Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It only slows, and from the one window I've broken with it on, it seems to be more of a convenience for the intruder, no shards of glass left in the frame.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
have you done a search of back posts? I seem to remember reading a few threads about it in the past. i'll see what I can find

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
There are some other threads on this topic but it never hurts to revisit things at times.

It only slows, and from the one window I've broken with it on, it seems to be more of a convenience for the intruder, no shards of glass left in the frame.
Even if it only slows an intruder that is still something. It may slow them enough to where it alerts someone that can actually prevent the break in or it could possibly be enough of a deterrent to make the intruder go elsewhere. That extra minute or two could just save your life.

The other aspect that I look at with it is it would be a HUGE help in keeping your window intact if something where thrown at it. Or again if someone bashes it with something. Not from someone trying to break in but just vandalism.

Would you rather find a window or sliding glass door that is shattered all over the floor or one that is still in the frame?
They can also provide UV protection too and a mirrored reflection that prevents outsiders from seeing in.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My boss swaers by it

I sugest looking into better physical security. A fence locking up the tool shed things of that nature.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Never had any of the security film, but I would look at it from the "weakest link" angle. It may slow someone a little IF you have excellent window frames and really good wood framing around the window. If either of those two are the weakest link.... It is destined to fail. Its like using a 4x4 to pull a stump with plastic chain. If the chain (or any of the components) aren't up to the task, then whats the point.

It may help prevent glass shards from coming inside but is it worth the price? Although pricier, you may want to consider cage bars on the window (with inside release mechanisms, of course). Helps keep things out without barricading you in.

Maintainer of the groups "Discount Survival Gear Hunters" & "Dehydrators Anonymous".

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Can't beat the big dog at the window.

I work with security film, it's not going to stop a blunt object, maybe small arms fire though. But what are the chances a burglar is going to shoot out your window...slim to none.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Hello all,

I was looking at ways to "harden" my home. In particular I'm looking into my options for our doors and windows. During my research I came across several articles on the effectiveness of Security Film.

Do any of you have experience with security film? Would you recommend it?
I thought about it, but I decided against it for one reason... hurricanes. You are in SW Florida, so you may know what I mean...

But if a hurricane or tornado hit, the security film would keep the window in ONE HUGE piece of flying glass. This is more likely to seriously hurt you than a window that was broken into a lot of small pieces.

Granted, this probably not as big as a concern as I may be making it out to be, but I have had windows blown out before in previous canes. So just something to think about.

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Hurricane shutters on all my windows, so that concern, at least is addressed. My interest in the film was more one of how to secure the windows in my home. They are the weakest link, but I can't replace them with steel or other material as it would make the house itself dark and unlivable.

I'm not looking to stop entry, only slow it down long enough to allow me to respond. I was curious if people in this forum had actual experience with the film and could confirm the claims made by the vendors of the security film.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
Security film only works properly if it's installed into the frame. Just sticking it on existing windows doesn't do much. Because the glass will still break at the edge of the frame where the security film ends. Now if you're installing new windows and can put the film on the glass all the way to the edge, plus have frames that are strong enough to handle the impact, the results are pretty impressive. But it's just not very useful if you plan to go around sticking it to your existing windows.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It is excellent! I work for governement contractor we use it to harden targets to blasts from outside. The film can be anchored to the frame of the window which will make the glass basiclly impenetrable for all intents. I'll check my stash of CDs and see if i can find information on its availablitly. if its not anchored to the frame the glass can be shattered and pulled out in mostly one piece. The sheeting is available in different thicknesses depending on the magnatude of the threat. Their are also blast curtains that are anchored at each end and contain glass shards from explosions outside very effective in reducing deaths due to flying debris which is responsible for most deaths caused by external explosions.

·
Prepper in Training
228 Posts
Sounds good from what I read on it. I do intend to get it as well. It's not expensive.

Great tip on havinging it go into the frame though I did not think of that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
They will sell to the public. to retain the film you over lap it on the framework fold it over and screw the metal strips to the frame pinching the film down tight. I had forgotten all about it until I saw this post.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
They will sell to the public. to retain the film you over lap it on the framework fold it over and screw the metal strips to the frame pinching the film down tight. I had forgotten all about it until I saw this post.
As long as something retains the film. I can't believe the number of people that overlook that and think that just sticking it to windows will make them impervious. It's a fascinating technology that would be very handy if applied right. If/when I build my house in the country, I'm going to install it from the beginning.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have the film installed on my windows. However it remains "untested" for me. (ie, noone has tried to break in). I did however get an offcut of the film and i can confirm the stuff I have at least is very tough stuff indeed.

You can get different grades of film, and different methods of attaching. Some grades are bullet/explosion resistant (depending on the thickness of the glass its attached to). I have 12mil film (I think the minimum thickness standard for security film is 7 mil). Obviously to work effectively the film needs to be anchored to the frame.

Also, make sure you install the film on the INSIDE of the window or they will get in very quickly with a Stanley knife :)

One of the good things about the film is that it doesnt break the bank (unlike bars/shutters can do), and also, you cant see it blocking your view :)

I really see no downside (other than you have to pay for it), if you want more security you can always add bars etc later, and you'll have double layers of protection then :)

Most government buildings in this country at least have the film installed, and I think it "may" be a mandatory requirement for all new government buildings... (not entirely sure on that one). I know the contractor who installed my film told me that 95% of his work comes from the government.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts