Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looks really hard, but it's another tool in the tool chest. BTW this is a follow up vid, he made another one where he shows how he prepares the wood and due to camera battery limitations he cut out a little of the hand cranking and that caused a couple of people to be skeptical. So he did it all over again and showed the complete hand cranking process.

Hope it's not a repost, enojy!

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Had not seen this one (method). Made a fire and got a good workout at the same time!
Saw a man use an old auger type drill, same principal as the crooked stick, with a round wooden dowel chucked up in it....Worked fine.

·
Banned
217 Posts
You get 1 rotation per ~foot of that circular motion with your hand.

A hand drill easily gives 10 rotations each time you rub your hands together back and forth.

A bow drill, depending on size, can easily give a good 20 or 30 for one pull or push.

This is totally inefficient. Nonetheless another cool example of using friction to make a fire...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dig his vids, he can laugh at himself and that's refreshing w/ all these "gurus" out there. Lots of them do nothing but review knives and call themselves "survivalists." His vids are fun to watch and he demonstrates things that aren't that mainstream.

BTW he never once said this method of fire making was efficient or easy. He picked it up from a friend a long long time ago and wanted to pass it on. Pretty cool in my book.

I sub'd a few weeks ago and watched most of his vids, I highly recommend his channel.

You guys have any youtube channel recommendations?

Here's another channel I think is really good - http://www.youtube.com/user/swibo6 He made a 24hr solo trip that's pretty cool.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Something I haven't seen yet either. Nice to know in case you can't find a straight stick.

More work than a bow drill I think BUT I think it would be easier for beginners since they don't have to worry about balancing a spindle. Cool method!

·
Banned
2,281 Posts
i subbed him a few months back too. he comes up with a lot of unique ways of doing things too. his survival vacation video is really good too. super nice guy. everytime i have commented or asked a question about one of his videos he has always replied back. great guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts