boring. Tore it all down and gave it to a kid down the street the following weekend. Then we went to our local sports bar, watched some football...and had a couple of beers.
And there you have it, I am always looking for another challenge and once I feel validated, I usually move on to learning something new. Although I'm seriously considering getting back into brewing award winning beer.:D:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts