Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres many here who seem to have supplies buried away from their home, but what about at your home, either in the backyard or under your house. Would this be a good idea, in particular, food temps, animals trying to get into a rubbermade tote of food. Would items like ammo, can foods, etc stay "ok" in the ground? Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
I won't bury anything myself.
If I'm not man enought to keep my supplies without burying them,
then I deserve to lose them.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
The dirt is so hard under my house, I can't imagine trying to dig in it. However, I could box stuff up in rubber totes and place them through out under my house. Lots of areas to do so. But since I'm not fond of spiders, that will be a last resort for me.
Most of my supplies are stored in one room. I have the ability to block that room off from the rest of the house and stay holed up in it.
Guess it wouldn't do much good if the military showed up and said 'give us all your stuff'.
I would then have to rely on my cats to go catch dinner! ugh

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I want to have ready access to everything. The thought especially of burying anything related to weaponry, strikes me as foolish and potentially fatal.

Additionally, along the lines of another poster here, I am indeed woman enough to defend and to keep that which is mine.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
I won't bury anything myself.
If I'm not man enought to keep my supplies without burying them,
then I deserve to lose them.
Don't know how your manliness will come into play when the BATFE comes knocking on your door but I guarantee it that they are 100 times the man you are, simply because they'll bring that many people if needed...or more.

The only good reason to bury stuff is so that you have a back up for your back up. You don't bury your main cache, you bury the stuff you'll need if they come and confiscate your main set up.

As for the original question, if you bury something it shouldn't be anywhere that it's obvious, like under your house or in your yard. It should be buried where you will escape to. (BOL)

Every alphabet agency out there has a dedicated internet section. They have guys that do nothing but sit at computers all day and browse websites like this one. They compile all kinds of intelligence and they are quite aware that a huge number of firearms owners bury guns and ammo for the worst case scenario where they are outlawed and confiscated. Therefore, if they know that you own firearms (and if you posted on the internet that you do they will know, even if you don't have anything registered) they will assume you might have buried guns and ammo. They can very easily determine if anything is buried under or around your house.

My brother in law works for a company that does airborne hyper spectral remote sensing. A couple months ago he was sent to Afghanistan to find land mines. He flew in a helicopter with all this equipment set up under the belly of the bird and was able to pin point land mines and IEDs buried along roads.

The technology has much broader applications. They can find oil and mineral deposits from the air for example, so imagine how easy your stash could be found under your house or around your yard. If they know where to look, they'll find it in minutes.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I would not put anything vital down there, maybe extra stores of water/food if sealed extremely well.

make sure you can get to it relatively easily.

T

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Don't know how your manliness will come into play when the BATFE comes knocking on your door but I guarantee it that they are 100 times the man you are, simply because they'll bring that many people if needed...or more.
My womanliness and conscience will come into play, should the BATF come knocking on MY door.

It is a matter of standing for PRINCIPLE, Declan. Is this a foreign concept to you, as well?

Would you freely give up YOUR firearms, if the BATF come knocking on YOUR door?

I suspect so.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
When you have to bury your stuff to keep it maybe its time to load your gun.
Its ok to have a backup if you get blind sided but I want mine right here so I can use it if I need it. They will come like a thief in the night.
I do know someone who did this my Old uncle Larry he buried some stuff under his house. He passed and we dug it up and he had buried $117.000 dollars in silver coins and some paper in gallon glass jars. :) Good old Uncle Larry a lifetime NRA member and an avid hunter left me all his guns 14 of them seven got stolen but I have the remainder. Uncle larry died drinking Wild Turkey at the Lions Club. That guy could shoot a goose and clean it as it fell out of the air. So bury something your kids or some one will find someday that is worth having. Here is to Uncle Larry. Cheers

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Would you freely give up YOUR firearms, if the BATF come knocking on YOUR door?

I suspect so.
You don't need to do any suspecting. I'll tell you straight up: Yes. If they come to confiscate my guns, I'll give them the guns. What good are guns(and principals for that matter) if you're dead?

It's so easy to be brave on the internet but the truth is that unless you are part of a dug in, ready to do battle, locked and loaded, and prepared to die group of toughies, you're gonna fold like a cheap suit.

But hey, don't let me spoil your fantasies.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
When you have to bury your stuff to keep it maybe its time to load your gun.
Its ok to have a backup if you get blind sided but I want mine right here so I can use it if I need it. They will come like a thief in the night.
That is exactly why you have a buried stash...

