1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a guy.

I'm a good cook.

I've never cooked Leg of Lamb and need a good recipe...

Any suggestions?

:)

·
Registered
882 Posts
im not much of a cook but not picky eather just poor a little beer on it and keep plenty going around while its cooking and you should be set

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
Brine overnight in a salt/sugar solution: 1/4 cup of each/gallon of cold water.

Then make slits all over and stuff with garlic slivers.

Rub with oil and lightly sprinkle with cracked black pepper, salt.

Sear over medium grill for about 30 mins to seal the meat, then wrap with alum foil with some rosemary sprinkled on it.

Finish cooking the wrapped lamb in oven or smoker at 250-325 for about 4 hrs.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I prefer the entire lamb on a spit but... here is a Greek way from a Greek:

6/7 pound leg of lamb, 1/2 cup olive oil, juice of four lemons, 1/4 teaspoon each of thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, 10 peeled garlic cloves.

Remove fell from leg of lamb, piece leg in several places and insert a garlic clove in each incision. Put in pan, pour olive oil over it, rub in. Sprinkle all over with the spices, squeeze the lemons over the leg, marinate overnight. Heat oven to 450F, bake uncovered for 30 minutes, lower the temperature to 350F and cook until tender. OPA!

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Good chops on the grill recipe and pics. I really like this one:
Lamb Chops

And here's a simple one for roast:
Roast Lamb Rack Ingredients
1 Rack of lamb
1/2 tsp Cracked pepper
2 tbs Olive oil
1/4 tsp Oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder

Remove back bone from meat. Preheat oven to 400. Trim all fat. Trim meat from top & in between each bone. Crack at joint. Rub meat with oil. Sprinkle with seasonings & salt. Roast 30 minutes. Serve with Mint Jelly.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Do it the welsh way!

Wales is renowned for, among other things their Lamb.
Stab it and put sprigs of rosemary in the holes.
Then grind up some chopped rosemary (must be fresh) with oil and the coarsest salt you can find (a hefty pinch) in a pestle and mortar (enough to bruise it at least) and rub it into the meat.
Cook for as long and as slow as you can (start it in the morning to be ready in the evening) do not cover and you will have people fighting over the end pieces!
Be sure to make use of the juices for gravy- red wine.
If its good lamb then you needn't do anything else with it.

Serve with Roast vegetables. (Leaks fried in butter are good)

Reactions: jfountain2

·
Talk To The Hand
658 Posts
Go Greek!

Guy here, too. I also love to cook and do all the family cooking.

I LOVE lamb, but my all time favorite roast lamb recipe has to be arni youvetsi (Greek style lamb and orzo). I'm posting the link to the recipe I've used twice to rave revues.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Arni-Youvetsi-Lamb-and-Orzo-164185

Ah, heck, I'll just paste it here. Enjoy!

Arni Youvetsi (Lamb and Orzo) Recipe #164185
This is a traditional 'Sunday Lunch' dish. The orzo (a kind of pasta that is shaped like large grains of rice) cooks in the liquid released by the lamb and tomato and becomes very tasty. Many make it with a cut of beef suitable for roasting, cut into large pieces, or even with chicken pieces.
by evelyn/athens
2½ hours | 20 min prep

SERVES 8

4 lbs leg of lamb (the weight is approximate)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup melted butter or olive oil
1 1/2 cups water
2 lbs fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and pureed
1 large onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (depending on preference)
1 lb orzo pasta
freshly-grated parmesan cheese or kefalotiri

Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
Wash and pat dry the leg of lamb. Rub with the lemon juice and pour melted butter or olive oil over. Season generously with salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. Place in a large baking pan and pour wine, 1 cup water, the tomato puree, minced onion, garlic and cinnamon around meat (if you have an earthenware casserole - even better!). Give the sauce a stir and roast, turning meat over occasionally when you see a crust forming (to brown all sides) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (note: Greeks like their lamb well-done, if you prefer a shorter cooking time, cook to your personal preference).

