Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to stop paying $6 a pack and start making my own. I bought a bag of Texas Roll 'Em and a box of King filters and one of those cheapo filling machines. After a day of practice, I'm wondering just what I'm doing wrong. One of these cigarettes is so strong that it feels like I'm smoking a cigar. Can barely breath after a couple of puffs. And this is the ULTRA LIGHT type. Can't imagine the full flavors! Anyway, any tips? I pack them enough that they have the consistency of a real cigarette and they're too strong. I put less tobacco in there and it just falls apart. What am I doing wrong? Do I just have a bad brand of filter and tobacco? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My wife just started this as well. A carton of tubes with filters is about $3.00, and 6 oz of tobacco, also enough for a carton is about $11.00. The packer was $7.00. $14.00 a carton and she loves hers. I would say try another tobacco. Hers is Red River Regular.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've decided to stop paying $6 a pack and start making my own. I bought a bag of Texas Roll 'Em and a box of King filters and one of those cheapo filling machines. After a day of practice, I'm wondering just what I'm doing wrong. One of these cigarettes is so strong that it feels like I'm smoking a cigar. Can barely breath after a couple of puffs. And this is the ULTRA LIGHT type. Can't imagine the full flavors! Anyway, any tips? I pack them enough that they have the consistency of a real cigarette and they're too strong. I put less tobacco in there and it just falls apart. What am I doing wrong? Do I just have a bad brand of filter and tobacco? Any help is appreciated.
I bought some criss cross pipe tobabbo at the tobacco shop and zig zags. I had tried the cig machines and just gave up..lol

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Ditch the machine.........roll your own.........believe me, folks have been doing it for thousands of years.......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stop smoking? Sorry, just thought I'd get it out of the way. :) I've never tried a pipe, but it seems to be more cumbersome. At home it'd be nice, but I like that I can carry 20 cigs with me at a time in my pocket while I'm at work and out and about. I know people have been rolling their own for years, but I like having a filter. Only problem is, I don't think these filters do anything.

·
Wit is educated insolence
209 Posts
I've stocked up on TOP papers and tobacco both in menthol for me and light tobacco for the wife. TOP seem of consistent quality and smoke ability.

At the moment these TOP supplies are stored for future use but when I run out of regular cigs I roll my own on occasion. If you are a baby boomer and can't roll you must have slept through woodstock.

Here's a link to where I buy my supplies:

http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=90_38

Regards
Froley

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a baby boomer, but my parents are! My dad was a combat medic in Vietnam when Woodstock was going on, though. I've never been into weed, so yeah...never learned how to roll my own. I can drink my own, though. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I hand rolled for years, then switched to filters. Wore out a Premier table top machine then switched to a Top tabletop machine (which I like better than the Premier). The reason that I started rolling my own is that I could not find a store bought cigarette that was strong enough for me. I like a strong smoke. The ryo tobacco is usually just that, tobacco. It lacks many of the chemicals that are usually added to make the smoke smoother and stay lit.
I am not familiar with the brand you mentioned, however if you switch to the light tubes they will probably be right for you, I can't stand them. They have little holes around the filter and to me are way too light, but everyone is different. Now if the tobacco that you chose is labeled as a pipe tobacco, and at that price I would guess that it is, it probably is a tobacco with casing which could definitely account for the strong flavor. I personally don't like pipe tobaccos in cigarettes, only in pipes, which leads me to pay premium for real cigarette tobacco. There are some pipe tobaccos that are virtually identical to cigarette tobacco and are labeled as such to skirt the cigarette taxes. Four aces and Bronco are pretty good pipe tobaccos for cigs but I believe Bronco went out of business and Four aces is not available here.
Get yourself some Top regular or light and definitely get a table top machine. They pay for themselves almost immediately. I can stuff a pack of tubes in about 3 minutes. You definitely will not find Top for that price and if you do send me a case!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use Gambler, It's a lot like Camel used to be. Criss Cross is a pipe tobacco that is cut like cig. tobacco, but the mosture is a little higher. Taxes are higher on cig. than pipe. 8oz. of gambler tube cut is $5 more than 16oz. of criss cross. Let the criss cross air dry a little and it works in a tube stuffer. I had problems with the little tube stuffers and got a gambler crank machine. I didn't start stuffing my own because of price but because of the fire safe junk. Wouldn't go back now. Fed taxes went up over 2000% last April on bulk cig tobacco, from less than $1.10 lb. to over $22.00.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
We have not bought tobacco for the purpose of smoking... but rather for trade items..

loose tobacco we placed in zip locks and vac sealed them... opened one we sealed 3 years ago with a vac sealer and it is still fresh. We bought large bags from the tobacco store down the road that is just in loose bags for resale to the public... was cheaper that way.

also stored a good amount of papers, rollers, and items needed in that category... to include a dozen or so pipes, cleaners, pipe tobacco (did the same sealing )

When and if it becomes needed for trade item... we can barter.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
You should spend your effort on quitting. Smokers are not survivalists (quite to the contrary actually).

I do not smoke... have not for 12 years. Stopped drinking a good long time back...and like it or not a good many people will trade information, gear i might be short on, and other things for tobacco... not all people afterwards are going to be actual survivalists... many are going to be nothing but leeches and vermin...yet they often have information that might be needed adnd gear as well...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.