If you engage the JBTs when they come knocking for your guns and ammo, you will die, no matter how long it takes. Is that what you want? What about your little ones? Are you willing to sacrifice their lives a la Waco, TX for your principals?

Wouldn't you rather live to fight another day, on your terms?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
in dancing with Wolves, Kevin Costner reported to an abandoned fort along with a shipment of supplies for a platoon of men. When confronted by Kicking Bird, he decided to "bury excess ordinance lest it fall into enemy hands."

It's up to everyone to decide what defines 'excess', but since most of us exist as single combatants facing who knows how many- it may be a good idea to have a cache somewhere. Perhaps a carbine and ammo. clothes and food for several days. (probably a good idea to travel light if you need the cache in the first place)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
You don't need to do any suspecting. I'll tell you straight up: Yes. If they come to confiscate my guns, I'll give them the guns. What good are guns(and principals for that matter) if you're dead?

It's so easy to be brave on the internet but the truth is that unless you are part of a dug in, ready to do battle, locked and loaded, and prepared to die group of toughies, you're gonna fold like a cheap suit.

But hey, don't let me spoil your fantasies.
Yeah sure, Declan.

You are a coward, nothing more.

So when do you decide to stand for principle? When it is convenient and does not entail any risk to you?

Gutless.

This country was fought for and founded by people who were willing to die FOR PRINCIPLE.

You strike me as one of these dilettantes who is very good at effusing rhetoric, but does not have what it takes to actually BACK UP that rhetoric.

I was ready to die for my country when I served in the armed forces. This would not at all be a foreign concept to me.

I would expect to die from any confrontation with the authorities, over the confiscation of my RIGHTFULLY OWNED guns. But at least I will have died WITH HONOR and will not have shrunk away in the face of adversity in pusillanimity.

·
Banned
317 Posts
I finally had to stop buying food after running out of space, however, every time that I go to town I buy just a "little" bit more....... have to find another hobby hahahahahahah.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Ponce : I got a new hobby. I'm collecting the state quarters and putting them on boards
to give to my grand-kids. My whole collection fits behind my easy chair. Think about it !
...............Alaskan.....Dennis....

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Yeah sure, Declan.

You are a coward, nothing more.

Gutless.

You strike me as one of these dilettantes who is very good at effusing rhetoric, but does not have what it takes to actually BACK UP that rhetoric.

You are 52, single, heart broken, a couple fries short of a happy meal and suicidal. It's easy for you to be an internet hero and call people names for not agreeing with your lunatic proclamations.

If you are such a person of principal, why are you working for the federal government?

And what happen to "I will not judge people for not coming out with guns blazing"...or something to that effect? Is flip-flopping one of your ...principals?

Yeah...I know...it's time to put me on your ignore list...:rolleyes:

Pretty soon it will be just you and your 47 cats...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
You are 52, single, heart broken, a couple fries short of a happy meal and suicidal. It's easy for you to be an internet hero and call people names for not agreeing with your lunatic proclamations.

If you are such person of principal, why are you working for the federal government?

And what happen to "I will not judge people for not coming out with guns blazing"...or something to that effect? Is flip-flopping one of your ...principals?
I am SUICIDAL?

You are a fool, Declan and I suspect that you could not 'read' a person, to save your life.

Internet hero? Not me. I'm just a citizen.

What angered me was your drivelish attack against Aubb, questioning his manhood OVER HIS STATEMENT ABOUT NOT GIVING UP HIS GUNS.

So much for 'live and let live', eh Declan? THAT is why that I said what I did. YOU don't have the spine to do what he stated that he will do, so you verbally attack him.

Are you having trouble facing yourself in the mirror, Declan?

You should be.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
What is the reason you are thinking of burying something under your house? Do you have a crawl space that you can reach without letting anyone see you? I guess my hidden stashes are far out from my house becasue I figure when I need them is when I don't want anyone else to see me getting them. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong though.

I can tell you though that for the most part totes don't do well as water tight storage units. We had floods this spring and many, many people were throwing out the contents of their totes that they thought were protected from water. They were not to say the least. Someone on another thread mentioned capped PVC pipes. I like that idea. Mine are in 30 gallon plastic food barrels that I've put in those thingies that suck moisture out of the air (sorry but I can't think of the name right now), then I cemented the barrel shut, then I put it in a large plastic leaf bag and duct taped that closed. Being where I am I have to worry about rain and snow melt getting into the containers.

I feel safer with my stashes out away from my home just because I know that if I have to leave in a hurry I'll still have access to things I need to stay alive.

Tury

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.