In a large saucepan, bring plenty of water to the boil, salt generously and boil the orzo pasta for 8 minutes. Remove and drain - retain a cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the lamb casserole and give everything a stir to distribute orzo throughout the pan.

Increase heat to 400F (200C) and continue to bake another 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is fully cooked and has absorbed most of the liquid in the pan (it should still be fairly 'juicy' - not dry). If the pasta is too dry, stir in enough of the pasta cooking water you've retained to keep it saucy.

Have lots of freshly-grated parmesan or kefalotiri cheese to sprinkle over pasta at table.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fixed the picture for you...

I'll save the seriously twisted replies concerning eating lamb for some other time....:rolleyes:

Attachments

Reactions: Lamb

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
I fixed the picture for you...

I'll save the seriously twisted replies concerning eating lamb for some other time....:rolleyes:
Eating Lamb OK...
jus' not the way y'all are going about it...:D:

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Wales is renowned for, among other things their Lamb.
Stab it and put sprigs of rosemary in the holes.
Then grind up some chopped rosemary (must be fresh) with oil and the coarsest salt you can find (a hefty pinch) in a pestle and mortar (enough to bruise it at least) and rub it into the meat.
Cook for as long and as slow as you can (start it in the morning to be ready in the evening) do not cover and you will have people fighting over the end pieces!
Be sure to make use of the juices for gravy- red wine.
If its good lamb then you needn't do anything else with it.

Serve with Roast vegetables. (Leeks fried in butter are good)
While Welsh may indeed, be the language of heaven, my lamb recipe is better...I use this recipe (from Gordon Ramsay) but I changed it a bit...made it right before Yule...my changes and additions are in red.
I have to agree with you about the leeks ...I also like grilling leeks and brushing them with butter while they are grilling...yum!

Cider and honey roast leg of lamb
Gordon Ramsay

SERVES 6

Apples and cider go wonderfully with lamb. The apples break down on cooking and help thicken the sauce.

1 leg of lamb, about 2kg ( around 4 & 1/2 pounds), fat trimmed and skin scored
Olive oil, to drizzle
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 garlic cloves, skins on and halved
A few sprigs of thyme
3 sprigs rosemary
Juice from half a lemon
4 Russet or Braeburn apples ( used Granny Smith apples)
500ml (2 cups) apple cider PLUS 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Runny honey, to drizzle
300ml (1 & 1/3 cup) lamb or chicken stock

1 Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7 (425 degrees F). Weigh the lamb and calculate the final cooking time at 12 minutes per 450g (1 pound) for medium-rare, 15 minutes per 450g (1 pound)for medium. Score the fat in a criss-cross pattern, then drizzle with a little olive oil and rub all over with salt and pepper. Place in a deep roasting pan and scatter the garlic and thyme (and rosemary) over and around. Pour over the lemon juice and drizzle again with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little more seasoning, then roast in the hot oven for 20 minutes.

2 Slice the apples into quarters and cut off the cores. Remove the lamb from the oven and reduce the heat to 180C/Gas 4 (350 degrees F). Scatter the apples around the pan and pour the cider (and cider vinegar) over the lamb, then turn it over and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of honey (I used about a quarter cup of honey, total). Return to the oven for 30 minutes.

3 Turn the lamb round, baste the meat with the pan juices, then drizzle over another tablespoon of honey. Continue to roast for the calculated time. To check, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the lamb, then press the meat lightly: the redder the juices, the rarer the meat. Lift the lamb on to a carving board and cover with a piece of kitchen foil. Rest it in a warm place while you prepare the gravy.

4 At this point, the apples and garlic in the roasting pan should be very soft. Tip the contents of the pan into a fine sieve set over a saucepan. Push down with the back of a ladle to extract all the juices and flavour, then discard the pulp. Place the pan over a medium heat and add the stock. Bring to the boil and let it bubble vigorously until it has thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then pour into a warm serving jug. Carve the lamb into thin slices and serve drizzled with the apple and cider gravy.

Recipe taken from Cooking for Friends, Text © Gordon Ramsay 2008

(and for those that did not get the reference, a famous quote is:
"English is the language of Men, French is the language of birds, but Welsh, ah, Welsh is the language of Heaven!" )

·
Registered
806 Posts
Blaah - sheep suck.
Cooked over a real wood fire so all that excess grease drains off it becomes edible.
Every other way - well drink enough ouzo, it'll cut the grease off your toungue.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
While Welsh may indeed, be the language of heaven, my lamb recipe is better...I use this recipe (from Gordon Ramsay) but I changed it a bit...made it right before Yule...my changes and additions are in red.
I have to agree with you about the leeks ...I also like grilling leeks and brushing them with butter while they are grilling...yum!

Cider and honey roast leg of lamb
Gordon Ramsay

SERVES 6

Apples and cider go wonderfully with lamb. The apples break down on cooking and help thicken the sauce.

1 leg of lamb, about 2kg ( around 4 & 1/2 pounds), fat trimmed and skin scored
Olive oil, to drizzle
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 garlic cloves, skins on and halved
A few sprigs of thyme
3 sprigs rosemary
Juice from half a lemon
4 Russet or Braeburn apples ( used Granny Smith apples)
500ml (2 cups) apple cider PLUS 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Runny honey, to drizzle
300ml (1 & 1/3 cup) lamb or chicken stock

1 Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7 (425 degrees F). Weigh the lamb and calculate the final cooking time at 12 minutes per 450g (1 pound) for medium-rare, 15 minutes per 450g (1 pound)for medium. Score the fat in a criss-cross pattern, then drizzle with a little olive oil and rub all over with salt and pepper. Place in a deep roasting pan and scatter the garlic and thyme (and rosemary) over and around. Pour over the lemon juice and drizzle again with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little more seasoning, then roast in the hot oven for 20 minutes.

2 Slice the apples into quarters and cut off the cores. Remove the lamb from the oven and reduce the heat to 180C/Gas 4 (350 degrees F). Scatter the apples around the pan and pour the cider (and cider vinegar) over the lamb, then turn it over and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of honey (I used about a quarter cup of honey, total). Return to the oven for 30 minutes.

3 Turn the lamb round, baste the meat with the pan juices, then drizzle over another tablespoon of honey. Continue to roast for the calculated time. To check, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the lamb, then press the meat lightly: the redder the juices, the rarer the meat. Lift the lamb on to a carving board and cover with a piece of kitchen foil. Rest it in a warm place while you prepare the gravy.

4 At this point, the apples and garlic in the roasting pan should be very soft. Tip the contents of the pan into a fine sieve set over a saucepan. Push down with the back of a ladle to extract all the juices and flavour, then discard the pulp. Place the pan over a medium heat and add the stock. Bring to the boil and let it bubble vigorously until it has thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then pour into a warm serving jug. Carve the lamb into thin slices and serve drizzled with the apple and cider gravy.

Recipe taken from Cooking for Friends, Text © Gordon Ramsay 2008

(and for those that did not get the reference, a famous quote is:
"English is the language of Men, French is the language of birds, but Welsh, ah, Welsh is the language of Heaven!" )
Sounds really delicious,.. and I'd probably screw it all up. lol I'd better stick to something simpler. Like having lamb at a local restaurant. I wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good leg of lamb.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont know how any of you feel over food from India. But, I cook alot of Lamb and Goat and I let it sit in Curry over night then slow cook it in the over (starting at 9am, but depends on size)150degrees for most of the day, depending on the size then rub alil more curry on it and I turn up the temp to 350 at 300pm and let it finish so the lamb taste is out cause only me and hubby like the taste. Then I serve it with rice and nani bread. Up to you thou.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts