Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His book series on the up and coming global collapse read like field manuals.

You learn stuff while being glued to your chair hour after hours. He has two series, the first series is the best. Book 2 can be skipped, its a mundane survival manual.
I gave my set to my grand daughter, so you will have to find the book names.

If you have not read them, or have never been in the military. You need to read them.

·
Super Moderator
14,454 Posts
Hes been discussed on here a bit. I've read his books and, ehh.

His writing leaves something to be desired. However, my biggest problem is his polarization of characters.

Either you are a God fearing Christian(or become one) or your a communist, cannible, murderer, rapist. With him you are either an angel, or a demon. No in between.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,177 Posts
Patriots, Surviving the coming collapse.
This is actually the book that kicked my preparedness up a notch. I read it years ago while in the sandbox and was "inspired" a bit.

Rawles is what we affectionately call a "gear queer". He spends a lot of time detailing the rig that someone wears or the method by which someone obtained a pair of boots. Sometimes so much so that it distracts from the story.

The rest of the book names don't matter because they are copy/paste of the first book (literally in some places).

He also runs a website called survivalblog that has some decent stuff but its all sanitized for his way of thinking.

Like Hawk mentioned, you are either an angel or a demon in his mind.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you like Rawles then try Jerry D. Young. Jerry is a more prolific writer and he does a fair bit of homework. He covers all matter of scenarios. I wouldn't base all my preps on what he writes but he does entertain and provide some worthy food for thought. Rawles is essentially a one-trick pony, i.e. economic collapse and a UN take-over.

RR

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Hes been discussed on here a bit. I've read his books and, ehh.

His writing leaves something to be desired. However, my biggest problem is his polarization of characters.

Either you are a God fearing Christian(or become one) or your a communist, cannible, murderer, rapist. With him you are either an angel, or a demon. No in between.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
This is a great description. You see this often when someone has spent years entrenched in this singular idea of society/people. You see it from a lot of prolific posters here as well.

By reading/listening to his stuff I get the impression he has had little interaction with folks outside of his ReDoubt-survivalism circles.

·
Bugged out already
4,080 Posts
I read one of his books about a decade ago. His works may be an OK source for someone new to survivalism whose goal is to “gear up.” I found the book to be boring, uninspiring and very basic in nature.

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
I read one of his books about a decade ago. His works may be an OK source for someone new to survivalism whose goal is to “gear up.” I found the book to be boring, uninspiring and very basic in nature.
I have read a few of his books. Not all. Comparatively speaking, I would use his books as a reference for a beginner prepper long before considering a book written by a former jail guard on room clearing.

I have to agree with an above poster on Rawles' interactions with society apparently limited to a very small circle.

·
Super Moderator
14,454 Posts
That is an accurate view of the world. Look how Christians are being wiped off the map globally and in cyberspace.
If you honestly want to get into a discussion about polarization of behavior and religion, then id take that to the religious section.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,553 Posts
I tried reading a lot of Rawles survivalblog a few years ago but some is ok but most not really for me. I like his writing on the great American Redoubt mainly since I really like the states he says comprise the American Redoubt, which is mainly Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.
WY is the least populated, most conservative and best hunting and fishing from my experience. All I will say about Rawles.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Patriots is not only the worst written book I have ever read, but also the most bizarre. It makes Red Dawn look believable by comparison. The main characters are one dimensional, self righteous lunatics who are just vehicles used by Rawles to pontificate his political and religious viewpoints. It is supposed to be a survival manual disguised as a novel, but you would have to be a millionaire to achieve the level of preparedness he teaches in Patriots, which is all moot as far as the average guy is concerned.

His blog is not bad though.

·
-.-. --.-
2,198 Posts
Patriots is not only the worst written book I have ever read, but also the most bizarre. It makes Red Dawn look believable by comparison. The main characters are one dimensional, self righteous lunatics who are just vehicles used by Rawles to pontificate his political and religious viewpoints. It is supposed to be a survival manual disguised as a novel, but you would have to be a millionaire to achieve the level of preparedness he teaches in Patriots, which is all moot as far as the average guy is concerned.

His blog is not bad though.
Isn't Patriots the one where they're shaking down poor people on the street in front of their compound and robbing all of their guns or other items which they find "threatening"?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve been incredibly unimpressed with his writings. Unrealistic and exceedingly simplistic. Also, his obsession with junk silver... come on. Is society as a whole really going to decide that, sort of, precious metals are worth the same as tangible goods? Maaaaybe way down the road as society settles back into a money system, but there’s no way I would accept bits of currency that have a small amount of silver when I still need actual food. Come on...

And the character building has already been touched on. It’s stupid. Anyone who’s not a Christian is bad. Maybe you’ll get a character who isn’t your straitlaced WASP and yet isn’t a bad guy, they’ll be written in a patronizing light. Not a fan.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts