Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
They are the finest, without question, knives for their purpose once you learn how to use them.

They are used for everything from chopping up the veggies for dinner, filleting fish, and cutting out a new pair of kamiks (boots).

There are basically two kinds--Eastern or Greenland pattern which has a central tang to a handle and the Western or Alaskan style which has twin tangs going to the handle.

I much prefer the single tang.

Here is a modern folding version that is quite good.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As with any other style of knife, much depends on the steel and the maker. Many Ulus are made strictly for the tourist trade and/or light kitchen use. I believe many traditional Ulus are made from saw blades. I have a couple that are excellent skinners/choppers. Be advised they don't work for batoning!

·
aint afraid of no ghost
2,388 Posts
As with any other style of knife, much depends on the steel and the maker. Many Ulus are made strictly for the tourist trade and/or light kitchen use. I believe many traditional Ulus are made from saw blades. I have a couple that are excellent skinners/choppers. Be advised they don't work for batoning!
LOL you cant baton with them????!!!!! obviously they are useless then if I can not chop a tree down with mah knife its junk mah knifes have to do stuffs yah know things they not made for so I can travels Light!!!

LOL i kid Ulus are great

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
cousin sent me a western style as a gift 20 years ago, very functional tool. saw the Fremont 'farson" tool , the last week, thinkin about one of those , just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
cousin sent me a western style as a gift 20 years ago, very functional tool. saw the Fremont 'farson" tool , the last week, thinkin about one of those , just for the hell of it.
You are truly a mean and terrible person!!!!

Here is your missing link for the "Farson" tool that I'm ordering as soon as I finish this post:
http://fremontknives.com/farsonblade.php

Alas, just what I need, another Ulu.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
heh heh heh..... didn't think you could resist it, and it surprised me as well, thought I would like it thicker till I picked it up, fits really well. only thing I can see that might be a inconvenience is the is the fwd tip of the edge, if ya let a thumb wander up thataway it might get nicked.... im just drawn to the shape and convenience. ordered one as well.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem since the first thing I'll do is remove that stupid cord wrap thusly reducing the angle of the hand to the blade tip..All cords do is trap bacteria...I'll put a strip of friction tape around the handle to prevent slippage, keep my fingers warmer and can be replaced after every use.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
was thinking about that was well, either friction tape or med grit stickyback sand paper. or tape off the blade area and shoot about 4 coats of the aerosol plastidip on it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts